Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
FI Tuning

So has anyone messed around with tuning an FI bike? I've seen the Suzuki programmer, but I cannot for the life of me find any info on it all.

Before it's mentioned, DynoJet doesn't make a Power Commander for my year Burgman.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETST/Mazda3

probably does not apply to your question but I have a power commander on my y2k HD Road King. I did the big bore kit at purchase, from 1450cc to 1550cc, new cam, pistons, bored out the jugs. Dyno says have 88 hp and 90 lbs torque, shop recommended the power commander to smooth out the rich/lean spots, improve throttle response, etc., I can get 45mpg on this bike 2 up on a consistent basis if I don't play with the throttle or hot rod it. If I hot rod it, I get 42-43 mpg, so.... Don't rememeber how much the PC costs, but don't think the power commander is designed for FE, more towards a performance viewpoint, smoothing out the lean/rich spots in the fuel delivery sysem while improved FE is a small benefit. Suggest you look at other issues, possibly clean the plugs, air filter, psi in tires, then look at possible gear changes unless oem tranny prevents this, assume this scooter is a cvt tranny???
Old 01-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
probably does not apply to your question but I have a power commander on my y2k HD Road King. I did the big bore kit at purchase, from 1450cc to 1550cc, new cam, pistons, bored out the jugs. Dyno says have 88 hp and 90 lbs torque, shop recommended the power commander to smooth out the rich/lean spots, improve throttle response, etc., I can get 45mpg on this bike 2 up on a consistent basis if I don't play with the throttle or hot rod it. If I hot rod it, I get 42-43 mpg, so.... Don't rememeber how much the PC costs, but don't think the power commander is designed for FE, more towards a performance viewpoint, smoothing out the lean/rich spots in the fuel delivery sysem while improved FE is a small benefit. Suggest you look at other issues, possibly clean the plugs, air filter, psi in tires, then look at possible gear changes unless oem tranny prevents this, assume this scooter is a cvt tranny???
It is CVT, but there are aftermarket options with different ratio's. Ratio's aren't really my problem so much, as the smell of raw fuel in the winter time. Below 30F on a cold start, it always reeks of raw fuel. All other issues taken care of, but my FE drops off a cliff below 30F. Was 72 in the summer and now averaging 52-54 in the winter, some of that is the trike kit, sure, but the smell is still there, so I must be losing some gas for poor tuning.

As for your HD, they get down in the teens for some people, so your idea of "hot rodding it" isn't really hotrodding it.