EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Alternate ways to produce hydrogen? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/alternate-ways-produce-hydrogen-3731.html)

atomicradish 07-12-2008 03:44 AM

Alternate ways to produce hydrogen?

With all the skepticism regarding the actual gains of hydrogen systems, I got to thinking; is there another way we can produce hydrogen?

So my mind began to wander, directly to my high school chemistry class. I remembered doing an experiment with sulfuric acid which produced lots of hydrogen. In many cases, when mixed with a metal, sulfuric acid will produce hydrogen + sulfate. Now isn't it convenient that car batteries contain sulfuric acid. I'm sure that with all of the cars some people around here have, there is plenty of acid that could be harvested... I'm also curious to know the availability of buying it direct. I'm guessing that everyday people can buy a dilute form of the acid if there isn't any available... though I have no idea about the price of it.

The best part about this is that it is entirely independent of the alternator, and it takes no energy from the car itself to facilitate hydrogen production. I remember the little gizmo we had looked very similar to some of the hydrogen systems people currently have in their cars.

Anyone have any ideas on the feasability of this?

rjacob 07-12-2008 07:35 AM

How about instead of creating the hydrogren, you have a hydrogen tank installed in the car, and you just get that filled like you would a gas tank.

Vince-HX 07-12-2008 08:09 AM

hydrogen tank go boom in accident

echomodder 07-12-2008 09:10 AM

Gas tank go boom in accident:D

steensn 07-12-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echomodder (Post 43357)
Gas tank go boom in accident:D

Your gas tank isnt under thousands of pounds of pressure...

oldschool 07-12-2008 10:05 AM

there are about a million ways to extract hydrogen from water, sulferic acid and zink, electrolysis, aluminum and lye, even a few folks out there who claim to have rediscovered the proper frequencies to use to disassociate water with just electricity, ( yes that was patented too). With purely chemical reactions and no electricity , the reaction becomes harder to control.

Oldschool

justpassntime 07-12-2008 01:06 PM

If you are interested in producing small amounts of hydrogen, do a search for hydrogen generators or hydrogen boosters. There are many and are simple to build. The on demand generator/booster won't produce enough to run a vehicle alone. It only is used in conjunction with the fuel you already use.

There are people that do have pressurized hydrogen tanks in their cars and can run on it as the sole fuel source. I saw video for one installed in a Metro. The guy had been working on it for over twenty years. Many dollars invested and was supported by business.

jamesqf 07-12-2008 03:17 PM

So what's the point? The sulfuric acid & metal needed to generate enough hydrogen to run a car would cost lots more than the equivalent amount of gasoline. Why don't you all just quit trying to repeal conservation of energy?

aerohead 07-12-2008 03:32 PM

hydrogen debate

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 43426)
So what's the point? The sulfuric acid & metal needed to generate enough hydrogen to run a car would cost lots more than the equivalent amount of gasoline. Why don't you all just quit trying to repeal conservation of energy?

I was hoping someone would get around to what you said.Thanks,I can sleep now.