Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
The PRC.

Tips for Faster Driving

Hi,

I have learned this evening that I have to do a 322 mile trip for work tomorrow. No problem I though, I would just do the 0-dark-hundred thing and set of early. Except I can't as I have to do the school run first which shortens my day.

So assuming I have limited time what are the best ways to do this motorway trip as quickly as possible but with best MPG.

Car is an ASZ series TDI (130hp) but the size of a VW Polo.

Thanks (in Advance)

A.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Don't drink any caffeinated beverages and drive straight through.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
DWL within reason. Don't accelerate up hills, and if you can afford to lose a little speed on a steep ascent, do it. If you're running A/C, switch it off for ascents and on its highest setting for descents.

When you're going 75mph, your car has twice as much kinetic energy as when you're going 53mph. What this means to you: you have much more to lose when you hit the brakes. Bleed off some speed before you approach your exit. Leave enough room in front of you that traffic never causes you to hit the brakes.

Pump up the tires beforehand, apply Rain-X to your windshield so you won't need the wipers, and keep 12V loads down if it can be done conveniently. Clean the junk and unneeded tools out of your car before you go to cut down on rolling resistance.

Some of this is pretty obvious stuff that you do anyway, but there's not much else that can be done when you're constrained by time and the speed limit.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pump up your tires and remove the junk from the trunk.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
TDI and size of polo...

fast highway...

do the opposite of previous posts, put some weight in, keep the a/c on, enjoy your ride.

I could guess the throttle is not even playful in the hills. Diesels are great for this.
What is the magic spot for the model? 70s 80s.. beyond? just stay there, heavy enough to not get thrashed around.
I treat the diesel like a small boxer engine car.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
simple 120km/h (I know I'm british but your cog stack is in euros), top cog,look far ahead and anticipate having to overtake and make sure you get out into the next lane early so you don't get baulked by other drivers. keeping it at that pace and doing that my brothers VRS barely sipped the black stuff.

the usual about keeping electrical loads down, As you have oodles of torques v's tonnage and you'll be accelerating rarely i wouldn't get too het-up about shedding pounds

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...s-13556-2.html
With specific numbers on page two.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
The PRC.

OK - Trip done. And the result is (drum roll)

52.6 MPG (imp).

Not bad given my old target was 50.

Main result was the whole trip done on one tank, which is more than 200 miles greater than I used to get from a single tank. I set off on the way back assuming I would have to stop and refill but I did it all in one go - 5 hours roughly - the tank did not seem to want to die. And best of all as it is all for work its all claimable at a mileage rate...

As I tapped originally I had no time to do much prep except check tyres, oil and washer bottle level, clean the screen and lights, and set off - I would do anyway. My tyres are at 45 just now. I'm going to go higher but left it at that for now.

Things I learned :

- An early start is good. The Police don't bother about you doing speed limit + 10 when there is nobody else around. I was passed at 90 in one spot by the cop and he just waved as he went by. A non aggresive style, lane discipline etc. probably help. If I was flashing people out of my way or 20+ over the limit I probably would have been stopped.

- A technique for FE that worked overall was to choose a min speed and a target MPG. My min speed on the way dowqn was 70 and MPG was 50, on the way back it was 60 and MPG was 60. In other words if I hit 60 MPG I could press on a little and gain some speed for the next flat section or uphill part. If I hit 60 on a hill I would pulse and maintain it.

- Anticipation is your friend - even for others. I could work out where someone would have ample time and space to move over to pass me when I moved out so got in nobody's way. Similarly I don't draft as I think its not worth the risk (OK I think its testicularly stupid - there I tapped it) but you can get a safe and similar effect by timing pull out to pass just when a faster vehicle has gone by.

- This is especially true if you end up in the same lanes as trucks. If they lose speed its a lot of time, fuel and effort for them to remake it - much more than mine.

- Similarly non-aggresive driving is also your friend - if you can lift off and let someone pass before pulling out to pass you gain quite a bit. If you ease off early enough then you can let a whole queue by with only just lifting off.

- Some people don't seem to realise that the big, glassy thing in front of them is designed to let them see what is happening in front - some people are really poor at anticipating speeds of others. I'm not talking about pulling out but just being in a lane doing a speed.

- Especially when they are on the phone.

- The left hand (nearside or slower) lane on UK motorways are cr@p. They have 2 large ruts caused by heavier Euro trucks in each one, making the ride quite uncomfortable. Where the heck have my taxes gone ?

- Which leads to the left hand lane being empty except for trucks. I ambled along at my speed and spent 5+ miles and 30+ cars undertaking all those morons who wouldn't move to the left in Cheshire. Which was good progress I suppose as I could keep to my target easily.

- And at the same time this lack of maintenance doesn't seem to limit the number of roadworks and lower temporary limits. These offer an excuse for slower speeds as nobody wants to get photographed by the average speed cameras. But using Sat Nav speed I was passing most people in these as everyone trusts their speedo totally.

- Side winds are weird at speed - Sometimes it seemed like someone was pushing me along and sometimes it felt like someone had glued my tyres to the road without any changes I could detect - no change in direction or the stuff at the side of the road - trees, fences and so on. I also couldn't work out a pattern based on wind direction (based on trees bending over etc.) - something to ponder.

- I didn't use AC at all, I opened the passenger windows when I first got in after warm weather and waited until the air inside had been replaced by cooler air from outside. A neat feature of the Fabia is that the ventilation system stays cool even without AC in hot weather. Strange as it comes from the Check Republic which is cold, whereas my old Fiat which comes from Mediterranean Italy would only blow warm air in warm weather.

- I tend to drive with headlights on, an old habit. I tried without (when the sun came up) but found that the reason I do was still valid - people just not noticing you are there.

- The vRS is a great car for this kind of trip - the sports seats are comfortable, its quiet (for a small car) and with reasonable space. With the engine from an Audi A6 in a Polo sized car its an excellent cruiser - tons of power, long gearing and so on.

- At the same time its probably got too much engine for the car. I feel a lower spec 1.4 or 1.6 TDI would probably do better as long as the gearing is as long as the vRS. Plus the front could be cleaned up for aero quite a bit and the tyres are quite wide and probably bad for RR - good for grip though.

And finally that technology is great - Mrs A's later year 2.0 TDI Octavia (aka VW Jetta) would probably do 60+ mpg - I know this because she does it and she uses the right pedal like a switch and has a minimum speed of the limit...
Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchalmers View Post
simple 120km/h (I know I'm british but your cog stack is in euros),
Rob mate, I'm British like you, so I buy my veg in Kilos and Grams and measure my speed and volume in something invented by people who were bonkers...

For clarification I'm located in Scotland but I am by birth from Lancashire, England. I come from the same place as this cricketer (and (ex) drunk)

And to annoy my Scottish neighbours I ask how they are doing in the world cup...

*(hostage to fortune for Sunday vs Germany...)
Old 06-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
Well for clarification I'm Scottish, just on the english side of board on the border but I to watch the England matches.... but i'm supporting Japan

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Reply  Post New Thread