EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Am I the only one... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/am-i-only-one-31224.html)

spacemanspif 02-16-2015 08:09 PM

Am I the only one...

...that sets their forum preferences to display 50 posts per page?

Reading though some of the longer posts on this, and other sites, I always see people who jump in late and say "I didn't have time to read all 3 pages, but..." To which, I think to myself "why is this dude still set to 10 posts/page?"

Can anyone explain to me why you like clicking "next page" so much more than scrolling through 50 posts at a time?

Thanks,

niky 02-16-2015 09:55 PM

Because most of us are too lazy to check the settings.

And now that I know they're there... fixed. Good tip. :D

Baltothewolf 02-16-2015 10:31 PM

I had no idea you could even set that, wow... That would have saved a lot of frustration lol.

redpoint5 02-17-2015 04:11 AM

I set that long ago.

Xist 02-17-2015 05:22 AM

I had not realized that was adjustable until about a week ago, when someone mentioned it.

What difference does it make to you? :)

nemo 02-17-2015 06:50 AM

I'm conducting a mouse button longevity test. :)

spacemanspif 02-17-2015 08:32 AM

Well I'm glad I could help some out. I've been on forums for a while and have been changing my settings to max posts/page for about as long and just wondered why some don't do the same because it seems much more convenient to me to set it that way. I understand the "different strokes for different folks" but since I hate 10/page I thought I'd ask why some prefer it so that I can understand the other side's view better.

jamesqf 02-17-2015 12:34 PM

I think it's easier to have the shorter pages for ongoing threads, since I can select the last viewed page, rather than having to search 50 posts for the place I left off.

Fat Charlie 02-17-2015 01:09 PM

That's what "View First Unread" is for, or even better- that little button in the control panel.

rmay635703 02-17-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspif (Post 468272)
...that sets their forum preferences to display 50 posts per page?

Reading though some of the longer posts on this, and other sites, I always see people who jump in late and say "I didn't have time to read all 3 pages, but..." To which, I think to myself "why is this dude still set to 10 posts/page?"

Can anyone explain to me why you like clicking "next page" so much more than scrolling through 50 posts at a time?

Thanks,

Only reason is if you have a buggy connection or dialup.

Many web browsers will not display the page as it comes in anymore.

What this means is a blank page for 5-10 minutes and then bam, in the old days you could watch as the page formatted on the screen, honestly I miss those days, you could " see" if malware wanted to run.