EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Allow myself to introduce... myself. From St.Louis MO (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/allow-myself-introduce-myself-st-louis-mo-19026.html)

Reloadwin 10-03-2011 11:56 PM

Allow myself to introduce... myself. From St.Louis MO

Hello Everybody!! Love this website learning a lot of information on ways to improve my mpgs. I drive a new to me 1997 Honda CRV 4WD Auto. It has seen better days. I am bringing the CRV back to life. Soon will start improving the aerodynamics of the vehicle, and reading more into HHO generators. Maybe I will install one and see what mpgs I can get. My goal is to hit 30mpgs and beyond!!.

euromodder 10-04-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reloadwin (Post 263960)
Hello Everybody!! Love this website learning a lot of information on ways to improve my mpgs.

Welcome to ecomodder !

I drive a new to me 1997 Honda CRV 4WD Auto.

It has seen better days. I am bringing the CRV back to life.

Soon will start improving the aerodynamics of the vehicle,

Quote:

and reading more into HHO generators.
You'll find most of the people on ecomodder to be very sceptic regarding hydrogen generators.

While the principle - adding an easily combustible gas to petrol/diesel and improve the overall efficiency - works, generating that gas (hydrogen) on the go using the very same engine is highly inefficient.
The losses in the engine itself and the alternator driven by the engine are huge. So you can't get as much energy out of burning the hydrogen as what it cost energy-wise to split the water.

Basically : perpetuum mobiles don't exist.

Quote:

Maybe I will install one and see what mpgs I can get.
I wouldn't waste money & time on it.

Quote:

My goal is to hit 30mpgs and beyond !!
What engine do you have in the CRV ?

30mpg shouldn't be out of reach by changing your driving style and some minor modifications.

Check out the 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com and 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com .
Some are very easy to do, others are a bit more involved.

The easiest :

- drive slower, but keep the momentum going
- try to stop as little as possible

- increase tire pressure
- block (part of) the (upper) grille , but keep an eye on temps
- remove unnecessary stuff from the car

Mustang Dave 10-04-2011 08:33 PM

Welcome aboard!
30 MPG should be easily attainable with your 2.0 liter CRV. I've gotten over 30 MPG a few times with my 4.0 liter Mustang without resorting to any extreme mods or techniques.
And, as euromodder said, don't waste your time or money on HHO; that's just "unicorn gas".

Reloadwin 10-05-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang dave (Post 264110)
welcome aboard!
30 mpg should be easily attainable with your 2.0 liter crv. I've gotten over 30 mpg a few times with my 4.0 liter mustang without resorting to any extreme mods or techniques.
And, as euromodder said, don't waste your time or money on hho; that's just "unicorn gas".

lol

MetroMPG 10-07-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reloadwin (Post 263960)
Honda CRV 4WD Auto. It has seen better days. I am bringing the CRV back to life.

One of our members turned his CRV from AWD to front-wheel drive by removing the shaft to the rear diff & rear axles.

He didn't quantify the gain - it's likely small, but real. If you don't need AWD (I don't know whether you do or not), why burn the fuel?