EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Anyone venting their battery into their air intake? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/anyone-venting-their-battery-into-their-air-intake-40421.html)

Logic 08-09-2022 07:45 PM

Anyone venting their battery into their air intake?

So when batteries are charged (overcharged) they vent a bit of hydrogen. (amongst other things better burned? and sent out the tailpipe?)
Yes even the new sealed ones.
Yes Lithium etc batteries too.

So while any gains from this combustible gas/es will be minimal, why not vent them into the intake for that extra 0.000001 MPG? :)
Is anyone doing this??

(Oxygen is also produced so a bubbler may be a good idea)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-10-2022 01:50 AM

Maybe it's some concern about the lead which would poison the catalytic converter, unless we're talking about certain cars made until '07 in South Africa which still didn't have one. Even the Brazilian-made Opel Corsa assembled from CKD kits in South Africa...

Piotrsko 08-10-2022 09:22 AM

Every FLA battery I ever charged also spits out a bit of the acid electrolyte mist. Ever notice the ventcaps fizz when you alkali neutralized them?

oil pan 4 08-10-2022 10:24 AM

I wouldn't want a bad sell puking acid into the intake.

Logic 08-10-2022 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 672672)
Maybe it's some concern about the lead which would poison the catalytic converter, unless we're talking about certain cars made until '07 in South Africa which still didn't have one. Even the Brazilian-made Opel Corsa assembled from CKD kits in South Africa...

Actually I'm trying to het better mileage out of the ox I ride around here. :)

Logic 08-10-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 672689)
Every FLA battery I ever charged also spits out a bit of the acid electrolyte mist. Ever notice the ventcaps fizz when you alkali neutralized them?

Yep. But said bubbler should clean that up.
(That's like a bong with any battery gasses bubbling through water gor those wondering)
One might even ad an alkalizing agent like soap to the water.

Logic 08-10-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 672694)
I wouldn't want a bad sell puking acid into the intake.

Ye the bubbler should fix that.
(a bong type thing with the gasses bubbling through water, possibly containing something slightly alkaline)

aerohead 08-11-2022 10:58 AM

vent to intake

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logic (Post 672660)
So when batteries are charged (overcharged) they vent a bit of hydrogen. (amongst other things better burned? and sent out the tailpipe?)
Yes even the new sealed ones.
Yes Lithium etc batteries too.

So while any gains from this combustible gas/es will be minimal, why not vent them into the intake for that extra 0.000001 MPG? :)
Is anyone doing this??

(Oxygen is also produced so a bubbler may be a good idea)

Should the engine back-fire, the battery would explode.

jakobnev 08-11-2022 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 672739)

Put the battery in a cone facing backwards, if it explodes it will propel you forwards and save a bit of fuel.

Logic 08-15-2022 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 672739)

Bubblers (like a bong) are used by the HHO crowd to prevent just such catastrophes.
ie: Unless the flame can teleport through water...
All that happens is the plastic press on lid gets blown off the bubbler and needs to be put back on.

Now imagine if you'd actually read the whole post where I mention bubblers towards the end..! :)