EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Another Metro goes aero (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/another-metro-goes-aero-9666.html)

robertwb70 08-15-2009 12:42 AM

Another Metro goes aero

Finally started on some aerodynamic mods to my 1991 Metro, pics at the link below. Comments welcomed.

Robertwb70

SVOboy 08-15-2009 12:47 AM

Very red :D

Nice work :thumbup:

robertwb70 08-15-2009 01:10 AM

Thanks-I don't like red so this car wasn't really what I would choose but for $150 I couldn't pass it up...even if it is red. I would rather have a gen3 5 speed but all my cars for the last 7 yrs have been manual trans cars so it's nice to have an auto for a change.

What's the record for auto trans 1.0 MPG?

I see most people claim 36-38 MPG is good for an auto but I've been getting 42 with no aero mods and only a few engine mods.

Christ 08-15-2009 01:10 AM

Nice.

Welcome, as well.

robchalmers 08-15-2009 06:05 AM

Nice :)

MadisonMPG 08-15-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertwb70 (Post 121407)
Thanks-I don't like red so this car wasn't really what I would choose but for $150 I couldn't pass it up...even if it is red. I would rather have a gen3 5 speed but all my cars for the last 7 yrs have been manual trans cars so it's nice to have an auto for a change.

What's the record for auto trans 1.0 MPG?

I see most people claim 36-38 MPG is good for an auto but I've been getting 42 with no aero mods and only a few engine mods.

Depends on how you drive, if you stay off the highway, it'll be good.

aerohead 08-15-2009 03:27 PM

Metro

The work looks great! I do think you might consider restoring the rear valance panel.It may not catch the air as you suspect but rather create an inverted pool of stagnant air that the air flowing below just skips over,as an upright "bird-bath" spoiler would do on a Mustang's trunklid.

robertwb70 08-15-2009 06:11 PM

Added some updates- Front tire deflectors, rear appearance panels and the upper part of rear fender skirts.

MadisonMPG- I drive mostly on rural roads to and from school and you can tell it doesn't like to go over about 60 MPH. I don't have a tach but I did the math and the RPMs are ridiculous at anything over 60 anyway so I just try to avoid the interstate; I do that regardless of the vehicle I'm driving so it's not a big deal for me.

aerohead- That thought did cross my mind but I can always get a better rear fascia from the salvage yard if it turns out to be an issue (this one is pretty rough so I think I did it a favor). The airdam on the front will probably make it a non-issue either way since there will be so much less air under there to begin with.

NeilBlanchard 08-15-2009 07:04 PM

Wow Robert -- you're quick and good! The front wheel deflectors are exactly what I was going to suggest, and before I can post it -- you've got them made.

You should start a fuel log!

It looks like you'd benefit from some lens polish -- I saw some stuff recently that turns clouded headlight lenses clear again...

Christ 08-15-2009 09:52 PM

I love the way your front bumper cover is turning out, but maybe you should make a 'glass copy of it when you're done, and use that instead? So you don't have 10 seams and rivets everywhere, I mean. Unless you're like me, and you like that sort of thing... LOL.