EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Almera 2.2 sport+ (2000) wont start..please help! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/almera-2-2-sport-2000-wont-start-please-24962.html)

derrick1551 02-16-2013 05:49 AM

Almera 2.2 sport+ (2000) wont start..please help!

Hello, I have a Nissan almera 2.2 sport+ (2000), I started to have problems with starting the car first time until eventually it wouldnt start at all, I was told it was the starter motor so I purchesed another, I have fitted the new starter motor and it still wont start, all I get when I turn the ignition on is a clicking noise, Just to make sure there wasnt a fault with this starter motor I had it bench tested and it fires the cog out no problem but as soon as it is fitted back onto the car and ignision is turned all you hear is a sound like an electric motor turning coming form the starter motor but its not fireing out to engage with the engine.

Gealii 02-16-2013 06:55 AM

Will it start if jumped? It sounds to me like a weak battery if you already replaced the starter. which means it could also be the alternator not charging the system back up

derrick1551 02-16-2013 07:01 AM

Thanks for your reply....It wont start form jump leads from another battery and ive just tried my neightbours battery in my car and that wont work either..its got my head banging ha.

Gealii 02-16-2013 07:29 AM

well all i can think of is checking the hot and ground wires to the starter. If the problem got progressively worse and then u replaced the starter. then i could see either a bad connection or a locking motor

derrick1551 02-16-2013 07:32 AM

Thanks again for your reply....what do you mean by a locking motor?

Gealii 02-16-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derrick1551 (Post 356712)
Thanks again for your reply....what do you mean by a locking motor?

like if you find a car from the 70s that hasnt been started since then the motor has seized together unable to move. i highly doubt it but u never no anymore. just like the motor tried to destroy itself and why it was getting worse

derrick1551 02-16-2013 08:51 AM

some one has just told me that it could be the cam/crank sensor..could they be right??...if so where is the cam/crank sensor located??..again thank you.

Gealii 02-16-2013 09:15 AM

Both could definitly do it and if there starting to fail would not throw codes until its completely bad.( How'd i forget those i had replaced both on a car, i guess it was because it didnt fix my issue, but my ecu was dieing come to find out). the crank sensor is by the starter, and i couldnt find the 2.2 cam sensor but depending how close the 2.5 is in comparison...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndHU6TnsJ_E

ksa8907 02-16-2013 10:37 AM

The sensors will keep it from starting, but it wont affect the starter motor in any way.

Jyden 02-16-2013 10:59 AM

Is it by any chance stuck in a gear? Is it possible to push the car? If not it' stuck in a gear. Some time this can happen with an old worn gearbox. Try to push or tow car and get i aout of the stuck gear?

derrick1551 02-16-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 356732)
The sensors will keep it from starting, but it wont affect the starter motor in any way.

what would the sensors prevent the car from doing exactly??

derrick1551 02-16-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyden (Post 356734)
Is it by any chance stuck in a gear? Is it possible to push the car? If not it' stuck in a gear. Some time this can happen with an old worn gearbox. Try to push or tow car and get i aout of the stuck gear?

Its not stuck in gear as im able to bump start the car no problem and runs all day untill you turn the car off..then you have to bump start the car again to start it.

user removed 02-16-2013 03:23 PM

Sounds like you can push start it? If that is what a "bump start" means. You need to test the connections from the ignition switch to the starter motor. You set a volt meter to 12 volts then connect the meter at the beginning and end of the signal path. If you find a voltage reading above .25 volt you have a bad connection in that circuit. Start at the battery positive cable and the starter power connection. Then work your way through the circuit if you get a voltage reading of over .25 volt which indicates a bad connection in that circuit.

My first guess would be a bad ground that is not letting enough power to the starter for it to work. This would allow you to push start the car but it would not start with the starter motor.

Another way to test it would be with a push button starter bypass switch, like mechanics use to move the engine around to check the valves. It goes from the postive battery terminal to the starter solenoid and bypasses the key operated ignition circuit. If it works this way you have a bad connection in the keyed ignition circuit. If not then it is more likely the ground circuit from the starter back to the battery,

regards
Mech

baldlobo 02-16-2013 04:38 PM

sounds to me like your ignition switch is dead in the start position; one of two things can be done;

1. change out said ignition switch

2. wire in a start button

ksa8907 03-14-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derrick1551 (Post 356765)
what would the sensors prevent the car from doing exactly??

sounds like you found your problem already, but the computer will look for the cam sensor and crank sensor and make sure they are working before it allows the coils and injectors to get power. otherwise, the computer doesn't know how fast the engine is running.

philo 05-22-2013 04:15 AM

I know this thread is old now, but just wanted to say I think baldlobo is right, I had a 2.2DI Sport+ and it was the ignition switch. Bought a new one from Nissan and replaced it myself. Fiddly job but do-able if you're fairly competent. The ignition switch is directly behind where you insert your key.