EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   another jeep to ecomodder (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/another-jeep-ecomodder-5500.html)

jman 10-11-2008 09:28 PM

another jeep to ecomodder

hello i am new to ecomodding, i have a 1988 jeep comanche 2.5l 4cyl. upon visiting this website has given me many ideas to boost my mpg.

so far:
vac guage
air fuel guage
injector shut down
alternator field shut down
elimination of manual fan

still not getting the mileage that i would like to, the most i have gotten so far is 25 mpg hwy

any ideas would be appreciated

FastPlastic 10-11-2008 10:13 PM

Welcome! Sounds like your well on your way. 25mpg is not too shabby. If you do a lot of highway aerodynamics is what you should check out.

ankit 10-12-2008 12:00 AM

Welcome. Fastplastic started up a nice jeep thread that you might want to check out...http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...mods-2614.html

Red 10-12-2008 04:34 AM

Welcome to EM. Cool that you have an MJ, would love to have one. From the 4 poppers I've heard good things about an e-fan swap, also replacing the TB with on off a 4.0 seemed to help as well

Memorytwo 10-12-2008 11:39 PM

well 25mpg isnt too surprising being that its a light truck with a small engine.
but welcome! Ive always wanted a 4cyl jeep. but more of a wrangler instead.

95CHERJUST 10-13-2008 12:09 AM

Hey Jeeps guys Justin here.

Question on those mods on the first guy how do i do it.

The injector kill switch, what does it do and how does it benefit

The alternator switch how do you do that

Its a 95 xj 2 door 4.0 liter OBD1

jman 10-13-2008 03:31 PM

you will probobly have to do the injection kill switch different than me because my jeep is an 88. what i did was put one wire on my map sensor to the wiring harness ground. i do not know how right that is but it worked on my truck, and would not suggest putting anything to ground on a newer vehicle. the only reason i had the guts was considiring the fact that i had a spare computer and a spare map sensor out of a 2.5 cherokee that i scrapped.

as for the alternator the only thing that i did was put a switch on the alternator field wire. if you are not familiar with how an alternator works you can go to HowStuffWorks - Learn How Everything Works! i have found alot of usefull knowledge there.

the only benefit to the alt not charging is , when the alternator field is turned off the alternator does not charge, therefore eliminating drag on the belt.

i use the injector shut down when i am going down hills and or down shifting to a stop. if you have an auto it will not be much use

95CHERJUST 10-13-2008 05:22 PM

Yea i run hydrogen cell which draws 20 to 30 amps so i need my alternator that or 50 batteries. What is the injector switch it kills them i guess, then what you just use the key and re-fire it? why dont you just turn the car off and on with the key.

As for how i drive on hills if its a big enought hill i put in nuetral and shut her down. if its a short hill i just go to neutral and then back to drive and ease back into it. How bad is all this from trannies

jman 10-13-2008 07:46 PM

if you turn the key back too far it will lock your steering column and since you have an automatic you would have to stop your jeep because it may not start in drive. since i have a standard when i come to a stop sign i can cut my fuel injector and use the motor as a engine brake and not use any fuel, or i can shut down the engine and not risk locking my steering column. more of the less just a saftey and convienece issue.

95CHERJUST 10-13-2008 11:05 PM

yea ive gotten used to just turning off and on real quick usaully never turning, plus if key is off all the way your miles dont register while hypermilling in nuetral must be on to get credit