EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Article: Volvo Introduces Vehicles with EcoMods (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/article-volvo-introduces-vehicles-ecomods-5034.html)

RH77 09-09-2008 08:54 PM

Article: Volvo Introduces Vehicles with EcoMods

According to Jalopnik.com, Volvo's new DRIVe line of vehicles to debut in Paris, is designed to reduce carbon emissions. How is this done? EcoMods, of course...

http://www.whatcar.com/Car/Volvo/C30/9988112424.jpg
WhatCar.com

According to the site, the manufacturer is taking a...
Quote:

Holistic approach to eco-performance
The reduction in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions was brought about by meticulously analysing the cars' total potential for more efficient, more economical driving. The cars were then optimised within four areas:

1. Reduced air resistance:

* Chassis height reduced by approximately 10mm to help reduce drag
* A front spoiler on the S40 and V50 which is the same spoiler currently on T5 models.
* Covered radiator grille. Behind the characteristic Volvo grille there is a wind-deflecting panel that provides better aerodynamics inside the engine compartment.
* Wind deflectors in front of the front wheels to steer the airflow.
* Aerodynamically optimised wheels with a unique ‘Libra’ rim. The diamond cut finish adds to the unique design and the large unobstructed area that goes all the way out to the tyre makes the rim look considerable larger than it actually is. The total drag reduction of 10-15% is due to the design of the Libra rim.
* Underbody panels on the Volvo C30 for more efficient airflow under the car.
* A unique rear spoiler has been developed for the Volvo C30 which adds both to the aerodynamics and to the visual appearance. The Volvo S40 features the same ‘ducktail’ spoiler as found on the current T5 and D5 models.
* New rear bumper on the Volvo C30.

2. Lower rolling resistance:

* All the cars are equipped with a new generation of Michelin tyres with low rolling resistance.

3. Higher ratios:

* Gearbox with altered ratios for third, fourth and fifth gears. The longer gear ratios contribute to a 1.5% reduction in fuel consumption without affecting the drivability of the car.

4. More efficient driveline:

* Optimised engine cooling, engine management and power steering.
* New transmission oil which creates much lower friction will be used in the gearbox.
* Gearchange indicator in the information display to tell the driver the ideal time to change gears."
The question: When will the rest of the world catch up?

RH77

cfg83 09-09-2008 09:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
RH77 -

Love the wheelzzzzz. They remind me of expensive audio cassette tapes back in the day. Maybe I'll make mine look like those. Ha ha, sounds like an idea for DUB.

The wheels are still not "symmetrically opposite" :

Attachment 1742Attachment 1743

CarloSW2

Daox 09-10-2008 09:22 AM

Good stuff!

I hope to see more and more of this... it only makes sense.

RH77 09-10-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 60152)
RH77 -

Love the wheelzzzzz. They remind me of expensive audio cassette tapes back in the day. Maybe I'll make mine look like those. Ha ha, sounds like an idea for DUB.

The wheels are still not "symmetrically opposite"

CarloSW2

The wheels were the first thing that caught my attention as well.

Good eye! My guess with the wheel asymmetry is the "creative license" trick used by some photo editors. The vehicle facing right may have its image reversed for some reason (it would be the easiest one to do, since there aren't any logos to look backwards). Just by trying to figure the aero, the frontal view shows how the wheels should turn and not "grab" the air. Just a theory. :confused:

RH77

EDIT: OK, after reviewing all of the photos, the one parked facing forward is the only one with the "knife-edge" of the wheel rotating forward. The rest are the opposite. Now I'm thoroughly confused.

I'll just revert back to -- Kewl Wheelzzzzzzzz. :P

MechEngVT 09-10-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 60271)
Good eye! My guess with the wheel asymmetry is the "creative license" trick used by some photo editors. The vehicle facing right may have its image reversed for some reason (it would be the easiest one to do, since there aren't any logos to look backwards). Just by trying to figure the aero, the frontal view shows how the wheels should turn and not "grab" the air. Just a theory. :confused:

No, the wheels are probably really like that and will really stay like that on the production car. That way Volvo (Ford) can make ALL this style wheels from a single set of tools instead of having to foot the bill for TWO sets of tools just to build LH/RH wheels (that the owner then can't properly rotate). Ford's been doing this for nearly 20 years...take a look at any 2nd gen Explorer with the slanted 5-spoke aluminum wheels, they're slanted in opposite directions on opposite sides of the car because it's the same asymmetrical wheel on both sides of the car.