EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Events & Meet-ups (https://ecomodder.com/forum/events-meet-ups.html)
-   -   April 11, 2014 Watkins Glen Green Grand Prix (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/april-11-2014-watkins-glen-green-grand-prix-28071.html)

Bob Gillespie 01-28-2014 12:06 PM

April 11, 2014 Watkins Glen Green Grand Prix

Please consider entering our 10th annual Watkins Glen Green Grand Prix. It's a fuel economy competitition on the famous Watkins Glen NASCAR short course for many classes of vehicles. We want auto tech students to see your cars. I can send you a copy of our rules. facebook under Green Grand Prix Corporation.:turtle:

2000neon 01-28-2014 12:59 PM

Are there more details out there somewhere? I don't see much on the facebook page. Costs/ entry fees? Just one day or is it a multi-day event?

Gasoline Fumes 01-28-2014 01:08 PM

Welcome To The Official Green Grand Prix Web Site

MetroMPG 01-28-2014 02:19 PM

Hi, Bob! Thanks for the heads-up.

There's a long tradition of EcoModders at this event:
I'm generally too unorganized to have my car ready to compete at something this early in the year, but I've been to 3 or 4 of them and they're always worth the trip.

Bob Gillespie 01-28-2014 05:13 PM

The schedule is posted on our website. Registration cost for a private vehicle is $100 but we will waive this for particularly innovative entries from ecomodders. It will be a one day only event with 2 stage rally. Registration includes buffet dinner for 2 at the Glen Club (awesome restaurant at the top of the Esses). 2 Tee shirts, All special insurance covered by the SCCA. You can't beat this when you consider you have about 2 1/2 hours on one of the world's most famous race tracks.

sheepdog 44 01-28-2014 07:08 PM

Thanks for reaching out to this community, that's a fantastic offer! I highly suggest anyone who can make the trip go. I had a great time last year, definitely worth it.

It should be a great incentive for many of us in our ecomodding efforts.

Bob Gillespie 01-29-2014 08:25 AM

Green Grand Prix of the United States

Come to think of it , this event could be called " Green Grand Prix of the United States" because it's the only one of it's kind ( for nearly all classes of cars). Not a spec series. I don't think there is one like this anywhere else in the world for that matter.

brucepick 02-02-2014 08:17 AM

2014 GGP Rules

I plan to be there again this year. I've run in this three times so far, had to miss last year due to surgery. I've thoroughly enjoyed it every time.

Below is a paste of the official rules, as I received them from Bob Gillespie.

A few notes from me:

Section 1 below is "Vehicle categories". AKA Classes. Most EcoModder cars will be in the fifth class below, "Modified Production".

Section 2 below is "Rules for Stage I"

Stage 1 is the approx 100 mile drive on the Watkins Glen track, which is driven Friday morning. Stage 2 is a more conventional time-and-distance rally on local roads, run on Friday afternoon.

RULES:

1. Vehicle categories:

· Stock production: This category allows anyone with a stock, street legal production vehicle to compete with a 3, 4, 6, or 8 cylinder gasoline/ethanol engine, or a 3, 4, 6, and 8 cylinder diesel engine (awards given in all eight classes). The vehicle can be any make, model, or year with any engine displacement, but it must be unmodified in any way and at least 1000 vehicles, of that model, produced world-wide. Tires must be the original size and air pressure is limited to 40psi. Higher pressure is permitted if the vehicle manufacturer requires higher pressure.

· Stock Hybrid: This category will be divided into subgroups according to number of engine cylinders. The vehicle can be any make, model, or year with any engine displacement, but it must be unmodified in any way and at least 1000 vehicles, of that model, produced world-wide. Tires must be the original size and air pressure is limited to 40psi. Higher pressure is permitted if the vehicle manufacturer requires higher pressure.

· Stock Plug-In Hybrids: This category is for unmodified production plug-in hybrids. The vehicle can be any make, model, or year with any engine displacement, but it must be unmodified in any way and at least 1000 vehicles, of that model, produced world-wide. Tire sizes and tire pressures same as above.

· Production Electric Vehicles: The vehicle can be any make, model, or year, but it must be unmodified in any way and at least 1000 vehicles, of that model, produced world-wide. Vehicles not able to complete the 100 mile distance must pit prior to complete battery discharge. Vehicles that need to be towed due to battery discharge will be disqualified from the competition; however, distance traveled will be posted on the website. Tire sizes and tire pressures same as above.

· Modified production: This category allows anyone with a street legal production vehicle to compete with a modified 3, 4, 6, or 8 cylinder gasoline/ethanol engine, or a 3, 4, 6, and 8 cylinder diesel engine (awards given in all eight classes). The vehicle can be any make, model, or year with any engine displacement. Tires must be the original size and air pressure is limited to 50p.s.i. Other than tires, modifications are unrestricted but the vehicle must be street legal, with all safety devices retained and at least 1000 vehicles, of that model produced world-wide. Hybrid vehicles are included.

· Exhibition: This category allows any street legal vehicle to participate in the event and its fuel economy will be posted on the website if accurately measurable. There will be special awards for this category TBA. Entry fees may be reduced or eliminated to promote participation. Modified Plug-in hybrid, electric vehicles, and extended range electric vehicles are permitted in this category.

2. Rules for Stage I:

· All rules will be strictly enforced by a non-biased, outside organization.

· This event will be approximately 100 miles on the short course at WGI.

· The minimum speed limit is 35mph.

· The maximum speed limit is 60 mph.

· Target average speed is 45mph.

· There will be a 1mpg deduction for every mph under the minimum speed limit. This deduction will be assessed by overall average speed for the entire event, not individual laps.

· Competitors will be black flagged with a stop-and-go penalty along with a one mile per gallon penalty for following closer than two car lengths directly behind another vehicle.

· Competitors will be black flagged with a stop-and-go penalty along with a one mile per gallon penalty for driving unsafely or exceeding the maximum speed limit.

· All vehicles must have a minimum of 3 wheels and be designed to carry at least 2 people.
· All competitors will fuel their vehicles at a fuel station designated by Green Grand Prix officials at the beginning of the event, and then again at the end of the event to measure fuel consumption.
· All vehicles will be fueled by a Green Grand Prix official at the owner’s expense.
· All vehicles will be fueled by the same official, at the same pump, for both refuel processes.
· All vehicles utilizing bladder fuel tanks will use the factory-equipped fuel economy indicator to measure fuel consumption. Green Grand Prix officials will reset the indicator immediately before the car enters the track surface; the same official will read the indicator after the vehicle exits the track. If the vehicle has a bladder tank and is not equipped with a factory-equipped fuel economy indicator, it must participate in the “Exhibition” category.
· Any vehicle that has an abnormally slow fuel fill rate caused by a restriction or lack of air purge, will be moved to the “Exhibition” category.
· All vehicles must be occupied by a driver and at least one navigator.

Superfuelgero 02-03-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Gillespie (Post 408849)
Registration cost for a private vehicle is $100 but we will waive this for particularly innovative entries from ecomodders.

What is your definition of "particularly innovative"? I know I wouldn't make it, but good to set out the guidelines.
Is there an SCCA member rate (mid-south member)?

brucepick 02-03-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xntrx (Post 409852)
What is your definition of "particularly innovative"? I know I wouldn't make it, but good to set out the guidelines.
Is there an SCCA member rate (mid-south member)?

The GGP web site has links to email Bob. I'm sure he'd be ready to discuss questions with any EcoModders who contact him. As I recall, the email links are at the upper left area of the home page.