EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   aero truck project begins (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aero-truck-project-begins-2269.html)

kevlar 05-11-2008 12:18 PM

aero truck project begins

1 Attachment(s)
I have my cap and skirts on (no, it's not graduation day!) my first tank on the 1992 Toyota truck netted me 30.8 MPG. I'm shooting for 36. Anything over that is bonus. More to come.....Attachment 699

lovemysan 05-11-2008 01:38 PM

lower it. Does it have torsen bar suspension?

kevlar 05-11-2008 02:03 PM

just shock and strut suspension, but future plans call for an underbody panel(s), and lowering. I have to get some welding done on the frame, so I figure when it's on the lift would be the best time to lower. My big mirrors are gone and replaced with small aeros.I have also added wheel skirts.. i'll get some new picts on a less crappy day

FX2.3 05-11-2008 02:07 PM

What is the cap made of?

Looks great!

kevlar 05-11-2008 03:03 PM

Thanks! I used some "FRP" panels (like what you see behind urinals in bars) and CPVC pipe for a frame. so far, it has survived some 80 degree days in the sun, and comes in at probably less than 30 pounds. I haven't weighed it yet because it was a pain to crawl up under and mount. lol!

kevlar 05-11-2008 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started doing some digging, and the actual epa mileage reports are worse than I had assumed.....Attachment 703

kevlar 05-11-2008 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got my skirts, wheel covers and tiny mirrors on... can't wait to see the improved mileage!
Attachment 704

MetroMPG 05-11-2008 08:57 PM

I hate to be a drag (pun intended!), but the transition angle from the cab roof to the aero cap looks pretty steep. A quick Photoshop estimate looks like about 15 degrees. Have you tuft tested to know if it's working?

kevlar 05-11-2008 09:40 PM

I used an angle finder gauge after I built the frame (backwards planning at it's best) and I had about 15 degrees at the top third, 12 degrees at the center, and 10 degrees at the back... In retrospect, I would have taken more time on the angle, but I was P.O.ed at big oil and just wanted to get something started, then I got the bug!

MetroMPG 05-11-2008 09:45 PM

It'd be just about perfect if you'd done 10, 12, 15 front to back :)

kevlar 05-11-2008 09:49 PM

DOH! well, it's gotta be better than an open bed, right? BTW love the blackfly!

kevlar 05-11-2008 09:54 PM

I also need to find material to seal between the cap and cab. I was thinking a 4" strip of something, perhaps a door stripping?

bennelson 05-12-2008 12:01 AM

Looking good!

I was thinking that a strip of rubber roofing material might work well between the cab and bed.

If you can find really wide packaging tape, that's clear and will zip right over that seam.

Do you miss seeing out the back? I love the visibility out the back in my pickup. I have been experimenting with a "aero-tonneau" lately, and don't like how it limits visibility.
http://web.mac.com/benhdvideoguy/iWe...s/DSC06194.jpg

I was thinking about a ridgid, angled cap, that end at a 4" tall vertical piece of plexiglass, instead of even with the top of the tailgate. That would at least let me see if there was a car right behind me or not. Prius' (Prii?) slant down, and then have a little bit of clear at the tail in a similar fashion.

Could you tell us more about the actual construction of your cap? IE "I got out the hair dryer and started melting the material...."

kevlar 05-12-2008 04:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
thanks for the input! Now that you mention it, I bet ice shield rubber would work well. as far as the view goes, I haven't yet cut holes to view backward, but plan to in the near future Attachment 716 The original patient.

PVC frame
Attachment 717

I used a bottle torch to bend, heating slowly,following natural drop angle
Attachment 718

dremd 05-12-2008 05:05 PM

Mad props!

I'm waiting patiently on #'s

Worst case; you know what to do better next time.

2003protege 05-12-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevlar (Post 25007)
it's gotta be better than an open bed, right

I would have to agree. It certainly looks nice. I'm ready to see the numbers after the wheel skirts too!:thumbup:

cfg83 05-12-2008 05:51 PM

kevlar -

Welcome to EM! That PVC framing is sweet. I always have liked the possibilities with PVC, and your execution proves it out.

CarloSW2

SVOboy 05-12-2008 05:53 PM

Nice job! Can't believe I missed this thread, :p. Great to see someone just going out and getting it done, :p

bennelson 05-12-2008 06:13 PM

And that white plastic would match my truck, so I wouldn't even have to paint it I went that route!

kevlar 05-12-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 25283)
And that white plastic would match my truck, so I wouldn't even have to paint it I went that route!

The best thing I noticed while it was sitting in the sun unpainted, it drew no heat! After I painted it, it instantly got hot.....

Chris D. 05-13-2008 02:21 AM

Awesome..

You've gotten the bug back up and running for me now!
I dig how seeing other peoples projects lights the fire back under my ass. :)
I love the cover.. Whats the white materal you used to cover the PVC frame?

as for inbetween the cab and bed, use some of that foam insulation stuff made for water pipes and that mite help? Rollbar padding? Expansion foam?

I'm just the idea guy..
Rather they work is for the engineering department to figure out ;)

elhigh 05-14-2008 06:02 PM

How'd you get paint to stick to the FRP? I'm driving pretty much the same rig and am getting ready to replace my old flush-top cap with an aero like this one. I'll be shooting new paint onto the truck at the same time, so it'll all match up and look stock.

kevlar 05-14-2008 06:15 PM

ok, sit back and try not to laugh too hard whilst I fill you in....... I got some paint from Wally-world for 98 cents a can. I used 8 cans on the truck. The cap and skirts took six more. I used some scotch-Brite pads to scuff up the FRP. I do not know how long it will last, but so far has held up well to two washings and a wet week of highway rain.... Whatever you do, make sure you purchase a spray can trigger! My finger was blistered after the first three cans. This whole thing started last month when I kept looking at this wore down, beat truck sitting in my driveway going to waste. I painted it, drove it, then got the Ecomodder bug!

bennelson 06-01-2008 10:50 PM

Hey Kevlar,

Two weekends ago, I tried playing around with a wood frame with greenhouse glazing over it for an aerocap.

I had problems with trying to get the wood angles to work right. I am not much of a carpenter, and it really didn't work out.

It looks like with your pvc pipes, you were able to make angles work by using PVC T-connections as a swivel.

I see lots of screws in the photos. Did you just use self-tapping screws straight through the FRP into the PVC tube?

Did you have any trouble while heating the panels to bend them? Any over melting, or heating the tube underneith?

kevlar 06-01-2008 11:28 PM

"It looks like with your pvc pipes, you were able to make angles work by using PVC T-connections as a swivel." -

A little swivel and (don't tell the wife) heating of the PVC in the oven to about 110 degrees, then I was able to "form" it to the shape of the cab.

"I see lots of screws in the photos. Did you just use self-tapping screws
straight through the FRP into the PVC tube?" -

I used the self-tapping screws to hold the shape ( careful not to over torque)after I heated it, and pushed it slowly into shape until I could fasten it down, leaving the screws. I then backed up the screws with 1/2 inch saddle straps, nuts and bolts from the inside.

"Did you have any trouble while heating the panels to bend them? Any over melting, or heating the tube underneith? "-

At first, I was heating too quickly and switched to a further, lower heat with a wide flame adapter. If you heat with long, sweeping motions, watch, bend on the line you want, you should be alright. kind of like making the panel rubbery at the line of bend.

kevlar 11-03-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevlar (Post 25264)
thanks for the input! Now that you mention it, I bet ice shield rubber would work well. as far as the view goes, I haven't yet cut holes to view backward, but plan to in the near future Attachment 716 The original patient.

PVC frame
Attachment 717

I used a bottle torch to bend, heating slowly,following natural drop angle
Attachment 718

Just an update to some questions on this thread.... I have since sold the truck to a welder who reinforced the frame and uses it for hauling. The paint held up great, and the cap never lost shape all summer! :0

kevlar 07-01-2010 08:39 AM

Hi all, I'm Still lurking about once and awhile, but I still have nothing worth modding yet. I hope in a month or so to be getting a '97 Tercel... then the bug will bite again! ;)

Big Dave 07-01-2010 08:30 PM

Once again...re-gearing isshown to be a potent strategy.

Chris D. 11-22-2011 09:47 PM

any long term updates? :)

kevlar 12-17-2011 12:29 PM

new update to an old thread. The current owner of the truck added a tall rear end gear and still uses the truck regularly between north and southern Indiana and tows a trailer with it. He says he gets a pretty steady 32-36 mpg's out of it.