EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Anybody here drive a 5spd Chevy Cobalt? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/anybody-here-drive-5spd-chevy-cobalt-3203.html)

greenwar 06-19-2008 11:36 PM

Anybody here drive a 5spd Chevy Cobalt?

I am curious to know what kind of gas mileage you are getting out of it. XFE is EPA rated for 36 and the 05-07 are rated for 34. I bet it will easily get 40mpg hwy with mild hypermiling.

Fr3AkAzOiD 07-30-2008 01:13 AM

I know I'm post rezing but havn't seen many people posting about the XFE. The '08 Cobalt XFE gets around 40mpg average as long as you EOC up to red lights and not just sit there and idle as well as minimise the use of A/C.

Z man 07-30-2008 03:34 AM

Do the Civic/Corolla still get better MPG?

MetroMPG 07-30-2008 04:10 PM

Welcome to the forum, zoid. You're our first XFE owner.

I hope you'll add your car to the garage keep a fuel log so others can see how well it does.

Tourigjm 07-30-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z man (Post 49064)
Don't the Civic/Corolla still get better MPG?

i believe the new corolla is rated 34 hwy

a little :turtle: can change that though

adrive7 07-31-2008 09:59 PM

I drove a 2005 Cobalt with the 4 speed Automatic and the 2.2L Ecotec. I could get 38mpg highway with the AC on low doing 75mph. Turn the AC off and slow down you could push it over 40. A little Neutral coasting and it can go a little higher.

The Cobalt is a fantastic little car. But, now my little sister drives it and I drive a truck getting a little over half the mileage of the Cobalt. Oh well. All the more reason to frequent Ecomodder!

Fr3AkAzOiD 08-01-2008 12:16 AM

I'm not much of a blogger and am usualy a lurker on forums so chances are I'll only keep the gas log I have over at gassavers. (unless thats a problem?)
I just don't see me keeping 2 logs up to date.

Though I have decided to run some tests on the XFE.....2 tanks ecodriving (cycle A/C, light P&G, keep to the speed limit), 2 tanks hypermiling (EOC, P&G, no A/C), and 2 tanks just driving conservativly (use A/C to keep comfortable, +5 over speed limit, no P&G or EOC).

So far my first 2 tanks in the car were ecodriving and were 40 & 40.3 mpg averages.
I'm 109 miles (1/5) into my hypermiling tank and have an average (digital) of 47.5 mpg, though I'm sure the actual mpg will come out to around 45.5 - 46.5 at the end of the tank.
I'm highly suprised as I havn't done any mods to the car other then pumping up the tires to 40 psi.

I'm actualy getting better mpg then my co-workers wife in her Prius (though she doens\'t hypermile/ecodrive.

Arminius 08-01-2008 02:26 AM

I\'m pretty sure I could get in the mid to upper 50\'s with the XFE, since I\'m getting low 50\'s with a Civic automatic.

Fr3AkAzOiD 08-01-2008 03:20 AM

Only time will tell and I\'m sure aero mods would help kick it into the 50\'s but it is a brand new car and I won\'t be making any kind of grill block or rear wheel covers unless I can make them look damn clean looking.

Also the city mpg of the Cobalt is dragging it down, 25mpg is a big overstatement on city mpg, it\'s more like 20 - 22mpg.

I\'ll be happy with anything over 50% above EPA as an average.

Arminius 08-01-2008 05:31 AM

Yeah, I agree. I\'m strictly speaking of the route I take. I mostly likely couldn\'t take your route and get the same mileage. If I\'m on a city route with a stoplight every block or so, I can\'t get EPA mileage on my car. However, if the stoplights are 2-3 miles apart, I can get 30% over EPA.