Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2020, 01:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Flower pot (planter) speakers

I'll let the pics tell the story. Very good sound indeed with stiff enclosures and little diffraction effects off the front surfaces. Clay fibre planter pots.

[IMG]http:/https://i.postimg.cc/gkb5kKQR/Pic-16.jpg/[/IMG]

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (09-20-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-20-2020, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Coincidentally, I just came in from the shed with these speakers I have a new amp for. They're half-finished 7 1/2" plastic globes. I'd removed the original single cone speakers and stored them with three-way speakers. I was just going to stuff them with insulation, but now I want a port. How is you position the port relative to the backside of the speaker?

I'll bet the flowerpots' mass makes a difference, but you go to the stereo with the speakers you have, not the speakers you want.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Coincidentally, I just came in from the shed with these speakers I have a new amp for. They're half-finished 7 1/2" plastic globes. I'd removed the original single cone speakers and stored them with three-way speakers. I was just going to stuff them with insulation, but now I want a port. How is you position the port relative to the backside of the speaker?

I'll bet the flowerpots' mass makes a difference, but you go to the stereo with the speakers you have, not the speakers you want.
Ported speakers need to be designed so that the port matches the requirements of the driver you are using. You can't really just guess it. I use Woofer Tester to test the speaker and tell me the required port size (length and diameter) for the results I want.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
You can't really just guess it.
Wut? I can't just use a template?

Old 09-22-2020, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Wut? I can't just use a template?
I understand the (aero) joke but the funny thing is that, yes, in fact people used to design bass reflex ports by just rules of thumb.

Then, in the early 1970s, engineers started to build mathematical models of how speakers in bass reflex enclosures behave.

That was of use only to professional audio engineers, and it took another 15 years or so before those equations became widely available to amateurs.

Then, it took until about the 2000s until PC programs came about that could easily churn out enclosure and port designs, and then until the 2010s before combined hardware / software testing mechanisms were released that make it all very easy (and amazingly accurate) to do these speaker designs.

Unfortunately in amateur car aero we're either still at the rules-of-thumb level (template), or using poor models (amateur cfd). As with speakers, some measurements go a long way!

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-22-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread