Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '02 Saturn SC1
Team Saturn
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

DaGnoma - '02 GMC Sonoma SL
Pickups
90 day: 25.03 mpg (US)
Smile Ending the lurking...

Hi, everyone. I've been browsing the forum for a while now, and finally decided to join up. I have a little '02 Saturn SC1, SOHC auto that I've always viewed as economical, but felt it could improve. I seem to remember getting better mileage when I purchased the car (new in May of 03, at a great discount). Back then I did a great amount of city driving and very little highway, probably 90/10 city/hwy. Since then, I've moved way past the burbs and that ratio is completely reversed. I blamed ethanol for a while, but it wasn't until I took my foot off of the gas pedal that I really noticed a difference. A heavy foot makes all the difference in the world in this car. Previously, I would average about 27-30mpg combined. My last tank was just a few miles short of 40mpg. Granted, this car has no "fancy" gauges other than a tach and my butt. I see a scangauge and a smoother air dam in the near future, helping me to push 45mpg and beyond. Thanks to you guys, I've already learned that the best eco-mod of all is just to change your driving mindset and habits, and in the past two tanks of gas I'm getting 33% better fuel economy than before.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
SCNTN -

Welcome to EM! Another story of success!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
nice job adjusting 'the nut behind the wheel"!

add psi to your tires now.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Excellent! 51.57% over EPA combined!
And I see you started logging fillups in the Saturn's gas log - cool. 2002 Saturn SC1 Gas Mileage (SC1) - EcoModder.com

Hmmm. There's the EcoModder Team Competition - It could use a Team Saturn. There are some other SC/SL/SW cars on this board that are doing well. You can create it here: Create A Team.

To find the other Saturns, go to Garage, then search on Saturn in the search boxes at top. Your mpg is right up there with the better performing Saturns. Send some PM's and you should have a team soon. Those guys better not make a liar out of me!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '02 Saturn SC1
Team Saturn

Pickups
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

mcrews, I need to check the pressure on the tires, but I hate to run them too high because they are pretty close to needing replacement. I'll probably go back to the stock 185/65 width tire when I replace them rather than the 205/60's currently mounted. I had seen one other SC in the garage with 155/80's but I just can't go there - I like being able to stop, and with no ABS I'll slide everywhere if I have to panic stop.

brucepick, the team sounds great! I'll see who else might jump on board.

I also added the truck, which could really see some improvement. However, I already get pretty good mileage on it thanks to the high gearing (3.08 vs typical 3.73) and in spite of my driving like a madman. I will be very curious to see if changing habits makes any substantial difference.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

InsertUniqueName - '07 Toyota Yaris sport

SaturnMPGbeater - '02 Chevy cobalt
Team Saturn
90 day: 47.82 mpg (US)
Just joined up team saturn! Cant wait to post my next tank. Just did a 200+ mile round trip with just over 51+mpg average. This would be my thrid tank of gas since bought this thing. Haven't started modding yet. Which I will rectify here very shortly. Definitely recommend the scangauge. Haven't been able to drive without since I got it.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '02 Saturn SC1
Team Saturn

Pickups
Quote:
Originally Posted by jousai7 View Post
Just joined up team saturn! Cant wait to post my next tank. Just did a 200+ mile round trip with just over 51+mpg average. This would be my thrid tank of gas since bought this thing. Haven't started modding yet. Which I will rectify here very shortly. Definitely recommend the scangauge. Haven't been able to drive without since I got it.
Awesome, three members! I'm driving the truck this week, back to the Saturn next week, this time armed with the laptop so I can really squeak out the almighty MPG.

I noticed in your fuel log that you're having trouble with high idle. My SC did that for a while - check your TPS and make sure it is actually at 0% when your foot is off the pedal. This is especially true if you turn the car off and then start it right back up and you get a normal idle RPM. Mine would stick at 1-2%. Do NOT buy an aftermarket TPS if you need to replace it. You'll have better luck pulling one out of a boneyard somewhere. If the TPS isn't your issue, check your wires and coils. Head over to saturnfans.com to get info on the coil resistance. Awesome site. Also, this may sound crazy, but make sure the plug wires still have the factory separator clips and that they are routed correctly - although this usually throws a CEL.

Go Team Saturn!

Coming soon... aero accessories by LowCd!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

InsertUniqueName - '07 Toyota Yaris sport

SaturnMPGbeater - '02 Chevy cobalt
Team Saturn
90 day: 47.82 mpg (US)
Well. Its pretty much stopped doing it. PnG seemed to cause it to act up badly. Ive stopped using the ignition to EOC. Just replaced plugs and wires. It still does it a minute amount. Was acting more like a vacuum leak. It would jump to 3k and slowly come back down. Every shift was a nightmare. Then it stopped. Ill try aggravating it again to see if it will pick up again.

The pessimist says “The glass is half empty,” the optimist says “The glass is half full,” and the minimalist says “We’ve got about twice as much glass as we need here.”
Reply  Post New Thread