EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Events & Meet-ups (https://ecomodder.com/forum/events-meet-ups.html)
-   -   April 17, 2015 Watkins Glen Green Grand Prix (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/april-17-2015-watkins-glen-green-grand-prix-30820.html)

brucepick 01-08-2015 05:12 PM

April 17, 2015 Watkins Glen Green Grand Prix

Announced by Green Grand Prix Corporation:

Starting February 1, registrations for the April 17th Toyota Green Grand Prix will be accepted using the online form which will be posted on our website:
Welcome To The Official Green Grand Prix Web Site

Bob later wrote:
We loook forward to having you here... and as many ecomodders as possible.

UltArc 01-08-2015 09:33 PM

Awe, I was waiting for Bob...

brucepick 01-09-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 462932)
Awe, I was waiting for Bob...

Bob G posted it to Facebook on Jan 8.
Or at least, the Toyota Green Grand Prix's Facebook page posted it to Facebook. I'm pretty sure that's Bob G!

dirtydave 01-09-2015 02:11 PM

I'm in!

svt98t 01-20-2015 09:22 PM

I have been eagerly awaiting this announcement!!!

Here comes the V8!

-ryan s.

dirtydave 01-20-2015 09:28 PM

Anyone know how in depth the safety inspection is? :o

UltArc 01-21-2015 06:10 PM

Easy. Just tire pressure and tread, along with basic signals, if j remember correctly. If you can take a driving test in it, you can race it :)

dirtydave 01-21-2015 07:28 PM

Well I have an airbag light on, no emergency brake, CEL, suspension issues, ghetto wiring ect. Its a jalopy for sure.. hopefully they let me race.

user removed 01-21-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 464829)
Well I have an airbag light on, no emergency brake, CEL, suspension issues, ghetto wiring ect. Its a jalopy for sure.. hopefully they let me race.

Sounds like every taxi in Baltimore :eek:.

regards
mech

UltArc 01-21-2015 10:36 PM

I wouldn't imagine that an issue, but you can message Bob. Road legal = race legal, so you should be good to go.

dirtydave 01-22-2015 08:34 AM

HAHAHA thanks guys! :thumbup: I will make a note when I signup Feb. 1st.

I'm not in it to win it. Just to have a good time and do my best. My car will be in the modified 4cyl class. I think....

I do have a lot of fun in the city playing bump bump with the crownvic's.

brucepick 01-29-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 464829)

Geeez. Remember that some of your best buds from here will be on the track with you.

I don't think the inspection will find those issues. But I kinda like it when brakes work the way they're supposed to.

dirtydave 01-29-2015 06:16 PM

Yeah the emergency brakes do work in an emergency. They will "self adjust" after that and stick. Its a decent car nothing really dangerous about it. Working on the suspension now (tie rod ends, ball joints) will also clean up the wiring. (temporary turned permanent kill switch)

I wouldn't drive it if I thought it was an unsafe vehicle. (still a KIA)

just has a few problems.....

MetroMPG 01-29-2015 09:29 PM

Subscribed... As always, I hate that this event is so early in the year.

If I come, I'll be in a be-tailed '07 Civic. If they let me cross the border with it, that is. But just to spectate.

brucepick 01-31-2015 08:15 PM

MetroMPG, I'm sure Bob G would love to see you drive in the event if you make it out here. I would too.

brucepick 01-31-2015 08:16 PM

Registered!

UltArc 02-01-2015 12:30 PM

C'mon Metro, every bodies doing it...you used to be cool...what happened to you....

I promise I won't bother you about adding a MOD Entry to the fuel economy log, as seen here:http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-27964.html

Well, for the first half, at least...lol

dirtydave 02-01-2015 10:35 PM

Oh wow $100!! plus at least $40 in tolls from MD + fuel + fuel for the race + fuel for the drive home!

I had no idea it was so expensive.....

Why Is Toyota the sponsor? WTH are they sponsoring?

imma bout to ask a local KIA dealer for $150 to rep the brand for them......

sendler 02-02-2015 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 466315)
Why Is Toyota the sponsor? WTH are they sponsoring?

Toyota PriusC is the most fuel efficient car in the USA and part of the biggest selling and most reliable hybrid family on the planet.

UltArc 02-02-2015 07:06 PM

They donate at least $1000, plus the prize for the best school. Last year they doubled it to 2k (plus school). And that is at the least. There is a lot of stuff to pay for...track, insurance, food, ceremony stuff. Keep in mind the point is for donating to the charity/fund.

Changzuki tied with someone else last year, so they doubled it. On top of him giving me a FREE ROOM, he also donated his winnings back[to the charity]. He doesn't mention it because he has the right idea of charity...you don't tell people about the charitable things you do...but I can, because he's an awesome guy and I have a lot of respect for him.

I should note, I am not 100% certain if it is Toyota, or a local dealership. I believe the reps were all from a local place. It could be either one, but I am not sure which. I could see Toyota sending just local people, but I could also see a local dealership wanting to sponsor it for the cause.

changzuki 02-11-2015 07:19 PM

REGISTERED
http://diesel-bike.com/Centurion/GGP...on_Cropped.jpg
~CrazyJerry

brucepick 02-25-2015 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 466359)
Toyota PriusC is the most fuel efficient car in the USA and part of the biggest selling and most reliable hybrid family on the planet.

Scott, any chance of you driving in the GGP this year? I see you have an '01 Insight in your stable but I see no fillups logged since 2011. I think motorcycles are excluded now - but don't quote me on that.

sendler 02-26-2015 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 469423)
I see you have an '01 Insight in your stable but I see no fillups logged since 2011.

My Insight has 230,000 miles on it and is getting very tired so I don't log it anymore. I only drive it when it is too snowy to ride the motorcycle and in these conditions it is only getting 50 mpgUS now. I haven't done anything different to my CBR250R since the last two times I got 135 mpgUS at the Green Grand Prix and the entry fee is getting a little steep so I won't be competing again until I do something significantly different to the bike. I might stop by for a visit but the one day format leaves little time for show and tell.

brucepick 02-26-2015 09:19 PM

sendler (Scott),

Very true about the decrease in show and tell. There's now the awards dinner where theoretically you can talk with anyone - but the cars aren't there and its very different from hanging out in the huge tech garage space with neat cars all around.

bikeprof 03-15-2015 11:04 PM

VERY inviting..., "if" I can make the world turn my way and win all the lottery tickets I buy between now and then...(wake up silly !) lolol

Love to go, a bit far but always doable when/if my car is at least 90% operational :-(

mloveland78 03-17-2015 10:59 AM

Registered! I'll be there again this year with the Civic.
http://aloveland.com/museum/main.php...serialNumber=2

changzuki 03-18-2015 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 466167)
MetroMPG, I'm sure Bob G would love to see you drive in the event if you make it out here. I would too.

Ditto!!!

~CrazyJerry

cowmeat 03-18-2015 05:48 AM

Anybody entered their G1 Insights this year?

Also, how much of an elevation change is there at the track? I come from the land of flat so I'm not sure how my car would fare on hilly terrain, I don't even know how to drive it on any inclines over 1 degree!

Seems like it would be a fun trip if there are still openings, wish it was a little later in the year, though

Gasoline Fumes 03-18-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmeat (Post 472085)
Also, how much of an elevation change is there at the track?

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...age&img=712140
They use the short course without "The Boot."

UltArc 03-18-2015 07:43 PM

DISLIKE! UNTHANK! UGH!

Trying to keep an advantage here...and you all go and tell secrets...ugh....

cowmeat 03-19-2015 05:29 AM

Don't sweat it UltArc, I'm going to wait til next year so your secrets are safe for a bit.

Since my Insight would already qualify as modded, I might as well wait until I have it fully tricked out (full belly pan, three-button shifter, etc . . .) before I enter. :thumbup:

*I did download the pic, though! Thx GF!

svt98t 03-19-2015 07:43 AM

I don't think the Tank will be ready in time. So I might show up in my Town Car.
I'm trying though. I've been rebuilding my heads in the family room.

-ryan s.

brucepick 03-21-2015 12:15 PM

I've had family members offer to rebuild my head for me...
in whatever room I happened to be in at the time.

brucepick 03-22-2015 11:45 AM

Meetup the afternoon or evening before GGP

It would be great to get together with other EM drivers. A thought:

I will be at the Marriott [EDIT]: It is actually a Fairfield Inn & Suites. It's part of the Marriott chain [/EDIT] in Horseheads, NY - about 20 minutes drive from Watkins Glen - on Thursday before the GGP. I'll be meeting my brother/navigator Steve there. If any other EM drivers are getting into town the day before, we could meet up.

I plan to get there in the afternoon on Thursday. We could meet anywhere convenient, but the area where we're staying is pretty good. It's located right off a major shopping center cluster so there's plenty of parking area nearby. There are a couple restaurants within walking distance and a WalMart.

Here's the address:
1600 County Route 64
Horseheads, NY

Gasoline Fumes 03-22-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 472608)
It would be great to get together with other EM drivers. A thought:

I will be at the Marriott in Horseheads, NY - about 20 minutes drive from Watkins Glen - on Thursday before the GGP. I'll be meeting my brother/navigator Steve there. If any other EM drivers are getting into town the day before, we could meet up.

I hope to get there in the afternoon on Thursday. We could meet anywhere convenient, but the area where we're staying is pretty good. It's located right off a major shopping center cluster so there's plenty of parking area nearby. There are a couple restaurants within walking distance and a WalMart.

Tempting, but I'm about 80 miles away. But I'll think about it. I haven't been to Horseheads Pick-a-Part in a while.
I will be at the GGP as a spectator.

changzuki 03-28-2015 09:30 PM

Soon - The mpg warriors will meet in their ecomodded chariots at the Watkins Glen Coliseum.

The quest will not be swift.
Nor will it be easy.
Competitors eagerly await the challenge - and - serious competition is moving in.

- Who will be there?
- Will the ecomodders be victorious?
- What other surprises will the event hold?

It all happens on April 17th, 2015 at the 11th Annual Green Grand Prix / Watkins Glen International Raceway...

And so it is written:
http://diesel-bike.com/Centurion/GGP...x_Brochure.jpg
~CrazyJerry
:turtle:

sheepdog 44 03-28-2015 11:44 PM

If the weather is agreeable i'll make the drive out to spectate. I can't believe it's already been a year since the last time!

cowmeat 03-29-2015 08:39 AM

I plan on entering Ron Burgundy next year, once I have fully eco-modded it out. I just couldn't get around in time to enter this year, it's been a busy one so far!

After checking out the layout & elevation of the track (courtesy of Gasoline Fumes) it seems like my G1 Insight would do pretty well. Looks like I'd punch it around the first curves and climb the hill, followed by a continuous drop in elevation around the rest of the track. After the initial start, I'd have momentum built up to climb the hill. I'm gonna say my car would be off for over half of the course and still average the 35 - 45 mph without going over sixty.

Quote:

The minimum speed limit is 35mph.
The maximum speed limit is 60 mph.
Target average speed is 45mph.
There will be a 1mpg deduction for every mph under the minimum speed limit. This deduction will be assessed by overall average speed for the entire event, not individual laps.

It doesn't really specify in the rules, but I assume that although they don't allow you to draft another vehicle you could still pass? I could use some pointers from anybody who has been there in their Insight, considering the fact that I've never driven it in any kind of hilly terrain before.

I Googled it, and it's a 1,200 mile drive for me to get there. Does anybody else drive that far to compete?

mloveland78 03-29-2015 03:37 PM

Cowmeat
I'll be driving 270 miles to get there. Staying in a hotel Thursday night. I think you should check out the map that I posted on last year's event thread. It has the detail on the driving techniques that I found to work best for my car.

cowmeat 03-29-2015 04:23 PM

Thanks, will do!