Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Scottish government's latest announcement.

Scotland’s First Minister today announced that new petrol and diesel vehicles will be phased out in Scotland by 2032 – eight years ahead of the rest of the UK. There is also to be a significant expansion in the charging network, including an Electric Highway along the A9, Scotland's longest road.
Scotland’s four biggest cities will have Low Emission Zones, banning the most polluting vehicles, by 2020. The Scottish government is already committed to one Low Emission Zones by the end of next year.
Let’s see what happens with that. Kind of goes against their North Sea Oil stance of the Independence Referendum.

The Following User Says Thank You to JockoT For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-05-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How are they going to generate all of that electricity?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Maybe they can buy it from Iceland.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
I was going to say buy electrical power from some where else.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothe...wer_in_Iceland

Iceland puts it's bankers in jail.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
They could use waste from breweries as a feedstock for ethanol and try to run gensets out of it

But anyway, with all this worldwide trend on a ban of petroleum-based fuels (and eventually fossil natural gas) for road transportation, I'd still not hold my breath for any all-electric approach. Biofuels might play an important role, eventually resorting to the enhanced fuel-economy of plug-in hybrid drivetrains in order to address both concerns about fuel supplies and the side-effects of eventual power shortages (maybe the vehicle could eventually supply energy to the household, like a genset, during emergencies).
Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Scotland has Hydro electricity, wind farms springing up all over the place, tidal installations and increasing solar installations. We also have two nuclear power stations (the UK government builds them in Scotland for safety reasons!). With a population of 6 million (only twice that of Chicago) Scotland is a net exporter of electricity, transferring an average of 3.5 GW over the border to England.

Beside Stirling Castle.

Loch Sloy

Tidal generator, Pentland Firth

The Following User Says Thank You to JockoT For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 04:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Even though there is a good potential for clean electric power generation there in Scotland, I still believe internal-combustion engines are going to retain a role when it comes to close the carbon cycle. Due to all the methane generated by decomposition of organic matter in landfills and sewerage treatment plants, it would make more sense to use it as an energy source instead of just venting it directly into the atmosphere, considering that it has a longer half-life as a greenhouse gas compared to carbon dioxide.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
There are a couple of Landfill sites near me where it is tapped off. Where it goes after that, I have no idea.
One of the Orkney islands, Eday, has a tidal generator that develops more energy than the island can use. Because Eday is not connected to other islands they have to turn the electricity into H2, which they can ship off to the Orkney mainland. It is used in fuel cells to power the auxiliary systems on the ferries, while they are in port. Once they have suitably accredited crew, trained and certified, they will be able to use it while at sea, as well.
Read an interesting article on Bio diesel. They use it to run buses, here in the UK, especially in London. A lot of it comes from recycled fat and cooking oil, as well as fat waste from meat. However, bio diesel produced from soybean seemingly takes 800,000 gallons of water to produce 60 gallons of fuel, enough to fill the tank on a bus.
In these days of diminishing fresh water, that's rather worrying.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
There are a couple of Landfill sites near me where it is tapped off. Where it goes after that, I have no idea.
Is there any CNG-powered bus nearby? Anyway, bio-gas is still mostly used for stationary applications, mostly for heating. In my country, in some farms that have their own biodigester to process cattle manure, the bio-gas is mostly used as a replacement for LPG and kerosene as a heating and cooking fuel.

Quote:
One of the Orkney islands, Eday, has a tidal generator that develops more energy than the island can use. Because Eday is not connected to other islands they have to turn the electricity into H2, which they can ship off to the Orkney mainland. It is used in fuel cells to power the auxiliary systems on the ferries, while they are in port. Once they have suitably accredited crew, trained and certified, they will be able to use it while at sea, as well.
Even though there would be a lot of water around that could be used to fight a fire on board, I wouldn't want to be on board of a ship in case of a hydrogen-triggered fire

Quote:
Read an interesting article on Bio diesel. They use it to run buses, here in the UK, especially in London.
IIRC there used to be some buses running on vegetable oil, not biodiesel, in Liverpool.

Quote:
A lot of it comes from recycled fat and cooking oil, as well as fat waste from meat.
Due to the widespread popularity of fish and chips there, it seems like recycled fat and cooking oil would become a nearly obvious choice for a biodiesel feedstock. Fat waste from slaughterhouses is also a good option, since it retains a low commercial value, especially nowadays there are so many vegans who would refuse to use a soap made out of beef tallow. Another interesting feedstock is fish liver oil, since white fish usually concentrate most of their body fat content in the liver which would make it easier to extract, and apart from cod liver oil I'm unaware of any other fish which liver oil has a good commercial value.

Quote:
However, bio diesel produced from soybean seemingly takes 800,000 gallons of water to produce 60 gallons of fuel, enough to fill the tank on a bus.
In these days of diminishing fresh water, that's rather worrying.
I'm not so favorable to soybean oil as a feedstock for biodiesel, unless it's some waste cooking oil, and I weren't even considering the amount of water used to irrigate the soybeans. Maybe some good ways to address the freshwater supply concerns could be either some oily seaweeds or halophyte plants that can be irrigated with saltwater such as Salicornia (a.k.a. "sea aspargus") which leftovers from the oil extraction may eventually be also used to feed livestock.

Reply  Post New Thread