EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Aero-Volt Project! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aero-volt-project-37677.html)

conor_v 07-21-2019 06:28 PM

Aero-Volt Project!

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all. I am a new member but a pretty seasoned lurker. I have been inspired to make my Volt go as far as possible on a single battery charge and to get as high an MPG rating on the gas motor as possible.

I have put wayyyy more money into this project than I think I will ever get back in savings however I do not really care as I am more interested in the proof of concept aspect to aerodynamic modifications. I also got this Volt used for $6000 so the money I've put in is wayyyy less than the used market value of my car (I definitely got it for a steal) which actually helps me justify all that I have spent.

I apologize if I did not create this thread in the proper way as I still am trying to figure out my way around this website. I have attached photos of my car in its current state.

Modifications:
1. Passenger Mirror Delete
2. Flat wheel covers
3. Lower air dam (vs. stock)
4. Side skirts
5. Low rolling resistance tires (Michelin Energy Savers)

Future Modification Goals:
1. Underbelly pans (then remove the air dam to lower frontal area while keeping low turbulence under the car)
2. Replace passenger side mirror mounting hole with 3D printed part
3. Boat tail (? this is a maybe. This will be a lot more work than I think I am willing to put in at this moment)

Question for you all:
1. How does one get the wheel covers flush with the wheel without using tape?
-I have my covers velcro'd to the wheels however it leaves a gap between the cover and the rim. I've tested my car with and without the wheel covers on and the wheel covers actually made the car less efficienct.

2. Have any of you dealt with repercussions from the law when deleting the side mirror(s)?
-I looked up the law and the passenger mirror is ok to delete in most states (my license plate says NY but I actually moved to Jersey and go to school in PA where it is ok to not have a passenger side mirror)
-What do y'all tell an officer if you get pulled over? I have the laws with me in the glove box printed for all 50 states, retrieved from their respective official codified laws... Will an officer give me trouble for this in real world cases?

3. Are there any other really worthwhile modifications for a car like the volt?
-Weight reduction is near impossible for this car. Would lighter brake rotors make a difference by reducing rotational mass? I've thought about carbon fiber rims. These both are expensive options though and I do not think it would really be worth it. A lot of the listed ecomods seem like a ton of work and not worth it for the marginal gains. Some I have heard do no good at all like panel gap filling.