EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Barn Find CRX - Worth Restoring? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/barn-find-crx-worth-restoring-37529.html)

deafonic 05-27-2019 03:55 PM

Barn Find CRX - Worth Restoring?

Hi,

I saw this car on my way home from school, and the previous owner said I could have it for free. It actually has a valid inspection and is street legal as it sits.

http://i.imgur.com/G4onVid.jpg

It doesn't run. I connected a boat battery to it and the horn just blared non-stop.

By way of transportation, I currently use a 1970's 2-stroke moped, so hopefully this will be an upgrade.

Stubby79 05-27-2019 04:02 PM

if it's not rusting out, and the engine/trans is mostly ok, go for it....unless you enjoy a big project.

samwichse 05-27-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 598973)
if it's not rusting out, and the engine/trans is mostly ok, go for it....unless you enjoy a big project.

1 minute after his first post he posted an intro thread saying he was the new owner of a 1990 crx si, so...

deafonic 05-27-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwichse (Post 598975)
1 minute after his first post he posted an intro thread saying he was the new owner of a 1990 crx si, so...

I have 5 posts now... Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/G4onVid.jpg

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCHPcUNiXw

mpg_numbers_guy 05-27-2019 10:33 PM

Restore the CRX? Yes. But do a build thread on here documenting the progress so we all can see! :)

MetroMPG 05-28-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafonic (Post 598969)
the previous owner said I could have it for free. It actually has a valid inspection and is street legal as it sits.

Unfortunately, if you're in Ontario (as your profile says), as soon as you take ownership, the car no longer has a "valid inspection" and is not street legal to drive.

Every time there's a transfer of ownership, the vehicle has to pass a mechanical/safety inspection before it can be plated in the new owner's name.

Hard to turn down a free CRX, though! If you're game for a project.

There is ONE CRX left in my little city, a last-gen year-round daily driver (I cringe when I think of what the salt is doing to its underbits).

Speaking of underbits, how's the rust on this one? Hard to be 100% sure from the vid, but it looks like there's some bondo on the passenger side wheel arch, and typical Honda rust on the driver's side.

PS: Welcome to the forum! What part of Ontario are you in?

Ecky 05-28-2019 05:53 PM

Horn blares when the battery is connected backward, I believe.

(subscribed)

MetroMPG 05-29-2019 07:35 AM

^ If that's the case, very clever on Honda's part.

MakitaDiesel 05-30-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 599042)

(subscribed)

Hm, interesting. Figured it would just blow the main fuse and smell funny.

Mak

Tahoe_Hybrid 06-02-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 599028)
Unfortunately, if you're in Ontario (as your profile says), as soon as you take ownership, the car no longer has a "valid inspection" and is not street legal to drive.

Every time there's a transfer of ownership, the vehicle has to pass a mechanical/safety inspection before it can be plated in the new owner's name.
?

not if it's as a gift..

he can also sell it here in California for a pretty penny 3-5k

MetroMPG 06-02-2019 06:03 PM

Even if it's a gift. Any time ownership changes in Ontario, re-inspection is required.

The only thing gift status avoids here is paying tax on the vehicle's value.

Shaneajanderson 06-03-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 599375)
Even if it's a gift. Any time ownership changes in Ontario, re-inspection is required.

The only thing gift status avoids here is paying tax on the vehicle's value.

I'm glad I live in North Dakota, no stupid inspections.

MetroMPG 06-03-2019 10:01 AM

Ontario recently cancelled emissions testing.

I sometimes wish I lived somewhere there were no mandatory mechanical inspections. I can just imagine the many amusing but questionable vehicular decisions I would make!!

Shaneajanderson 06-03-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 599396)
Ontario recently cancelled emissions testing.

I sometimes wish I lived somewhere there were no mandatory mechanical inspections. I can just imagine the many amusing but questionable vehicular decisions I would make!!

Despite living right next door to the land of infinite rust (also known as the People's Republic of Minnesota), There aren't all that many cars out driving that are actually unsafe. Unless you go by Pennsylvania standards where a little bit of rust means the car is totally a death trap somehow.

That said, I have definitely made some 'questionable' vehicular decisions, one of which is driving a 27 year old econobox that I got for $350, to commute 85 miles a day.

So far none of my sketch-mobiles (of which there have been many) have left me stranded.

Gasoline Fumes 06-04-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 599042)

(subscribed)

I see nothing in the wiring diagram that could make that happen.

Ecky 06-06-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 599494)
I see nothing in the wiring diagram that could make that happen.

Trust me, I've tested it on two different vehicles. :rolleyes:

MetroMPG 06-15-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafonic (Post 598977)
I have 5 posts now...

Video...

Unfortunately, it looks like promoting that vid might have been the only reason the OP signed up. Crickets since then.

hayden55 06-17-2019 12:40 PM

Coming from a guy who has been a glutton for punishment with my projects over the years. That car is worth a little bit. Fixing it up you will more than likely be in the hole. Or if you aren't, the amount of labor invested will have you there. I bet you can just get the title and list it for sale and make $500-1000 towards a new vehicle. Then you can just start looking for a 90s honda that is priced $1000 below list and needs some stupid easy parts to replace.