EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Any Prius Guy Put in an Injector Kill Switch Yet? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/any-prius-guy-put-injector-kill-switch-yet-36278.html)

hayden55 03-20-2018 06:36 PM

Any Prius Guy Put in an Injector Kill Switch Yet?

The Prius is awesome at what it does, but unfortunately, the engine stays on too long when the ambient temp is below 60F and the pulse and glide speed is too low at only >45 mph. Well to compound that double whammy my speed limit is 45 mph locally and hilly, and my gps speed at the indicated 45 mph is only 43.1 mph. I can get 70 mpg when the ambient temps are at 60F and traveling at 41 mph (39 gps), but I'm gonna get my ass ran over when I do that. So when I travel the speed limit it basically doesn't allow the engine to shut off and I get 40s-50. All to not be that pain in the ass Prius driver. So my solution is to make my own injector kill switch. Has anybody put it on the prius? If you put the Prius in neutral it locks the engine in the current position so I wonder if it would play nice with a momentary kill switch installed... I'm really thinking some crystalline window tint for summer and a kill switch would really push me through the next barrier in terms of mpg in my 8 year old prius.

jakobnev 03-20-2018 06:43 PM

Above certain speeds the Prius needs to run the engine to prevent MG1 from spinning too fast. Adding a kill switch might damage your vehicle.

hayden55 03-20-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 564351)
Above certain speeds the Prius needs to run the engine to prevent MG1 from spinning too fast. Adding a kill switch might damage your vehicle.

Hmm thats interesting. But what about when I go from 44 motor off ev to neutral and coast up to 50s? I haven't noticed any harm and thats what im trying to do with the button. (No 70 mph png). Well I guess I always coast back down to 41 before I kick the motor back in so I guess i just answered my own question..
Basically Im trying to put the car in neutral and kill the engine, not keep in the throttle in some weird mode after killing the gas engine.

redpoint5 03-20-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 564351)

True, but that speed is above 85 MPH according to the specs I've read. I've EOC at 75 MPH before without issue.

Your easiest solution might be to fool the temps (search online for how to do that) and let the engine turn off at the top of hills by remaining under the 44ish MPH switchover point, and then shift to N allowing the vehicle to gain speed. No regen in N though, so beware of that tradeoff.

I've got a plug-in Prius, so I can cruise up to about 60 MPH before the engine kicks on, and can shift to N if I need to coast at faster speeds while leaving the engine off.

Not sure what an injector kill would do. Might really anger the Prius, but give it a try for science sake!

hayden55 03-21-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 564360)
True, but that speed is above 85 MPH according to the specs I've read. I've EOC at 75 MPH before without issue.

Your easiest solution might be to fool the temps (search online for how to do that) and let the engine turn off at the top of hills by remaining under the 44ish MPH switchover point, and then shift to N allowing the vehicle to gain speed. No regen in N though, so beware of that tradeoff.

I've got a plug-in Prius, so I can cruise up to about 60 MPH before the engine kicks on, and can shift to N if I need to coast at faster speeds while leaving the engine off.

Not sure what an injector kill would do. Might really anger the Prius, but give it a try for science sake!

Im probably gonna try it for fun just need to learn more lol.
Wow so an extra 15 mph makes a world of difference in png ing hills. 👀 Makes me wish the pip wasnt 5 grand over my prius when i bougjt it lol

California98Civic 03-21-2018 02:22 PM

You guys are doing EOC in a CVT transmission car in gear and it has not destroyed the transmission? Is this "a thing" for Prius drivers? All generations? Can other CVTs do that?

hayden55 03-21-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 564441)
You guys are doing EOC in a CVT transmission car in gear and it has not destroyed the transmission? Is this "a thing" for Prius drivers? All generations? Can other CVTs do that?

Ecvt. Motor isnt directly connected to the wheels. Nobody really knows how to describe it but you have two electric motors and a gas engine connected to the trans. The engine will switch off and clutch out and let the e motors drive the wheels when warmed up and under 45 mph (on non plug in gen 3) but you can extend the coast and pick up some big mpgs throwing it into neutral before you get to 45 mph so you can lock the engine out and keep it off on the down hill runs.
Basically its nothing like the insights if thats what you're thinking.

vskid3 03-21-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 564441)

The eCVT in a Prius uses motors and planetary gears, not belts and pulleys like most CVTs. This site explains it nicely. Toyota Prius - Power Split Device