EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Android/iphone UltraGauge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/android-iphone-ultragauge-32911.html)

iveyjh 10-13-2015 03:29 PM

Android/iphone UltraGauge

I just got this in my mail. https://www.ultra-gauge.com/blue.htm, looks interesting. I don't know how it compares with Torque but the price is a lot more.

Hersbird 10-13-2015 08:36 PM

To me it looks the same for 4 times the price. I suppose some people have had issues getting their crappy OBD2 bluetooth sender form China to connect to their phone but my crappy $15 one from China has never had an issue.

ksa8907 10-13-2015 10:59 PM

I have torque and it is the best money i have ever spent. My only complaint is that now i need a tablet to fit all the stuff i want to display.

Piwoslaw 10-14-2015 01:27 PM

I noticed it has Performance & Emissions info. I wonder if you have to input whether your car is a Volkswagen to get reliable emissions?

Xist 10-15-2015 10:39 PM

At the time, BAFX Products Bluetooth Diagnostic OBDII Reader/Scanner for Android Devices was the best-selling OBD-II dongle and had the best rating. I had some issues at first, bought a cheap one, and then got the expensive one to work before the cheap one. Sometimes I need to unplug it and plug it back in, but I have not had any other issues.

ninj4geek 10-16-2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 496454)
To me it looks the same for 4 times the price. I suppose some people have had issues getting their crappy OBD2 bluetooth sender form China to connect to their phone but my crappy $15 one from China has never had an issue.

Is there a link to the version you own?

redpoint5 10-17-2015 01:08 AM

I paid about $9 shipped for my ELM237 from Amazon and went with the cheapest one that had decent reviews. This was several years ago.

Today I just picked up the LG Optimus Exceed 2 from Bestbuy for $15. Sometimes it goes on sale for $10. Regular price is $20. It should make for an excellent Torque display that I can leave in the car. The display is 4.5", which is bigger than the iPhone 5.

For less than $25, I've got a very capable gauge that includes various battery and inverter temperatures with alarms, RPM and power outputs for both MG1 and MG2, among many other things.

Nothing will overheat without me knowing, and I'll have better insight into how the Prius operates under various conditions. If the Prius were a 70s commercial jet, I would be the engineer. Way more interesting than piloting a cattle wagon.

Hersbird 10-17-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninj4geek (Post 496688)
Is there a link to the version you own?

Mine looks like this, but I don't know if this is where I bought it from. The problem sometimes is Chinese companies will pirate other Chinese companies. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AAOOQJC/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1445095343&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=obd2+bluetooth&d pPl=1&dpID=41JhRgXChpL&ref=plSrch

digital rules 10-26-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 496754)
Today I just picked up the LG Optimus Exceed 2 from Bestbuy for $15.

Thanks for the tip!! A great price for a very capable NEW phone.

NeilBlanchard 10-26-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 496644)
At the time, http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-...=obd+bluetooth was the best-selling OBD-II dongle and had the best rating. I had some issues at first, bought a cheap one, and then got the expensive one to work before the cheap one. Sometimes I need to unplug it and plug it back in, but I have not had any other issues.

That is a pretty large unit - that would stick down into my toe space, I think.

Xist 10-27-2015 04:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 496754)
Today I just picked up the LG Optimus Exceed 2 from Bestbuy for $15. Sometimes it goes on sale for $10. Regular price is $20. It should make for an excellent Torque display that I can leave in the car. The display is 4.5", which is bigger than the iPhone 5.

Why couldn't you have told us when it was ten dollars?! That would have been one third less! :D

I honestly think that I will purchase that. I am supposed to finally have a career, but I only have eight clients, and I am going to see if I can try to obtain the paperwork directly, because I request it as soon as I can from my boss, and it often comes too late for me to make my appointment for the week, but three more clients, and I will make as much as I did at the bakery, working many more hours--if none of my clients cancel.

I do in-home speech therapy.

I have been out of school (for now) for seventeen months and I have pretty much continued to be in starving student mode the entire time.

However, fifteen dollars... I used to run a dash cam with MPG information, and it was handy for CEL codes, etc. I was using my dad's old phone, but someone stole it. The thing is, my ringer stopped working, and my contract is not up until April. I can purchase a phone like mine for a hundred dollars new off of Amazon, but that is more than I am comfortable spending at this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 497738)
That is a pretty large unit - that would stick down into my toe space, I think.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1445933152

My port is all of the way on the side, so I bump it on rare occasions, but I do not mind.

I actually ran the car so that you could see the LEDs, but they hardly show up, and that took a very boring time, with my slow phone.

redpoint5 10-27-2015 05:39 AM

If you need a new smart phone, I'd recommend the LG Volt when it goes on sale for $20-$40. Nothing about it is the best, but it's good enough at everything except higher end gaming.

Ringplus has recently had promotions for 1000 talk, 1000 text, and 1000 MB data for free. The drawbacks are that it utilizes the Sprint network, and you hear advertisements instead of a phone ring when you dial.

What I'm saying is that for as little as $20 total, you could have a smart phone with talk/text/data.

I just bought a 7" tablet for $60 that can be activated on RingPlus, so that will become my Torque display and also provide the internet connection for Pandora and Google maps while I drive. There just isn't such a thing as too much data on a screen!

One tiny drawback to using a smart phone as a Torque display in landscape orientation is that the screen is polarized, and with my polarized sunglasses, I cannot see the display. I'm hoping tablets aren't polarized, but it's no big deal if they are.

I should be in starving student mode since my wife is in a $3,000/month medical program, but it's easy to say "what the heck" to a $60 purchase when you're already getting hit by massive school bills. On top of that, my wife is renting an apartment closer to school, and I just had my pay cut $5/hr when I went from contractor to employee.

You may soon find me in PDX moonlighting as an Uber driver; likely in the TSX. The Prius is disqualified due to having a reconstructed title.

Xist 10-28-2015 10:26 AM

Good luck with Uber. I had a friend do that, asking "Are you sure that you do not have a third, newer car?" A girl that I was seeing started driving Lyft, which I understood, she had hospital bills, but when she said that she had a date, I was less understanding.

I think she is bipolar.

Lyft and Uber are interesting opportunities if you can do it, though.

Xist 11-02-2015 10:49 AM

Redpoint, how is that phone working out for you? I just picked up mine and it took a while to find instructions on bypassing the activation screen.

Volume up, volume down, back, and home.

However, I told it to install apps hours ago, and it says that they are still installing. I am happy just to have a music player, the external speaker does not work on my phone.

I eventually rebooted, it said the installations failed, I reinstalled them, and they seem to work.

THX_FOR_ALL_THE_FISH 11-21-2015 03:10 PM

I had some pretty bad experience with the Chinese adapters....Not just me but friends also.:mad:

Some say they don't see problems other have significant problems.

In my case I had vehicles it did not work with and also battery drain issues.
Bottom line is I tried to go cheap, I bought Chinese knock offs of knock offs and I knew better.
I wasted money on a couple of adapters and one battery, and in the end it was a very expensive waste of my time and money. Probably the time was the worst part.

I ended up buying an UltraGauge back around 2010....the wired one and its been great.
Now that they have the wireless UltraGauge Blue, it looks like the answer to my previous issues and a nice upgrade path for me. :thumbup:
I was searching on this and I'm finding nothing but good....especially on the support side.
Imagine getting support from the those Chinese adapter vendors... just is no such thing.