Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
New Civic Type R aerodynamic features

I encountered my first new Civic Type R in a mall today. I took this picture of the rear side aerodynamics the spoiler and the vortex generators and other features. Reminds me a little bit of the design of the Subaru WRX with its vortex generators and high spoiler.

Here is a flashy and somewhat useful commercial technical description. Aerodynamics 0:37 - 1:07, with the VGs description at 1:01-1:07.

What amazes me a little is that they go to such lenghts and cost to develop fancy aero tricks in the tail end when a cleaner "template" shape would be better to start with. Doesn't the heavy modification of the notch/hatch body type here just induce more drag than they might otherwise create using the template and maybe a modest spoiler for lift reduction? Marketing, I guess.

Also... Though the design cues are too busy and noisy for me (it's a steel anxiety attack), I do understand the excitement about this car. It was cool looking in the lot.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171231_210647.jpg
Views:	2337
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	23297  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (01-01-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-01-2018, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
a 300hp FWD? Just what the kiddies want!
Old 01-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
The biggest problem I see is right there in the thumbnail, in Cyan. Vortexes don't work that way.

At 12:24 it turns into an ode to the Nürburgring.

The overall shape is a container for the content, not a fairing. Else it would look like [the top half of] a DC-3. Some details like the sculpting of the rear wing end-plates suggest aerodynamics is more important than fabrication. A flat plate likely would have more drag. The air curtains and vortex generators prolly represent some gain.

OTOH to my eye, mixing slots and meshes on the openings is like mixing stripes and plaid ....or belt and suspenders.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
I've only spent a very short time behind the wheel of the Type-R, but man-oh-man is it a fun little beast. I could never own one, though. The aero bits are too flashy. Rumor has it that there may be be a less expensive version in the works (without all the plumage). Can't help but wonder if they'll produce a slick and more luxurious Acura version.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
a 300hp FWD? Just what the kiddies want!
Supposedly it puts it down on the road very well. Honda has also performed some magic with the front suspension geometry to completely eliminate torque steer.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

The Hasport tech inspection was more competently informative about the engine, suspension, and many of the aero features than the first video I posted. The Hasport techs remove suspension parts and the entire engine from their brand new Type R.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-04-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting that the hood scoop doesn't feed the engine compartment, it blows air out the vents behind the front wheels.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-04-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Interesting that the hood scoop doesn't feed the engine compartment, it blows air out the vents behind the front wheels.
Right? I thought that was interesting too. Didn't know whether to endorse his theory that the air racing through the aluminium ducting would drag engine compartment air out through cracks. I also wondered if the aluminium ducts would be cooled by the airflow allowing heat transfer from engine compartment to the ducted airflow. Very odd scoop.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hadn't thought about radiant heat.

The airflow would be down to the shape of the duct outlet and it's position in the fender opening. It's hard to tell with the hood up.

Air could be sucked into the scoop by a low pressure area behind the wheel arch.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Car and driver describes the fender vents for this hood scoop this way: "Accentuating the Type R’s wide front fenders are a pair of vents fore of the front doors. Although the Type R’s fender vents add to the model’s angry looks and actually allow air to flow in and out of their grilles, Honda acknowledges that they serve no functional purpose."

Hahaha. Useless bling. I like MPGomatic's point above: maybe the Acura version will have less kiddie-noise and better looks.

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...s-explained#13

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (01-03-2018), niky (01-29-2018), Xist (01-04-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread