EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Any truck drivers willing to do an exhaust experiment? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/any-truck-drivers-willing-do-exhaust-experiment-11704.html)

Domman56 01-05-2010 01:49 AM

Any truck drivers willing to do an exhaust experiment?

Weight and backpressure generally is what i'm curious about here

It'd be great if you had a scan gauge or something to add to the test

I was just wondering about if any of these will change fuel economy

1) Stock Exhaust
2)Stock exhaust with turndown at axle
3) Aftermarket muffler with turndown

This might not make much of a difference but it'd be different to see if it makes ANY

I'm thinking it probably would on a newer Dodge truck since they have that second big resonator at the end

But once again would anyone with a truck be willing to do this expirement

nemesis 01-05-2010 11:41 PM

Why truck?

MadisonMPG 01-05-2010 11:43 PM

Please stop dude. We've established this stuff already. Lower weight will get better gas mileage, but you won't lose that much with exhaust. And the stock exhaust flows fine.

Domman56 01-05-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesis (Post 152274)
Why truck?

How you gonna do a turndown at the rear axle unless its like an older style mustang or something like my el camino where the muffler is before the axle. I was just saying truck because almost all trucks exhuast are like this

nemesis 01-05-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domman56 (Post 152279)
How you gonna do a turndown at the rear axle unless its like an older style mustang or something like my el camino where the muffler is before the axle. I was just saying truck because almost all trucks exhuast are like this

mustangs up to 2004 use the same set up, and I can hardly call them old, as a matter of fact, I am using aftermarket muffler and a turn down on my 00 stang as of right now. Stock muffler was maybe 2lbs heavier, and stock tail pipe was another 3lbs or so. 5lbs wouldn't make a difference in a 3000lb car/truck

Domman56 01-05-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 152277)
Please stop dude. We've established this stuff already. Lower weight will get better gas mileage, but you won't lose that much with exhaust. And the stock exhaust flows fine.

i was just wondering the exact effect it's like flat pan hubcaps and wheels it was a 4.6 % difference on the metro on here at 56MPH but that's still registered as a big accomplishment . Same as blocking offf small areas like lower grilles and areas where fog lights etc. are

Domman56 01-05-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesis (Post 152282)
mustangs up to 2004 use the same set up, and I can hardly call them old, as a matter of fact, I am using aftermarket muffler and a turn down on my 00 stang as of right now. Stock muffler was maybe 2lbs heavier, and stock tail pipe was another 3lbs or so. 5lbs wouldn't make a difference in a 3000lb car/truck

That's why i said old ER ;)
Did the turndown with the new muffler affect your mileage at all or did it stay the same?

bgd73 01-06-2010 01:38 AM

the turn don't matter today.
a tiny engine and carbed is something to notice, but today? who cares. It will do nothing.

nemesis 01-07-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domman56 (Post 152284)
That's why i said old ER ;)
Did the turndown with the new muffler affect your mileage at all or did it stay the same?

I did affect the mileage, I lost 1-2mpg in the city, car felt like it lost some bottom end, I got little more power on the top end ( not much), but loss of bottom end torque makes the car feel more sluggish, which requires more throttle feedback. I kind of knew that I was going to get which higher flowing muffler, but listened to some people that said, less pumping losses, sure:rolleyes:. That's ok, I am working on another exhaust set up that should put me where I was before and than some, can't wait for more bottom end torque.

JasonG 01-07-2010 07:06 PM

Exhaust sizing and backpressure makes a big difference.
The better non-Harley motorcycle sites will have lots of info.
To put it briefly, "drag" shorty pipes on a bike give great top end but are beyond sluggish off the line. Ever notice how crappy a bike sounds with them around town?
There are several online exhaust calculators that will easily show you the changes. Bigger dia. pipes can actually hurt your power and economy due to slowed velocity of the exhaust gas. Then theres the whole pressure wave timing calculations to play with, trust me thats what computers are for!
For the street, stick with a good muffler, stock size exhaust, and non-drag headers and you will be fine.