EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Aerodynamic mods on the "Tank" (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aerodynamic-mods-tank-11475.html)

Domman56 12-15-2009 09:23 PM

Aerodynamic mods on the "Tank"

So since i've gotten the car i've been slowly improving my fuel economy but i want more

Deleting the rear piping after the stock muffler and putting a turndown saved 10 pounds :D

So now it's only 4490 instead of 4500 pounds
but i still have horrible aerodynamics so i need a few ideas to help this

I'm already planning on lowering my El Camino and putting a tonneau cover on it so those are automatic mods. Sorry i'm not doing flat wheel covers I would put skirts if i could find them for my year el camino though.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

I want to do a flat underbelly but don't know how that would work with this car

winkosmosis 12-15-2009 09:46 PM

Why the exhaust mod? Cutting the piping and letting the exhaust out earlier could allow more fumes into the cabin, killing you with carbon monoxide.

RobertSmalls 12-15-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domman56 (Post 148009)

For serious weight reduction, give it EcoTec power. You'll even gain an OBD-II port for your ScanGauge.

For that matter, give it VTEC.

Christ 12-15-2009 10:00 PM

I've actually got a spare EcoTec motor that needs a timing chain and a head gasket...

BamZipPow 12-15-2009 10:01 PM

I doubt you will find a manufactured skirt fer the El Camino. Yer better off fabbing something on yer own. ;)

How much effort/money/time you looking to put into this as a project? Simple things could be just grill block. Start out basic and work from there...unless yer paying someone else to do it fer you... ;)

Domman56 12-15-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamZipPow (Post 148029)
I doubt you will find a manufactured skirt fer the El Camino. Yer better off fabbing something on yer own. ;)

How much effort/money/time you looking to put into this as a project? Simple things could be just grill block. Start out basic and work from there...unless yer paying someone else to do it fer you... ;)

You know i've actually seen a few 64-65 Elco's with shirts so i figure SOMEONE does it

and if you look in the garage you'll see i'm planning on spening ALOT on this car it's my first car so i'm keeping it forever

my plans are a 800 HP duramax that gets over 30 MPG freeway.. should be fairly easy with this car

Christ 12-15-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domman56 (Post 148036)
You know i've actually seen a few 64-65 Elco's with shirts so i figure SOMEONE does it

and if you look in the garage you'll see i'm planning on spening ALOT on this car it's my first car so i'm keeping it forever

my plans are a 800 HP duramax that gets over 30 MPG freeway.. should be fairly easy with this car

Be careful you don't over-oil your K&N.

Regarding aero, take a piece of rope that can be easily seen, tie it to your front bumper, up and over the highest point of your cab, and down to your back bumper over the tailgate, then snap a digi of it.

Upload the pic here, then check the angle of the string in the pic compared to the ground. I'm fairly certain your cab/tailgate angle will be sufficient to just add a frame and some sheets of coroplast for an aero-cap without too much thought invested. Might be good for a decent gain. :thumbup:

(Try to test it somewhat scientifically, though...)

Domman56 12-15-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkosmosis (Post 148019)
Why the exhaust mod? Cutting the piping and letting the exhaust out earlier could allow more fumes into the cabin, killing you with carbon monoxide.

Dumped it at the rear axle i didn't just cut it and leave it open at the muffler, It's a turndown so really the only time it'd be dangerous is if i commuted and sat in traffic alot.. which i don't , but i know what you're talking about that's how it was when i had straight pipes

Domman56 12-15-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 148028)
I've actually got a spare EcoTec motor that needs a timing chain and a head gasket...

Is it a V6 ECOtech? I'd actually consider that

Domman56 12-15-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 148037)
Be careful you don't over-oil your K&N.

Regarding aero, take a piece of rope that can be easily seen, tie it to your front bumper, up and over the highest point of your cab, and down to your back bumper over the tailgate, then snap a digi of it.

Upload the pic here, then check the angle of the string in the pic compared to the ground. I'm fairly certain your cab/tailgate angle will be sufficient to just add a frame and some sheets of coroplast for an aero-cap without too much thought invested. Might be good for a decent gain. :thumbup:

(Try to test it somewhat scientifically, though...)

Oh i know better than that that's the only way i've seen them be harmful

Yeah I'll try that
I had a flush mounted campershell on it but i prefer the look without it

Christ 12-15-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domman56 (Post 148039)
Is it a V6 ECOtech? I'd actually consider that

If you lived in Au, you'd be able to find one. They're Holden engines. They're almost the same displacement as your 5.0L engine, something like 4.2L.

There are also Diesel EcoTec (no H) engines, made by Fiat, Isuzu, and Daewoo, for Opel and Chevrolet models. None in the US, though.

Domman56 12-15-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 148041)
If you lived in Au, you'd be able to find one. They're Holden engines. They're almost the same displacement as your 5.0L engine, something like 4.2L.

There are also Diesel EcoTec (no H) engines, made by Fiat, Isuzu, and Daewoo, for Opel and Chevrolet models. None in the US, though.

yeah thanks I'll look into the V6 I'd be willing to have the motor imported

I know they're not availible in the US

MetroMPG 12-15-2009 10:43 PM

Re: aeroshell for this car:
http://www.evalbum.com/img/470/470a.jpg

http://www.evalbum.com/img/470/470b.jpg

Source: Roland Wiench's 1977 Chevrolet El Camino

Knowing the guy who did the EV conversion to this car, this is likely a custom job.

mcrews 12-15-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domman56 (Post 148009)

I want to do a flat underbelly but don't know how that would work with this car

If you would do a search for under belly, you'd be surprised how .......BLANK....your question will seem.
Why is 'this car' any different from any other car here? (that a retorical question....don't answer it)
If you really are going to be a nuclear engineer, with a college degree provided by the navy, then using the search button will open your mind to all kinds of opprotunities.
And come on....you haven't even crawled under the car to take pictures to ask questions...
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eld-10880.html

here i did your first searh for you

your 18, you have ignored every effort made, at some point, you HAVE TO DO THE WORK.

Domman56 12-16-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 148044)
Re: aeroshell for this car:
http://www.evalbum.com/img/470/470a.jpg

http://www.evalbum.com/img/470/470b.jpg

Source: Roland Wiench's 1977 Chevrolet El Camino

Knowing the guy who did the EV conversion to this car, this is likely a custom job.

This looks great i may consider that

Domman56 12-16-2009 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 148047)
If you would do a search for under belly, you'd be surprised how .......BLANK....your question will seem.
Why is 'this car' any different from any other car here? (that a retorical question....don't answer it)
If you really are going to be a nuclear engineer, with a college degree provided by the navy, then using the search button will open your mind to all kinds of opprotunities.
And come on....you haven't even crawled under the car to take pictures to ask questions...
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eld-10880.html

here i did your first searh for you

your 18, you have ignored every effort made, at some point, you HAVE TO DO THE WORK.

The reason i asked is because many newer cars have a flatter underbelly than mine does so i'm thinking it may require more pieces than yours

I had already looked at yours and you seem to have it a little easier but i haven't really tried it on my car so i'm not sure what materials i'd have to use or how to apply them

BamZipPow 12-16-2009 02:12 AM

You might have to build some supports or standoffs to mount yer lower body panel to... ;)

Domman56 12-16-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamZipPow (Post 148082)
You might have to build some supports or standoffs to mount yer lower body panel to... ;)

Thanks man i'll look into that

Nigel 12-16-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 148041)

The Holden V6 ecotec is a 3.8ltr (based on a buick I believe?) the 4.2 (253ci) is an old school V8 -designed around AU only "Red motor" 6 cylinder components, and is a good motor, but not a very fuel efficient one. There was also a 5 liter (308 ci) version.
The V6's are a very common swap into lots of cars,there are kits to put them into everything from Transits to Mazda B2200's.

Domman56 12-17-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 148285)
The Holden V6 ecotec is a 3.8ltr (based on a buick I believe?) the 4.2 (253ci) is an old school V8 -designed around AU only "Red motor" 6 cylinder components, and is a good motor, but not a very fuel efficient one. There was also a 5 liter (308 ci) version.
The V6's are a very common swap into lots of cars,there are kits to put them into everything from Transits to Mazda B2200's.

which motor are you saying isnt' efficient? the 4.2 or the 3.8

Nigel 12-17-2009 02:10 AM

The 253 :)

The 3.8's are not bad, on a country run I got 9 liters/ 100 Klms out of an Automatic VT Commodore -without trying.

QuickLTD 12-17-2009 06:28 PM

I know it is probably cost prohibitive but you could change your nose from this:
http://www.scaldinghotelcamino.com/v...kys/Jerry2.jpg

To the nose they used for NASCAR aero:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...a_corner-1.jpg

http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f...side_angle.jpg

mcrews 12-17-2009 07:35 PM

nice find on the pics QUICKLTD! I immediately thought of the 69 nascar roadrunner

http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/...uth_Roadrunner
http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/...uth_Roadrunner

QuickLTD 12-17-2009 07:49 PM

GM was great for throwing new noses on cars when they were losing in Nascar. I had a 1975 Grand Am which was Pontiacs "aero" version of its LeMans coupe and the same basic chassis as the El Camino. I would think all he needs is a hood a nose and the header panel.. As well as 5000 misc "little" parts and screws. lol

DonR 12-18-2009 12:24 PM

It looks like a nose from a '70 Camaro.

Domman56 12-18-2009 02:47 PM

i would if i was crazy about modding this car out JUST for aerodynamics but i love the 4 headlight look because it only was availible in 76 and 77 on the camino so it's a representative of the year I will get a fiberglass reverse cowl hood though thatll save about 80 pounds and be a little more aerodynamic.

Also if i can find them Fiberglass doors

QuickLTD 12-18-2009 04:38 PM

Oh yeah of course. Totally understand your point. I don't think I would do it either. Besides, the el Camino purists would stone you. LOL.

Christ 12-18-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domman56 (Post 148662)
i would if i was crazy about modding this car out JUST for aerodynamics but i love the 4 headlight look because it only was availible in 76 and 77 on the camino so it's a representative of the year I will get a fiberglass reverse cowl hood though thatll save about 80 pounds and be a little more aerodynamic.

Also if i can find them Fiberglass doors

You could save yourself alot of money and weight if you learned to lay glass yourself.

Often, the fiberglass parts aren't really concerned with part integrity and weight, people just think it's cool to have fiberglass parts, and marketing makes sure they're "cool" parts.*

*Cool is an opinion, not a fact. What they produce is what they feel is "cool", then through clever marketing, they make consumers think it's what every other consumer is going to buy as well. It's a genius strategy, just look at auto manufacturers.*

Domman56 12-19-2009 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 148712)
You could save yourself alot of money and weight if you learned to lay glass yourself.

Often, the fiberglass parts aren't really concerned with part integrity and weight, people just think it's cool to have fiberglass parts, and marketing makes sure they're "cool" parts.*

*Cool is an opinion, not a fact. What they produce is what they feel is "cool", then through clever marketing, they make consumers think it's what every other consumer is going to buy as well. It's a genius strategy, just look at auto manufacturers.*

I'd actually prefer carbon fiber because i love the look of it but i don't know how the heck i would find those parts for THIS car

Christ 12-19-2009 02:16 AM

Aftermarket CF parts are usually not actually made from CF. They're heavy ass fiberglass parts with a layer of CF over them, making them "ricer pimp" I think the term is...

IF you want real CF, again, you're either going to pay out the ass for it, or you're going to learn to lay it down.

Domman56 12-19-2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickLTD (Post 148688)
Oh yeah of course. Totally understand your point. I don't think I would do it either. Besides, the el Camino purists would stone you. LOL.

Haha yeah i'd never be able to show my face on elcaminocentral ever again