Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another new Michigan driver

I've been lurking long enough, time to say hi.

HI.

Ok so I'm just learning hypermiling and I need to combine that with some good modding so here I am. I drive a 2004 Chevy Aveo hatch with auto trans. Wanted a manual, but there weren't many aveos in MI within my price range so I'm stuck with the auto.

I have a few ideas for some mods to start off with, but right now I have to save up enough money to get regular maintenance done. I just bought it a few weeks ago and there are a few things that need taking care of. Once that stuff is out of the way I'd love to get started modding. I have always wanted to install side view cameras, so I might start there.

I'm also wondering about lowering with the H&K springs. Does that improve gas mileage enough to offset the cost of springs? I have a friend with all the tools and he can help me install, but $225 is a lot of money to me so I wouldn't want to dive in before knowing it would actually help a lot.

I've talked too long, time to let you guys chime in,

- Micman

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Welcome to the site Micman.

I too have an aveo, although its a manual trans. It does pretty good on gas if you take it easy.

The springs will never pay for themselves unfortunately. However, a top grill block would probably be the best mod to start with. They're cheap and easy to do and give very reasonable gains.
gone-kl (07-26-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Welocme!

have a look at our wiki for mod ideas:
Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder
Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

There are a ton of great mods in there!

I must admit, I'm a very aesthetically minded person. If the car doesn't look near stock, or tastefully modified, I won't be a very happy owner/driver. I also have a very, very, very low operating budget. So I'm definitely going to get low RR tires once the current treads get low. I might spring for wheels if the money is there because I'd like the reduced weight and my current wheels were scuffed pretty badly by the previous owner.

I'm definitely removing the spare as soon as I re-subscribe to my AAA roadside assistance. I'll probably pick up a cheap dc air pump or roadside emergency kit to replace it. With roadside assistance, I never have to worry about being stranded in case of a flat or worse, so that's why I'd remove the spare.

I won't go as far as removing the seats, but I've been toying around with removing the rear speakers. Right now I'm still undecided as that would hardly yield much weight loss at all. On a weight reduction note, my AC hasn't worked since I bought the car. If the mechanic tells me it will cost over $100 to fix it, I'm deleting it. Not worth the weight, especially since I don't use it, ever. Oh, but my wife may need it so that's my motivation for fixing it within a reasonable price range.

I looked for body kits that already have fog and grill areas blocked. I couldn't find any so in the future I'll look into doing a tasteful grill and fog lamp area block, plus any other areas that need it. I'd really love to cover the bottom with some aerodynamic material, but I'm already wondering how that will do in the michigan snow, and I rarely drive on the highway.

Side mirrors might as well consider themselves goners, but I'll only be able to do it once I figure out exactly what I want to use and I have the time and money. I'm planning on putting cameras in diagonally facing out from inside the door. I'll then cover where the side mirror was with some of that plaskolite (is that what it's called?) to give it a purposeful, oem look. The camera would be inside the car and inside the trim piece, then I'd install the display somewhere on the dash, probably right next to the driver side window. If it's economical/easy I will do the same on the passenger side.

I just recently realized how inexpensive UltraGauges are, so that's on my list too. So a lot to do and lots of plans, we'll see how it all turns out
Old 07-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
If your budget is limited, save for a scangauge and then start learning how to drive efficiently. It is a lot of fun to learn.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My next purchase will definitely be an ultragauge. I see now that I will never be able to improve without one. My techniques haven't changed much since I first began trying them so I see that I need instrumentation and feedback.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micman View Post
My next purchase will definitely be an ultragauge. I see now that I will never be able to improve without one. My techniques haven't changed much since I first began trying them so I see that I need instrumentation and feedback.
I was driving the best I could and could not exceed 25 mpg on a tank, usually a lot less than that, even on the highway and my truck is rated 20/26. Got a scangauge and first tank I was a solid 26. Check my log and notice the pernouced stair step! I was loosing mpg right and left, mostly from driving in low gears all the time.

As I am learning to use it better my mpg has been climbing. Even at nearly $200 paid it will pay for it's self in less than 1.5 years. Not bad considering I drive less than 10k a year. Plus if your car is striped like mine, you probably have no tack and a worthless temp gauge.. Now I have intake temp and engine water temp to the degree in real time. You simply can't optomize your car and driving without one.

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg
Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
L/100km

Missy - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 35.62 mpg (US)
Hi micman,

I'm also new here and in Michigan!

I also looked at the Aveo but preferred the Scion manly because it was similar to the Yaris I drove in Ireland and two family members drive xBs.

I didn't realize how hard it is to find a good gas mileage car over here!
I see that we are both getting around the same at the moment ;-)
Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For now perhaps, but you'll be overtaking me after my next fill-up. I had a really bad tank due to more than usual highway driving. I learned my lesson, I'll stay off the freeway if I can from now on, at least until I can implement some aero mods

Welcome to the forum, it's great to know there are others in the area who care about ecomodding!

The Following User Says Thank You to gone-kl For This Useful Post:
paulu (08-03-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread