EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Amt or auto clutch (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/amt-auto-clutch-38317.html)

sankyp 04-24-2020 03:23 AM

Amt or auto clutch

Hello friends. Hope all are safe.

I drive a Hyundai Grand i10 with a 1200 cc engine. I primarily have to drive in stop n go traffic, this has caused knee pain due to excessive clutch usage. I was wondering if I could build an amt or even an automated clutch. The clutch could be automated or manually controlled using a potentiometer and electric motor combo for precise position control.

Has anyone here tried anything like that?

Chonk_Master 04-24-2020 09:31 PM

I suspect that by the time you did this, you could've just swapped in an auto transmission. It looks like that, roughly, is a 6 kmpl drop in efficiency, though (about 3 mpg).

Tough call. Anything is possible, it's just a matter of paying for it and designing it. You'd need a heck of a motor to push the clutch in all the way, I'd imagine. That could be negated a bit with gearing or a lever arm but even then. It's probably a tight fight under the dash of that thing.

If there's no factory AMT, I wouldn't pursue it. Building your own would be about as complicated as installing an auto, maybe even moreso.

I've never heard of either being done, nor could I find an example. Everything I looked at was swapping manual > auto or vice versa.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-25-2020 01:21 AM

Such adaptations cater mostly to drivers with some physical disability.

Since you're in India, try this: Ferro Equip

sankyp 04-25-2020 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chonk_Master (Post 622398)
I suspect that by the time you did this, you could've just swapped in an auto transmission. It looks like that, roughly, is a 6 kmpl drop in efficiency, though (about 3 mpg).

Tough call. Anything is possible, it's just a matter of paying for it and designing it. You'd need a heck of a motor to push the clutch in all the way, I'd imagine. That could be negated a bit with gearing or a lever arm but even then. It's probably a tight fight under the dash of that thing.

If there's no factory AMT, I wouldn't pursue it. Building your own would be about as complicated as installing an auto, maybe even moreso.

I've never heard of either being done, nor could I find an example. Everything I looked at was swapping manual > auto or vice versa.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there is no amt for this model. It does come with a not so efficient 4speed auto, however all mechanics I spoke to have dissuaded me from doing it citing mounting points incompatibility. So my options are limited now.

sankyp 04-25-2020 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 622413)
Such adaptations cater mostly to drivers with some physical disability.

Since you're in India, try this: Ferro Equip

Thnku for replying. There are a couple of companies that offer automated clutch systems. However the cost is high. I am looking to try a manually controlled clutch using viper motors. There are a few videos on youtube where people have done some diy. The packaging is not so great though. Lets see if I am able to refine the design.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-25-2020 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sankyp (Post 622419)
It does come with a not so efficient 4speed auto, however all mechanics I spoke to have dissuaded me from doing it citing mounting points incompatibility.

I'm not so familiar with the i10, having seen only a few with Uruguayan plates. Mounting points might not be so troublesome at all for an automatic transmission swap, since it had been a factory option. But I would still consider either a manual or an automated clutch mostly for the lower initial cost and presumably it would remain easier to implement. Well, since your main complaint is the knee pain which can be addressed with a clutch adaptation, I guess you don't mind keep shifting manually.