EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Another grill cover bites the dust (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/another-grill-cover-bites-dust-22678.html)

Varn 07-22-2012 06:27 PM

Another grill cover bites the dust

I was in my 1986 Jetta diesel fully loaded as usual today. Cruising at about 55 mph. the outside temp was 100 F with a slight tailwind. I notice that the temp gauge is getting hotter than usual. Nearing the 3/4 mark.

My grill cover was held on with two drywall screws and some cable ties. I pulled over and removed all of it. Within a mile the gauge was back down to 1/4-1/3rd the way up the gauge.

If the trade of more aero vs a significantly hotter engine is the trade then I am going to use a small amount of fuel more.

Usually August is hotter than July around here. It may go back on in the mid fall but not sooner.

CigaR007 07-22-2012 06:39 PM

Have you considered optimizing the grille block opening ?

2000mc 07-22-2012 06:50 PM

size the opening in the worst conditions for it (basically now) and you wont have to worry about it. then you could tape it or have an easy to remove cover for the opening in the winter

Varn 07-22-2012 07:01 PM

The optimum size is the stock opening for this weather and load. I am sure that the engineers at VW considered how much air is required at such load conditions.

mcrews 07-22-2012 09:46 PM

actually it could be a little smaller opening since most manufacturers over design for the masses...
but you thought process is very correct Varn.

Let me throw this uot.
I travelled a great deal on a ranch road in my Infiniti Q45. The dust built up in the radiator. Even though I was my car religously, the fine dustg built up and caused overheating....even with two extra electric fans.
When I replaced the radiator......about 20 oz of dirt fell uot..........just sharing my experience.

Varn 07-22-2012 10:06 PM

Yep I agree with your thought.
My car is 250,000 miles young. Is nearly 30 years old. I am one of the masses.

I travel regularly on dust covered roads. This year has really been a challenge. Our road is nothing but dust from the drought and heat. In four miles I can't see anything behind me.Probably my radiator is filled with dust. At least they put in a gauge instead of an idiot light showing that your engine is overheated.

I think I will get my power washer out and see if I can wash any dust out of the radiator.

mcrews 07-22-2012 10:24 PM

The dust built up between the A/C radiator and the water radiator. There was a foam ring around the the two radiators that also prevented the dust from washing out.
Now when I spray clean the engine compartment, I stick the spray wand down between the two.

MetroMPG 07-23-2012 08:44 AM

Just FYI - careful about cleaning a radiator using high pressure - you can bend the cooling fins & make things worse. (Ask me how I know.)

Varn 07-23-2012 08:55 AM

Good point. I have one that is gas powered and pushes water much harder than what I have seen at car washes. For now I have good enough cooling and too many projects to worry.

ConnClark 07-24-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varn (Post 318126)
The optimum size is the stock opening for this weather and load. I am sure that the engineers at VW considered how much air is required at such load conditions.

Good Call