EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Backfire (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/backfire-9237.html)

chipsndukes 07-15-2009 05:28 PM

Backfire

Well, I just introduced myself, in the other section.
I am not new to ecomodding, I have been "lurking" for a while and trying my hand at saving fuel.

I wanted to post, because something interesting happened yesterday:

I was driving out of a tight curve with the engine off, bumped it on a short straight and then shut down again for a tight left-hander.
It was uphill, and with someone behind me, I quick bumped the engine again...BOOM:eek:.

The person in front of me nearly stopped dead and I had to brake, the person behind me backed off. Nobody knew what happened, just that it was LOUD.

I know that it is possible to cause a backfire because of raw fuel in the exhaust system, but I thought that wouldn't happen, because when the ignition is turned off, the injectors close, right?

In a year, this has never happened to me, but I thought I would kindly ask for your comments!

Chipsndukes

The Atomic Ass 07-15-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipsndukes (Post 115871)
Well, I just introduced myself, in the other section.
I am not new to ecomodding, I have been "lurking" for a while and trying my hand at saving fuel.

I wanted to post, because something interesting happened yesterday:

I was driving out of a tight curve with the engine off, bumped it on a short straight and then shut down again for a tight left-hander.
It was uphill, and with someone behind me, I quick bumped the engine again...BOOM:eek:.

The person in front of me nearly stopped dead and I had to brake, the person behind me backed off. Nobody knew what happened, just that it was LOUD.

I know that it is possible to cause a backfire because of raw fuel in the exhaust system, but I thought that wouldn't happen, because when the ignition is turned off, the injectors close, right?

In 1 1/2 years, this has never happened to me, but I thought I would kindly ask for your comments!

Chipsndukes

In a multi-cylinder engine, fuel can be injected into a cylinder prior to shut off, and the shut off happens prior to that same cylinder getting spark ignition. As a matter of fact, it's probably going to happen every single time, with 4 cylinders. Although it was probably the quick stop-start routine that allowed enough fuel to collect to cause the backfire.

I'd recommend installing a kill switch! :D

chipsndukes 07-15-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass (Post 115875)
I'd recommend installing a kill switch! :D

Thank you very much Atomic.:)

How would the kill switch help to prevent a backfire?

Thanks!
Chipsndukes

The Atomic Ass 07-16-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipsndukes (Post 115877)
Thank you very much Atomic.:)

How would the kill switch help to prevent a backfire?

Thanks!
Chipsndukes

When you key off, the computer stops the spark and fuel simultaneously. With a kill switch, if wired properly, it kills just the injectors, keeping the spark going, igniting any left over fuel in the last few revolutions before the engine comes to a complete stop.

chipsndukes 07-17-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass (Post 115963)
When you key off, the computer stops the spark and fuel simultaneously. With a kill switch, if wired properly, it kills just the injectors, keeping the spark going, igniting any left over fuel in the last few revolutions before the engine comes to a complete stop.

OK, thank you very much, that makes sense.

Chipsndukes