EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Anyone interested in a discounted Miles35 Upgrade? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/anyone-interested-discounted-miles35-upgrade-10683.html)

stou0220 10-20-2009 09:34 AM

Anyone interested in a discounted Miles35 Upgrade?

I bought a field reduction from Miles35 when I first got my ZX40S. As many of you may be aware this little device is quite expensive at $995. I have never installed it, and was wondering if anyone was interested in purchasing for a 'substantial discount'. If interested, please let me know!

rmay635703 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

Good Luck on your sale!

Sadly I doubt that upgrade would work on my 48v miles, but to help others...

What year, model and voltage was it for?

Was it for AC drive or DC?

And to just humor my curiousity, where did the thing hookup, which terminals on the motor and what type of switch did it have.

I am more interested in a fit and function as I already have made something similar (I think) but am wondering where he had you hookup the thing and locate the button.

Cheers
Ryan

stou0220 10-20-2009 07:30 PM

This one was designed for a 2007, 72-Volt ZX40S, 6.3 KW DC Motor. I think the length of the cable is what matters the most, but I don't know for sure. I don't have the instructions in front of me, but I think it hooks up to D1 and D2 on the motor. When I get to the documentation I will confirm!

bbenny 10-21-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stou0220 (Post 134951)
This one was designed for a 2007, 72-Volt ZX40S, 6.3 KW DC Motor. I think the length of the cable is what matters the most, but I don't know for sure. I don't have the instructions in front of me, but I think it hooks up to D1 and D2 on the motor. When I get to the documentation I will confirm!

Hello Stou0220, Might be interested in the device(is it from Mark D. in Ohio?). I too have an 07 zx40s, which I think has the Chinese motor and controller. Just learning about my car. Were you able to upgrade the SPEED? ? ? Thanks, Don

rmay635703 10-21-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbenny (Post 135110)
Hello Stou0220, Might be interested in the device(is it from Mark D. in Ohio?). I too have an 07 zx40s, which I think has the Chinese motor and controller. Just learning about my car. Were you able to upgrade the SPEED? ? ? Thanks, Don

If you want your top speed to go up several MPH just air your tires up to 50psi (or live dangerously and go to 60psi like I do)

Given that the tires on the miles are rated at 44psi at 120mph I would estimate your safe at 50psi at 30ish mph.

In regards to the device, field reduction will increase your speed but also draws more amps, I don't think he installed the device but I am curious if it was fully automatic (no button) or engaged once you got to a certain speed.

Cheers
Ryan

stou0220 10-21-2009 07:19 PM

You're right, I haven't installed the device. However, I have installed and driven a ZX40S with a field reduction device on it that a close friend of mine has that he also bought I think from the same guy (they look almost identical).

There is nothing to the device, no buttons or anything. It looks like a short PVC pipe with a wire sticking out of each end. You can see the pics on Miles32.com. You bolt one end to D1 on the motor, and the other to D2. It took me 20 minutes installing it on my friends car. The difference in performance was substantial, as instead of going to 18MPH and dragging, it went to about 30 quickly before moving higher. We have a lot of hills, but on our flatest roads the car can go 35-40. Hill performance is better too but don't expect to go 35 up a steep hill!

If you are interested in buying the device, I will sell it a lot cheaper than what I paid for it just about a month ago. Some things have changed for me personally, and that same friend may take ownership of the car, at least partially. I will still work on it and drive it, but he would like to look for other ways to speed, like a bigger motor and/or replacement transmission.

stou0220 10-21-2009 07:23 PM

Oh, I forgot to say that it is indeed from Mark L. in Ohio! I have talked to him and he appears to be pretty knowledgeable and a really nice guy. I asked if he would take this back, but he said his cost in it is too much to do that, but the next one he sold he would send my way. That hasn't happened as of yet, and if I can sell this at a discount, providing someone a good deal and putting some money back into my pocket, I am happy to do so!

rmay635703 10-22-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stou0220 (Post 135139)
You're right, I haven't installed the device. However, I have installed and driven a ZX40S with a field reduction device on it that a close friend of mine has that he also bought I think from the same guy (they look almost identical).

There is nothing to the device, no buttons or anything.
It took me 20 minutes installing it on my friends car. The difference in performance was substantial, as instead of going to 18MPH and dragging, it went to about 30 quickly before moving higher. We have a lot of hills, but on our flatest roads the car can go 35-40. Hill performance is better too but don't expect to go 35 up a steep hill!

That is very strange indeed, on my car with field reduction my hill climbing ability is reduced, I still wonder if that device is always on or if it detects the motor volts and ramps up slowly as some of the electronic types do.

Right now many hills I can only climb going about 15mph, some as low as 12mph if they are steep and I don't get a running start.

My speed graaadddually increases from about 23mph up to 32mph when my batteries are fully charged on flat ground with hyperinflated tires and the speedup above 18mph is rather slow also. But again my car is 48v so it does behave differently than a 72v model.

I wonder how much of a range hit that device causes and if the hit occurs at all speeds or only higher speeds.

Interesting, too bad I can't take a look at one of those things up close and inside sometime. :)

bbenny 10-22-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stou0220 (Post 135142)
Oh, I forgot to say that it is indeed from Mark L. in Ohio! I have talked to him and he appears to be pretty knowledgeable and a really nice guy. I asked if he would take this back, but he said his cost in it is too much to do that, but the next one he sold he would send my way. That hasn't happened as of yet, and if I can sell this at a discount, providing someone a good deal and putting some money back into my pocket, I am happy to do so!

Hi, Yes, I am interested. What are you asking for it? Also, can we communicate via phone? We could get info transferred much quicker. I am NEW on this site, and don't know the rules....................Don p.s.(what is "Go Advanced")

stou0220 10-22-2009 10:13 PM

Hi Benny,

I sent you a PM here with my email and phone number. If you want to contact me we can discuss!

Ryan, I wish I can give you more info, but short of cracking it open I don't what's inside that PVC pipe! My buddy wanted to drill a hole in it and look in it as he is extremely interested too. I told all he had to do was buy it and he could do whatever, but we are now thinking about some more radical mods...

oscar 05-23-2010 11:42 PM

I have just purchased a 2007 Miles ZX40S and would be very interested in your upgrade but you will have to tell me about it or where I can read about it. Your referenced miles35.com & miles32.com do not exist. Thanks, oscar

stou0220 05-25-2010 12:37 AM

Hi Oscar,

I posted this last fall, and since that time it looks like Mark (the miles35 guy), must have retired from making these devices. Also I sold this particular device to another ecomodder. I am not sure if you can get these anywhere now. I do have another in use, that keeps my 2007 ZX40S running 35-40MPH, that I am seriously considering selling to put a 5-speed transmission in this car. I don't plan on doing this immediately, but hopefully sometime this summer. If you are interested in the device at that time, PM me your email address and I can send you a message when I am ready to sell it.

oscar 05-25-2010 09:54 AM

I may very well be interested; I have a lot to do to get my ZX40S running. It needs batteries worest of all and then I don't know if there might be other problems. Moreover since buying it used and not running (most batteries "popped") I don't know exactly what I have. I suspect that it has not been modified for increased speed which is something I want to do provided I don't discover that I have more serious problems. I have read some post about installing a transmission or maybe more specificly a shifter. What do you know about the transmission? Have you found a source to obtain a transmission? I have searched the net a little and thus far haven't found one. I see from your profile that you are located in SC. I live in north GA (Cleveland). best regards, oscar
owr3 at windstream.net

rmay635703 05-25-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscar (Post 176077)
I may very well be interested; I have a lot to do to get my ZX40S running. It needs batteries worest of all and then I don't know if there might be other problems. Moreover since buying it used and not running (most batteries "popped") I live in north GA (Cleveland). best regards, oscar
owr3 at windstream.net

Ah, thats too bad, these cars should have a bold lable on the batteries that say

"If batteries have sat more than one month trickle charge each battery then discharge each battery slowly before use."

Those miles batteries last forever but only if you use them all the time.

Your best bet (although not for range) is a set of 6 8v batteries, 3 in the rear tub and 3 up front, you need to cut the rear tabs off the battery front tray and add a few pieces of flat metal stock to do it right. Then just strap them in

Its too bad no one who has an inop EV lives nearby, I wouldn't mind helping fix a few of these birds myself.

But since you have nothing to loose and already popped the matting, my recommendation is to pop the tops on the AGM batteries (they are flooded AGMS) then add a small amount of water to each cell inside the battery, then duct tape the cover back on and charge very slowly for about a day with a trickle charger then discharge very slowly with a flashlight battery or a small 12v light.

This device works well for the endevor of both charging and discharging the batteries if you like living dangerously and building your own charger.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/elect/3dollarbattggn.htm

Cheers
Ryan