EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   Audi Wants to Take the “Stop” Out of Stoplight (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/audi-wants-take-stop-out-stoplight-5787.html)

SVOboy 10-30-2008 08:51 AM

Audi Wants to Take the “Stop” Out of Stoplight

Anyone who’s every done a little ecodriving will know that the worst thing in the world is a stop light. Unlike a stop sign, they’re not predictable, and sometimes leaving you waiting indefinitely or slamming on the brakes to avoid running through. That’s why a lot of ecodrivers will invest a lot of energy into [...]

More...

MetroMPG 10-30-2008 08:56 AM

Wow. That's a VERY interesting option for an automaker to consider.

Of course, an alternative is roadside signs linked to the lights that provide the same information ... to all drivers. Arguably a better approach since it provides an opportunity for an education component to all motorists that the Audi system doesn't.

bikin' Ed 10-30-2008 09:03 AM

All drivers won't be the same distance away so the speed they should drive to keep moving will differ.

NiHaoMike 10-30-2008 10:08 AM

In some parts of China, there is a numeric display next to the lights that counts down to the next change. It would be nice if they did that in the US.

wagonman76 10-30-2008 12:18 PM

Best thing I ever saw was when passing thru Ohio 2 years ago. They had a sign quite a ways back from each stoplight with a yellow light on it. The sign said something like "prepare to stop when flashing", based on if you were driving the 55 mph speed limit. It was during memorial day weekend, and traffic still moved great.

I really wish that they would make yellow lights go longer here (and probably most everywhere else too). They are way too short. Nobody should have to make a panic stop during something as routine as stopping for a traffic light.

NeilBlanchard 10-30-2008 01:12 PM

Hiya,

Years ago, some traffic lights had a sign that said "Traffic Light" and when the light was red, or when it would be red by the time you got there (assuming that you were driving the speed limit), they added a lit, flashing "RED" above. So it said "RED Traffic Light" when you need to stop, and just "Traffic Light" when you would (probably) not have to stop.

cmittle 10-30-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiHaoMike (Post 70094)
In some parts of China, there is a numeric display next to the lights that counts down to the next change. It would be nice if they did that in the US.

Around here (South Dakota and Minnesota) some traffic lights in busier intersections have a countdown as well, but this is intended for pedestrians. If you know whether or not opposing traffic will have a turn signal or not you surely can use them to determine how fast you should approach the intersection.

Oh, I also remember seeing them in Philadelphia a few weeks ago.

I've also seen the blinking light indicating a stop ahead. In the town I grew up in there was one of those on the highway bypass at an intersection with one of the major roads heading out of town.

NeilBlanchard 10-30-2008 07:21 PM

Hi,

In England, they have the traffic lights turn from red to red+yellow about 2 seconds before it turns green -- and then the line of cars can all start moving at once the instant that it turns green. A lot more cars get through the green this way.

SVOboy 10-30-2008 07:48 PM

That's interesting. In the US I think that + people running reds could be a dangerous combination! :( If we could all be safer we could save some gas, too...

trebuchet03 10-30-2008 07:58 PM

Some parts of Poland have speed signs that tell you how fast to go (obviously slower than the speed limits) to catch a green. I imagine that system is elsewhere too :) I'd personally prefer that over an in car system to make it available to everyone (not just new car owners :D)