EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Any LADIES here ?? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/any-ladies-here-9219.html)

Cd 07-14-2009 07:06 PM

Any LADIES here ??

Just curious - are we all alone in this hobby of ours, or are there actually ladies that enjoy hypermiling ? :D

UfoTofU 07-14-2009 07:53 PM

There's me and McTimson's girlfriend, vslentini

Cd 07-15-2009 06:03 PM

Oh wow ! That was certainly unexpected . :)

SVOboy 07-15-2009 06:17 PM

There is also another with a prius somewhere around here.

jmf 07-15-2009 06:36 PM

Three out of eight thousand.
Maybe were not advertising in the right places?

UfoTofU 07-15-2009 07:03 PM

Maybe women aren't interested

tasdrouille 07-15-2009 08:24 PM

It's a man thing!

My wife drives slower on the highway than she used to. She also takes the receipt when filling up, and goes as far as writing the tank mileage on it before she gives it to me. But she's not going to read and post here in a hundred years. It's not just that important to her, and probably most women out there.

Piwoslaw 07-16-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmf (Post 115897)
Three out of eight thousand.
Maybe were not advertising in the right places?

Judging from the picture in the avatar, the starter of the Help me build hybrid trike thread may also be a woman. I wrote 'may' since the picture is the only evidence.

But as Tas wrote, women probably just aren't into tech stuff as much as little boys are. (BTW: There is a saying here that goes: "Men mature until the age of six, after that they only get bigger". I think there may be some truth in it ;))

RandomFact314's gf seems to have a good time eco-cardboard-modding (Cardboard & duct tape fun pics). My wife seems to patiently take all of my ecomodding, sometimes she'll tell me that there was an article in such-and-such newspaper about ecodriving, but she never asks if she can help, and never changes the subject to ecomodding. Maybe she gets more than enough of it from my talking. But she did admit that she's happy with what I'm doing to reduce the amount of fuel we use (her degree and job are both in environmental protection). Since she is still working on her driver's license, she doesn't hypermile, but she has gotten into a few arguments with her instructor about the differences between what he does and what (according to her hubby) he should be doing.

alohaspirit 07-17-2009 09:31 PM

i think shes the closest youre going to find

(danica and kourtney want more HP)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VSHpGoygRs...thbusters0.jpg

blueflame 07-20-2009 08:16 AM

Emotional intelligence/efficiency buffs?

5speed5 03-10-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 115920)
It's a man thing!

My wife drives slower on the highway than she used to. She also takes the receipt when filling up, and goes as far as writing the tank mileage on it before she gives it to me. But she's not going to read and post here in a hundred years. It's not just that important to her, and probably most women out there.

Same with my wife. Her car has a Driver Info Center (i.e. built-in scangauge) and she leaves it on the
instantaneous fuel economy reading most of the time and goes easy on the gas pedal to try to maximize the reading, but that's as far as it goes...she'd never post on a website about it.

luvit 03-10-2010 07:23 PM

i have a wife. she's hot. she can waste gas if she wants. lol.

alohaspirit 03-10-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvit (Post 165423)

sorry, thats reserved for hot girlfriends

not hot wives

luvit 03-10-2010 09:12 PM

mm k. i'll work on that.

Frank Lee 03-10-2010 11:35 PM

I thought luvit was one of the ladies here...

MadisonMPG 03-10-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvit (Post 165423)

We would need pictures to verify if this is acceptable.

luvit 03-12-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 165455)
I thought luvit was one of the ladies here...

congrats, frank. you're the drama queen

Frank Lee 03-12-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvit (Post 165667)
congrats, frank. you're the drama queen

I'm the facts and logic queen. You, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Serafina_tikklya 03-28-2010 02:27 PM

I am female but not sure if I am a lady! well maybe an "older" lady, being 61.

And I think there are not as many lady motorheads in the eco area, and probably not in the high performance area either. At least I feel like an anomaly. But then I think ecomodders area an anomaly as well...

Serafina_tikklya 03-28-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 165457)
We would need pictures to verify if this is acceptable.

Hot is a relative term. My dear hubby thinks I am hot but I doubt there are too many others out there who agree with him.

myrefugeisintheLord 02-12-2011 12:49 AM

Cd,
I'm a girl, and I enjoy hypermiling! The better the MPG I get, the more I'm addicted to hypermiling! I also enjoy working on cars and getting all greasy! Sometimes I feel alone in my new found hobby. But I still have hope of finding another lady like me, in my area, that I can learn some things from, problem solve with, and just enjoy trading ideas or mechanic help.

sid 02-12-2011 10:41 PM

You go, girls!

We need to figure out how to get more women to take this seriously. Of course, as was mentioned earlier, maybe many do take fuel economy seriously, but just don't post about it.

Tango Charlie 02-15-2011 09:31 AM

So five, with a possible sixth. That's cool. About five more than I would have expected. :)
My wife also falls into the category of embracing a few mild techniques, but never posting here.

rmay635703 02-21-2011 08:28 PM

Women only care about what other women do or what men do to them, so it is unlikely either case will result in women being here in any positive light. Women also tend to be more easily offended by hypermiling hence my oppinion on the matter.

Unless we can induct an important woman to be here and actually make light of it?

brucey 02-21-2011 09:10 PM

My girlfriend enjoys hypermiling, she even asked for an ultragauge for christmas.

I think it mostly has something to do with her driving 80 miles a day, but I'll ask her if she can chime in sometime.

Personally, I don't think it's a gender thing as much as it's a gender thing to get on online forums and talk about. I'm sure many women would love to save gas, but how many have ever really thought "I bet there is a forum for that!"

rmay635703 02-21-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucey (Post 221405)
My girlfriend enjoys hypermiling, she even asked for an ultragauge for christmas.

Its because of your positive influence more than likely. AKA a safe environment to gradually become accustomed to it.

Quote:

I think it mostly has something to do with her driving 80 miles a day, but I'll ask her if she can chime in sometime.

Personally, I don't think it's a gender thing as much as it's a gender thing to get on online forums and talk about. I'm sure many women would love to save gas, but how many have ever really thought "I bet there is a forum for that!"

This I agree with to a point, but many women who seem interested in saving gas become rather offended once I start telling them where to learn and methods of doing so. AKA sometimes its worse than if I commented on their chest if that is any indication of the typical reaction I receive. I recall one woman asking at a workshop if she would receive a government rebate check if she drove closer to but still above the speed limit, otherwise she would never consider slowing down, she couldn't comprehend that $500 a year in fuel savings was just as good.

heck some people fly off the handle if they are told inflating their tires a few PSI more than 22psi would improve FE. (and it isn't just women but they seem to get more offended and seem to become more entrenched about anything that relates to ride quality or perceived safety) Men usually don't agree but don't become flaming mad either (with a couple exceptions)

I think all in all if the woman grew up around someone who was more energy conscience and had more of a lifestyle that would expose her to things like this she is less likely to become upset over it.

I also think income level and worldliness play a role, especially when growing up, but then again thats probably true of everyone independant of gender.

Frank Lee 02-21-2011 11:12 PM

Seems most of 'em place a very high value on "sitting up high" hence the SUV love affair. i've never been able to get a legit reason for that desire.

darcane 02-22-2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 221428)
Seems most of 'em place a very high value on "sitting up high" hence the SUV love affair. i've never been able to get a legit reason for that desire.

I don't understand that either.

When replacing my wife's old Exploder, the number one requirement of the new car: she has to sit up high. And there was no compromise on this.

*sigh*

We ended up with an '04 Vue, 2WD 4cyl manual, which has been pretty decent on gas. With her driving (no thought toward driving efficiently) she's getting 20mpg around town and as much as 33 on the hwy.

Sarobin 02-22-2011 08:03 PM

Lady here

Quote:

Heyo, this is Brucey's girlfriend. Before I met Brucey, I had no idea hyper-miling would save me so much money, and I knew very little about how to even hyper-mile. So honestly, I say its ignorance - men and women don't really talk about cars very often to each other, and if it was a male-started & dominated hobby, I don't think its gotten communicated over very much to the opposite gender.

I've talked to some women about it, but I get almost the same response as I do from men when it comes to their disinterest - they're in too much of a hurry, or they flat-out enjoy speed, or going 60-in-a-70 is ridiculous. There has been a few girls who looked at me with the deers-in-the-headlight look, but very few. I think the big problem is lack of shouting it out. Another problem might be time - most of my female friends have a thousand hobbies and the last thing they want to do is add another. I honestly also see very few women participate in forums - I myself am more of a reader than a poster.

I personally try to hyper-mile every day with techniques I know that work, but when it comes to what I do with my time, finding new techniques, testing ideas out, adding modifications to the car, or taking my pile of receipts and posting them get on the back burner.

Sarobin 02-22-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 221423)
Its because of your positive influence more than likely. AKA a safe environment to gradually become accustomed to it.

This I agree with to a point, but many women who seem interested in saving gas become rather offended once I start telling them where to learn and methods of doing so. AKA sometimes its worse than if I commented on their chest if that is any indication of the typical reaction I receive. I recall one woman asking at a workshop if she would receive a government rebate check if she drove closer to but still above the speed limit, otherwise she would never consider slowing down, she couldn't comprehend that $500 a year in fuel savings was just as good.

heck some people fly off the handle if they are told inflating their tires a few PSI more than 22psi would improve FE. (and it isn't just women but they seem to get more offended and seem to become more entrenched about anything that relates to ride quality or perceived safety) Men usually don't agree but don't become flaming mad either (with a couple exceptions)

I think all in all if the woman grew up around someone who was more energy conscience and had more of a lifestyle that would expose her to things like this she is less likely to become upset over it.

I also think income level and worldliness play a role, especially when growing up, but then again thats probably true of everyone independant of gender.

I've actually come across the same problem with forums - I enjoy reading, not so much posting, but some of my female friends lose complete interest if I recommend them to a source. They want the info right there, right then. I can somewhat understand; if I'm insecure about learning something on my own, Brucey can tell you, I get a bit pissy and demanding.

I also get a ton of heck about PSI - I keep mine about 48 (the tires go up to 50), and whether the persons ignorant or wise about cars, most people flip about how dangerous that is. I sometimes feel its a danger - when the roads are bad.

Last note I thought about - there is some prejudice in women's minds when it comes to cars - its still not uncommon to go to a mechanic and get swindled, talked down to, etc. I still expect it, even though I've had my share of wanting to throttle some women at my job (I sell motorcycle/atv parts online). I'm sure thats also keeping some gals wary if they have no initial education in automotives.

rmay635703 02-22-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 221443)
She has to.... And there was no compromise on this.

That statement tends to describe women to a T.

mcrews 02-22-2011 08:38 PM

sarobin said: "Heyo, this is Brucey's girlfriend. Before I met Brucey, I had no idea hyper-miling would save me so much money,...........

First: WELCOME!!!!

Second: I think it's cute that you call him "brucey".........Maybe we could do a line of casual "brucey sweats" !!!!!!

Third: Women LOVE to save money......so they can spend what they saved!!!

myrefugeisintheLord 02-22-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 221580)
[I][B]sarobin said:
Third: Women LOVE to save money......so they can spend what they saved!!!

Totally true for me, when it comes to spending what I'm saving on fuel. I'd rather spend money on my RAV in upgrades, then in unnecessary fuel. Those new WAI supplies and partial grille block supplies that I bought with the money I've saved thus far, has paid off in an average of 3 MPG extra in savings! :thumbup: Oh Ya!

And, I'll keep mentioning and encouraging hypermiling to all girls and guys that I have an opportunity to!
It's amazing how much a scan gauge has fueled this hobby for me. I'm going to save up to give an UltraGauge to some friends and family for Christmas. (only $70, instead of the $170 for the Scangauge II)

Piwoslaw 02-23-2011 01:40 PM

I'm glad that this thread is picking up. With more ladies pitching in (Thanks to all of you!), I hope that we can straighten out a few stereotypes and maybe work out a better way to get more women interested in hypermiling, and maybe even ecomodding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrefugeisintheLord (Post 221595)
And, I'll keep mentioning and encouraging hypermiling to all girls and guys that I have an opportunity to!

I'd love to see some guys' reaction when they find out that a girl knows more about ecodriving than they do:D

bdesj 03-09-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarobin (Post 221570)
I honestly also see very few women participate in forums - I myself am more of a reader than a poster.

That`s my best guess as to why there`s so little representation from women on this board.

Over the past few years I`ve gotten to be a pretty bad forum junkie. I am or have been active on at least a dozen different internet forums (probably more, but I prefer not to count them up) dedicated to a wide variety of subjects. None have been for interests that are generally thought of as any kind of macho or men-only stuff, but still I`ve noticed an apparent lack of women all the way around. Women did outnumber men on a few immigration related forums that I used to frequent, but I`d have to guess they make up less than 5% of the rest of the forums that I participate in.

Boris 03-10-2011 06:00 AM

Not many females in many male type hobbies. But still a car doesn't know or care what your gender is. They will drink fuel all the same :)

Arragonis 03-10-2011 03:07 PM

I'm a lady and so is my wife.

Mrs A is now competing for the best AVG MPG. But she doesn't do forums, she thinks you are all after her credit card, you evil evil people...

Boris 03-11-2011 02:32 AM

Her card is safe from me :) good luck to her on her AVG MPG quest.

Frank Lee 12-10-2011 08:56 PM

Reminds me of another striking gender difference, that of staying aware of current events. I took a Rasmussen poll recently; at the end they collected some personal data too. It was interesting what they did with that...

They gave a quiz about current events. It tested one's awareness of what and who has been in the national and international news recently. Once completed, you could see your results, and the results of others broken down by gender and college education, among other things. There was a striking difference between genders; the men doing about twice as well as the women.

As I explained to GF, it was NOT an IQ test; it merely shows that men love to read the papers, the net news, and the TV news while women apparently for the most part do not. This I have already observed for decades.

larrybuck 12-11-2011 07:50 PM

Thank you myrefugeisintheLord, and Sarobin for like coming out of the closet!

You are very important! You make up more than 50% of the population!
We realize that you are more into conversant communication. That's why you need to be forerunners in spreading the word.

Think of how many single families are headed by women (mostly fault of men) who always could use a spare dollar from somewhere. If a woman could explain to another woman how to save $500. or more per year for more personal, and important things than just lining an oil companies pockets; a HUGE breakthrough could happen!

A better, or more frequent vacations/trips/excursions

Affording better quality food/clothing

Money for the music/dance lessons

The list is endless!

While we are taught in scripture that God has no lack; and neither should we if we are living right, we are to be a good stewart of the things that we have, and to be diligent in business: who could fit that better than a single mother??

Extra money could go for missionary work, and feeding starving children worldwide!

Just think if women literally would want to teach other women how to drive a manual shift car!! Even more money saved for YOU to decide where it goes!

That is FREEDOM! Isn't that, bottom line; what most people really want?

Everybody out there seemingly want the green in your purse; here is an EASY way to literally give yourself a RAISE in pay$$$$$

NASCAR ratings will probably gain a lot with Danica's full time arrival.

So it also could be in the life quality of single families if you two would use your knowledge as a base to help other women.

We, as men; aren't in the best position to get this across; but you are!

It does take caring for other's as a priority over just having a selfish upgrade myself
kind of mentality!

Wouldn't you want to see other women shift a car as well as men do?

Women are predominately lighter in weight. Think of all the mpg. records you could break, that we would have a hard time beating.

Non of this is un-feminene at all! Your multi-tasking abilities should make this a breeze!

Please, please; think of the good toward others!!!

Thank you for your time!