EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Article: Fiat Introducing Fleet Version of eco:Drive (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/article-fiat-introducing-fleet-version-eco-drive-12392.html)

cfg83 02-22-2010 10:26 PM

Article: Fiat Introducing Fleet Version of eco:Drive

Hello -

Maybe someone has already posted this? :

Green Car Congress: Fiat Introducing Fleet Version of eco:Drive - 18 February 2010
Quote:

Fiat is introducing a fleet version of eco:Drive, its data-collection and transmission system designed to gather vehicle efficiency data and analyze car performance and driver style. (Earlier post.) eco:Drive Fleet allows savings of up to 15% on fuel consumption, as well as ensuring that all the car components are used with optimum efficiency, according to Fiat.

eco:Drive Fleet helps to optimize the fuel consumption and the safety of company car fleets by measuring the mileage data for all vehicles (kilometers, time, fuel consumption); it shows the data related to vehicles and drivers either individually or collectively; it automatically updates the database with management costs and the kilometer count for maintenance intervals; it evaluates driving behavior and its impact on fuel consumption; and it offers all drivers advice on becoming an eco-driver.

eco:Drive receives parameters related to fuel consumption from the engine control unit through Blue&Me. The data recorded can be transferred onto PCs via a USB key, and processed by the appropriate software, in order to analyse motorists’ behavior and to help them to optimisze fuel consumption and emissions

Ha ha, the text is accidently green-smiley-grin-whacky!

I like this because it sounds like an "OBD-III + bluetooth" interface. Very nice.

CarloSW2

Piwoslaw 02-23-2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

and it offers all drivers advice on becoming an eco-driver.
But will it listen to eco-advice from the driver?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 162498)
Ha ha, the text is accidently green-smiley-grin-whacky!

Use the "Disable smilies in text" in the Additional Options when posting.

MetroMPG 02-23-2010 12:14 PM

Interesting.

Moved to Instrumentation.

vtec-e 02-23-2010 03:40 PM

I've heard of it online about a year ago but there was no mention of it on the radio, tv etc here at all. By all accounts it sounds like a handy tool. The fact that the data goes online would help fiat to learn how their cars are driven too. Which is a good thing....i think....(we just have to hope they will be driven sensibly while recording data to the stick!)
Slightly off topic but:
They also have this MULTIAIR thing coming out in the near future.
Here are some links:The Fiat Multiair Technology - Engine and Chassis - Auto Focus Asia - Magazine - Issue 2, 2007
Fiat Multiair Technology – More power, better fuel figures
Now that looks promising.

ollie

Angmaar 02-23-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

it evaluates driving behavior and its impact on fuel consumption; and it offers all drivers advice on becoming an eco-driver.
This should be stock in all cars. If everyone who drove was a hypermiller we could save A LOT of gas.

jfitzpat 02-23-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtec-e (Post 162605)
Slightly off topic but:
They also have this MULTIAIR thing coming out in the near future.

There is some interesting work there, but it is proving to be problematic on a couple of fronts. Still, there are a couple of related SAE papers that are well worth reading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angmaar (Post 162616)
This should be stock in all cars. If everyone who drove was a hypermiller we could save A LOT of gas.

That was kind of my thinking when I did an econo type screen, but I'm increasingly convinced that what most drivers need is a triangular block of wood stuffed behind their acc. pedals!

-jjf

vtec-e 02-23-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfitzpat (Post 162647)
There is some interesting work there, but it is proving to be problematic on a couple of fronts......

True, like the type of oil you use. Apparently they are very specific about that. The wrong type will clog up vital ports etc and they will not honour any warranty as a result. Hmm...so there goes home serviving.
Kaching! fiat make loadsamoney! Gotta hand it to them!:D

ollie

jfitzpat 02-23-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtec-e (Post 162654)
True, like the type of oil you use. Apparently they are very specific about that. The wrong type will clog up vital ports etc and they will not honour any warranty as a result. Hmm...so there goes home serviving.
Kaching! fiat make loadsamoney! Gotta hand it to them!:D

ollie

In the 70's my brother had a Fiat and it was, beyond a doubt, one of the crappiest cars I have ever worked on. I know that is an unfair view of Fiat, but it has always stuck with me.

Add that their big resurgence in Europe is with a resurrected 1957 design (the 500), and I am still struggling with Fiat and Technology in the same breath. But, like I said, the stuff I've seen through the SAE is pretty interesting.

-jjf

cfg83 02-24-2010 02:59 AM

jfitzpat -

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfitzpat (Post 162674)
In the 70's my brother had a Fiat and it was, beyond a doubt, one of the crappiest cars I have ever worked on. I know that is an unfair view of Fiat, but it has always stuck with me.

Add that their big resurgence in Europe is with a resurrected 1957 design (the 500), and I am still struggling with Fiat and Technology in the same breath. But, like I said, the stuff I've seen through the SAE is pretty interesting.

-jjf

Do you mean ...

Fix
It
Again
Tony?

From what I have read, Fiat was the originator of the Diesel "Common Rail" technology. They were in $ trouble, licensed it to other car companies, and have regretted that day ever since. Since then they have become the "Green Car Company" of Europe. The first things they did were an Ecomodder's dream, taller gearing, aero-tweaks, reducing weight, along with engine tweaks. These days I like what they have been doing. I keep wishing they had bought Saturn (Damn You Penske!!!!) instead of Chrysler. I could have got a Saturn Grande Punto, ha ha!

CarloSW2

Piwoslaw 02-24-2010 04:40 AM

FIAT has never been known for its high quality, but it is the econocar - simple and affordable. Being simple and lightweight, it doesn't need hi-tech gizmos to get good FE. The commonrail technology was first used in the Alfa Romeo branch of FIAT, probably easier to hide the costs of the new technology in an expensive sports/luxury car than in a bare bones cheapo set up. Today's Fiats are light years ahead of what they were 15-20 years ago, but they are still on the cheapish side (both price- and quality-wise) compared to the average of each market segment.

I believe that the Fiats that were sold in the US were either worse than their European counterparts, or not well adapted to the different environment, or both. Hence, the jokes about how awful they were, along with Yugos (which are nothing more than a slightly updated Fiat 127).