EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   Any merit to this? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/any-merit-28997.html)

Philscar 05-20-2014 12:28 PM

Any merit to this?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Incr...zed-air-Disso/

Phil

sarguy01 05-20-2014 01:09 PM

If this guy was trying to prove something, he did a terrible job! His "Math" only shows how much fuel he is saving, but fails to actually show some before and after comparison.

All he did was pressurize the fuel tank. He did not add "pressurized air dissolved in fuel".

ConnClark 05-20-2014 01:10 PM

No.

RobertISaar 05-20-2014 02:07 PM

hilarious.

let's use engine-derived energy to(attempt to) oxygenate fuel, that way you need to inject a larger amount of it to keep a target air/fuel ratio.

gone-ot 05-20-2014 03:32 PM

...sounds like people trying to make "cleaner" air by rebreathing their "pharts" (humor intended).

cbaber 05-20-2014 05:33 PM

1. Tells you to google the science behind this system
2. No scientific testing or data
3. A video that shows a few minutes of driving, and then a shot of the trip computer indicated MPG (could have been manipulated)

There isn't much going for this one.

RobbMeeX 05-20-2014 11:42 PM

This could be real guys... Dissolved air in fuel. 50% savings, with math and stuff.

Lol.
http:// http://m.instructables.com/id/Increase-your-fuel-Mileage-50Pressurized-air-Disso/?utm_content=buffer963d5&utm_medium=social&utm_sou rce=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

user removed 05-20-2014 11:44 PM

Same post as this earlier today?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rit-28997.html

regards
Mech

RobbMeeX 05-20-2014 11:47 PM

Sorry, didn't search.

I suck, delete/ merge this.

RobbMeeX 05-20-2014 11:50 PM

It was even highlighted by the instructibles twitter account.

Frank Lee 05-20-2014 11:56 PM

Oxygenated fuel is good- that's why having ethanol blended in is good. :thumbup:

Frank Lee 05-21-2014 03:42 PM

Depends on what you're blending with. :thumbup:

As far as pressurizing gas tanks: Wouldn't that alter fuel line pressure and if raised enough, cause the engine to run rich, then causing the ECU to re-trim leaner?

RobertISaar 05-21-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 425538)
As far as pressurizing gas tanks: Wouldn't that alter fuel line pressure and if raised enough, cause the engine to run rich, then causing the ECU to re-trim leaner?

yes.

enough pressure and you can double fuel flow per time unit, causing an indicated 100% gain in MPG on a trip computer.

reality, no change. well, actually, worse since the energy to pressurize the tank isn't free, but it will show nearly double.

Superfuelgero 05-21-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertISaar (Post 425542)
yes.

enough pressure and you can double fuel flow per time unit, causing an indicated 100% gain in MPG on a trip computer.

reality, no change. well, actually, worse since the energy to pressurize the tank isn't free, but it will show nearly double.

True, the trip computer is calibrated to the stock pressure (more pressure = more flow). Also trip computers only read fuel injected at the injector. Force fuel through the canister/evap system, and its like "free" gas that the trip never sees.

oil pan 4 06-08-2014 12:38 AM

Fuel aeration, like what most carburetors have used for 40 years to help mix air and fuel?

gone-ot 06-08-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 428578)
Fuel aeration, like what most carburetors have used for 40 years to help mix air and fuel?

...which was called "vapor lock" when air bubbles were entrained in gasoline (due to heat) in carburetors...but not a problem now with fuel-injection which uses high-pressure fuel.

Remember, there are TWO ways to make a liquid evaporate: (1) reduced pressure and/or (2) increased temperature (heat).

oil pan 4 06-08-2014 02:02 PM

I have had vapor lock on my camaro it sucks..
In a carb like a Carter, eldbrock there are air inlet ports and air mixer tubes that look like tiny machine gun heat shields down in side the carb housing that premix air and fuel between where the fuel is metered by the jet and introduced to the intake stream at the venturi.
If one of these air ports gets plugged up the engine will run crazy rich.

JRMichler 06-08-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertISaar (Post 425542)
yes.

That much pressure will make the entire fuel tank go KABOOM, spraying atomized fuel in all directions, to be ignited by any spark. Result is a fuel air bomb. A big one.

ecomodded 06-10-2014 01:01 AM

What a Lark , the fuel gets all the oxygen when being sprayed threw injectors (about 45psi) or Jets on Carburetors ( 4-15 psi est.)

I did not see how many psi he uses for his pressurizing ( fail ) experiment , regardless of what psi he apparently used it would do nothing other then feed the fuel faster for a quicker drain, if anything at all.

Drill into the fuel tank ? now that's good advice..

ecomodded 06-10-2014 01:23 AM

JR I Believe the pressure could burst a seam / line with his rigged up tire pump as well let alone just pressurizing it , what hazard to put it mildly. Funny how he says he is cutting his fuel cost in half and thinking we are all stupid for not doing it.. He is a very Imaginative fellow.

markweatherill 06-10-2014 02:58 AM

I love how vague this is! It's hardly an 'Instructable' more like a 'Suggestible'.
But is it a joke after all?

JRMichler 06-10-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 428876)
JR I Believe the pressure could burst a seam / line with his rigged up tire pump as well let alone just pressurizing it , what hazard to put it mildly.

Way back when, I soldered a couple tin cans together, soldered in a piece of copper tubing, and connected the result to an air compressor. I was at least smart enough to put the tin cans inside a garbage can, planks over the top, and an anvil on the planks. Turned on the air compressor, and KABOOM. Bounced the anvil and blew all the dust out of the garbage can. My mother, on the second floor, thought for sure she had a dead kid in the basement. The cans were ripped into several pieces.

I tried again with a gallon can, but that just stretched and pulled a seam open. No boom.

oil pan 4 06-10-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 428875)
What a Lark , the fuel gets all the oxygen when being sprayed threw injectors (about 45psi) or Jets on Carburetors ( 4-15 psi est.)

I did not see how many psi he uses for his pressurizing ( fail ) experiment , regardless of what psi he apparently used it would do nothing other then feed the fuel faster for a quicker drain, if anything at all.

Drill into the fuel tank ? now that's good advice..

Actually carburetors run essentially 0 psi.
The very common 4.5psi of fuel pressure just gets the fuel up into the carburetor bowls.
The fuel bowl float or floats regulate fuel level in th bowl.
If the float or orifice some how fail or if the fuel pressure is too great fuel just starts dumping into the engine through all these little passage
There it sits at atmospheric pressure untill the fuel is drawn through a jet.
The only fuel that developes any pressyre once it reaches the bowl is fuel that gets pushed through the accelerater pump.

stovie 02-07-2015 03:11 AM

The whole using pressure in the tank makes some sense to me(other then the whole vapor+oxygen=explosion part) from what I understand having higher pressure in the lines will help with atomization of the fuel by causing the injectors to spray a finer mist. If you use a compressor it actually would require less power to pressurize the fuel system because the air at 35psi would expand to maintain a reasonable pressure therefore reducing some of the load on the alternator. However the tank would have to be sealed and I'd use nitrogen instead of a compressor to avoid exploding!! If you had a 10 gallon air tank in the trunk with nitrogen gas at 150psi and the fuel tank pressurized to say 35psi you wouldn't need a fuel pump at all.

RobertISaar 02-07-2015 03:21 AM

35PSI in the tank would end up as 35PSI in both the fuel feed and return line... no real flow of fuel would occur except for the replacement of that which is emptied by the injectors, essentially making it a non-return style fueling system, which has its downsides.

stovie 02-08-2015 01:21 AM

And what would that be??? just curious is all!!

RobertISaar 02-08-2015 01:22 PM

relatively low pressure(for fuel injection) and returnless is asking for vapor-lock.

also consider that you'll need to figure out some kind of magic for the tank cap... it's vented to allow air to be drawn into the tank so that a vacuum isn't created and stops fuel from flowing. with a highly pressurized tank, the cap is either going to vent all of the pressure or all air that gets into the tank is going to have to come from the compressor.

also keep in mind, running a static fuel pressure will cause significant changes to fuel flow with changes in manifold pressure.