Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
97 Eclipse Spyder

Thumbs up Fuel Injection shutoff mod in 97 Eclipse

I have read where people were wiring the fuel injector fuse into a relay/switch setup.

I also have researched the fuel cutoff on half cylinders on newer vehicles.

An inline engine is particularly great to do this with if you cut off the RIGHT sequence of cylinders due to the fact they ALL move in the same direction and it will not shake side to side or cause off balance IF you have the two firing in opposite times, and the other two dead at the same times. I looked up the firing order on the car and want to use that to determine which two injectors to wire with a cutoff relay so that you have two opposing cylinders firing and the exact opposite two dead while cruising. In other words timing it where they fire back and fourth between the ON cylinders and the dead two are exactly opposite each other in up and down strokes as well, so there is no balance issue. My car is also a manual shift, and the 2G Eclipses are not very prone to that annoying engine light. Matter of fact, I'm not sure if they ever come on unless the car STOPS running lol.

ANYWAYS I will keep you updated. I'm going to unplug the two most likely cylinder's spark plug wires and let it sit at idle, and continue from there to determine the two best cylinders. Then proceed to wire it.
A 2.4 liter engine is 2400cc. I figure my car's weight and aerodynamic properties could be kept at a 65mph speed with 1200cc pushing it, much like a Volkswagen Beetle. Any input is appreciated...

I also have the bigger turbo injectors off a GST eclipse I'm considering putting in so that when the two cylinders are running in cruise mode, they can put out a tad more if needed. I'd of course put the injectors in ALL FOUR cylinders, but you get the idea.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Exceptional Member

Crapolier - '98 Chevrolet Cavalier base
90 day: 34.81 mpg (US)

05 CTS-V - '05 cadillac cts-v
90 day: 33.01 mpg (US)

95 Accord - '95 Honda Accord
90 day: 38.06 mpg (US)

11 CTS-V - '11 Cadillac CTS-V
Word of warning for you, I'm speaking from experience working on ls based GM cars, WRXs, and my Cobra. If you put a larger injector in you need a tune to lower the % the injector flows or you will over saturate the oil with gas.

Example, stock my cobra has 39cc injectors, a normal upgrade is to 80cc. The 80s will pump in twice the fuel at all times without tune adjustments. I bet I would wipe bearings in 200 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to YukonCornelius For This Useful Post:
asimmons04 (02-08-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
97 Eclipse Spyder

On that note, I'll wait on the injector swap. I found that unplugging the outside two cylinders is the sweet spot for my car. Im certain it wont take off on two but it should cruise with two once it hits your desired speed. (55-65). Revved engine a little, still very smooth, running on center two cylinders. Have not run relay/switch yet. Always at work. BLA. lol... Im also curious as to how a turbo would affect this setup, seems like itd just be air in the dead two at cruise speed but the live two would have a little bump in hp, with a SMALL amount of boost. That would be rather neat... Then cutting the other two on would be your blast o power when needed. All the car companies have either done turbo setup OR the half cylinders off technique, never both. Quite a curious idea is it not?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
97 Eclipse Spyder

Note: I would not do this unless your engine is INLINE, and EACH cylinder has ITS OWN injector. Otherwise you will get vibration no matter which cylinders you kill, and there will always be SOME fuel going to ALL cylinders unless its MultiPort fuel injection. Then you'll just run lean and knock and probably burn everything up...just saying.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the green machine :P - '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ
90 day: 20.92 mpg (US)

Thee s10 - '00 Chevy S10
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)

Freedom - '05 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX
90 day: 75.55 mpg (US)
i was just thinking why not have a switch connected to your throttle so that way when your just sitting there idling the 2 cylinders are shut off, you don't need them at no throttle any way and as soon as you hit the throttle there back on. i think that will allow the ecu to compensate for them being off cause it will be a constant point where they'll be off and not random

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
eclipse, efi, injection, injectors