Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Meet the New Manx, Same As the Old Manx

gizmag: Meyers Manx celebrates 50 years with electric dune buggy

Meyers’ Manx V dune buggy is an electric update on a California classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmag
"I'm an artist and I wanted to bring a sense of movement and gesture to the Manx," Meyers explained to Top Gear in an interview last year. "Dune buggies have a message: fun. They're playful to drive and should look like it. Nothing did at the time. So I looked at it and took care of the knowns. The top of the front fenders had to be flat to hold a couple of beers, the sides had to come up high enough to keep the mud and sand out of your eyes, it had to be compatible with Beetle mechanicals and you had to be able to build it yourself. Then I added all the line and feminine form and Mickey Mouse adventure I could."
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital trends
The company unveiled a prototype electric Manx to celebrate the vehicle’s 50th anniversary. The Manx V is powered by a 62-kilowatt (83 horsepower) electric motor, giving it a top speed of 62 mph.
Meyers sees the Manx V as primarily a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) rather than a full-blown road vehicle like the Nissan Leaf or Tesla Model S. NEVs are passenger-carrying vehicles allowed to operate on streets in designated areas, but that don’t mix with regular traffic.
To meet state-specific NEV laws, Meyers will limited production versions to 35 mph or 45 mph, depending on where they’re sold. At least drivers will look good going slowly.

Old Red there is 50 years old this month:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmag
May is the official birthday month of the original Meyers Manx, and the man and his current company, Meyers Manx Inc., have a lot to celebrate. Earlier this month, the Manx was welcomed onto the National Historic Vehicle Register, a joint effort started last year by the U.S. Department of the Interior and the Historic Vehicle Association. The car was just the second vehicle to find its way onto the register, following the 1964 Shelby Daytona Coupe CSX2287.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (05-24-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The update looks great!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Okay, I know a buggy wouldn't be taken so seriously as a daily-driver, but if Meyers managed to make it with a reasonable performance it sounds kinda pointless than just selling it as an NEV.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
That's just Mr. Meyers steppin' and fetchin' for the powers that be. Take a look at this:

There's the whole evolution of the basic Manx, fron Old Red to the commercial kit, the Tow'd, Manx SR on through various off-roaders and search-and-rescue to the 4-cam 5-speed Subaru powered Kickout on the far left.

Go with a lower body kit that gives it pontoon fenders/skirts, boattail, Ecopia tires and a custom tuck-and-roll interior and you'd have something driveable. The aerodynamics are terrible as-is. Probably worse Cd than a Beetle.

Reply  Post New Thread