EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Another Civic CX has joined the forum (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/another-civic-cx-has-joined-forum-1514.html)

mimsmetro 03-22-2008 09:48 PM

Another Civic CX has joined the forum

Well my dad and me just bought a 92' CX with 32,000 miles on it!!!
thats 2,000 miles a year!

anyways, I am on a quest for 50<mpg. I'm only getting 36 now :(
sadly the previous owners were "poser import racers", shown in the low quality mods.

Poser mods: Go-kart steering wheel, 17 inch rims, low profile tires, cheap coil over springs, aftermarket intake, crazy rattling muffler and tip

Decent mods: Header, Lowered, Acura integra rear disc brakes, integra seats,

So I am trying to decide what the best mods would be.

The rims and tires are definitely going
I wish I could get a VX engine for it.

What type of intake would work best in a warm humid climate?

I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks

-Ryan

DifferentPointofView 03-22-2008 10:25 PM

Maybe, if you sell those rims and tires and use the money for lighweight 14-15 inch alloys, it'd be better than going with 14-15 inch steelies (cut maybe half the weight... or more :thumbup:)

How do you know they were posers? I mean, most posers do drive civics because they're the cheap and common racer, but how do you know they weren't going for a cheap budget-weekend track car? I'm guessing this because of the amount of miles per year it has on it. It was rarely driven, which could be led to think that it *was* going to be used for weekend club events or weekends at the track, but either money or the price of gas got to them.

As for intake, a warm air intake would be best. the less restrictive the better, although the most restriction will come from the throttle plate. But if you're planning on accelerating up to cruising speed very quickly, every bit counts. otherwise just go with a normal one.

Which brings the question. What kind of driving do you do? mostly city? mostly highway? almost equal? if highway what speeds?

mimsmetro 03-22-2008 10:42 PM

I'm actually working out a deal for some 14 inch alloys as we speak.
The posers hadn't put many miles on it, It was originally owned by some old guy (which explains the low mileage)

I would say 85% of the time is highway. My dad uses it for a 98 mile round trip commute monday-friday. The speed limit for my dads commute is 70mph, most people go at least 75mph, so he does too, to avoid death. When I drive it's 45-60mph most of the time with 10% 30-40mph.

I think aero mods will yield the best results.

the passenger side mirror is deleted stock :)

i'd also like to make a kammback and side skirts similar to AndrewJ's

DifferentPointofView 03-22-2008 11:16 PM

aero mods will definitely help... A LOT. since your dad drives it everyday 98 miles to work at 75, I'd definitely do this. Aside from grille blocking, one thing that will help A LOT is a bellypan. if you look underneath the car, it's an aerodynamic nightmare. just imagine if that was what the top of the car looked like :EEK:

Any un-needed weight will help too, but not all that much, just in the process of acceleration. This is where those lightweight rims come in.

I've driven on fast highways (several where the limit was 80) , and... you won't ever get run over doing the speed limit. they usually just pass you, especially in mult-lane highways.

Where you will get ran over is when your going UNDER the limit. that's when people get near you and do close calls. Not saying that it's more dangerous, I'm just saying you won't even notice at all. Your FE would go up significantly if even 5mph were shaved off. FE drops like a rock over 60mph. I'll look up the chart.

I forgot what I've said because I was looking. SO I'll post and look some more

EDIT: Oh, now I remember, is it auto? or stick?

RH77 03-23-2008 02:02 AM

Welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by H4MM3R (Post 15644)
Welcome to the community!

Welcome to EM as well...

I'm not an expert on the D-series (more B stuff here)...others can probably chime in.

But, I will say that the advice so far looks to be on-par. Checkout the EcoModding for Beginners Sticky for more ideas.

Great find on the CX, and Best FE to ya...:thumbup:

RH77

Red 03-23-2008 03:07 AM

Welcome to EM

MetroMPG 03-23-2008 09:21 AM

Congrats on the low miles find! Aeromods are the way to go, if the car is going to be going that fast.

AndrewJ 03-23-2008 06:53 PM

Sweet! Another CX!

Someday we'll have enough CX'es on here to rise up and throw off the reigns of our VX oppressors! :eek:

Or we'll all just get d15z1's. :thumbup:

SVOboy 03-24-2008 03:21 AM

I would get rid of whatever header is on it and return to stock...I can't imagine any 70 hp 8 valver like that getting anywhere good with just some random header thrown on it.

Are you buying hx rims perchance? The vx rims are usually a bit cheaper though the hx rims paired with the insight tires are a killer combo.

Welcome!

mimsmetro 03-24-2008 03:34 AM

I believe they are HX's. 14 inch. we are also looking at some 15 inch SI rims. I'm looking at some sumitomos that got good reviews from green seal.

why would a stock exhaust be more FE?

I was also wondering if anyone has put a WAI on a D15B8, and how it responds? or even how they ran the ducting.

PS:is it safe to run full synthetic in the engine and/or transmission