EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   BBC Covers Drivers Saving Fuel (in the UK) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/bbc-covers-drivers-saving-fuel-uk-16375.html)

Arragonis 03-09-2011 05:51 AM

BBC Covers Drivers Saving Fuel (in the UK)

Kind of the first time I have seen the Beeb or mainstream media here finally cover what we are trying to do here.

BBC News - How are motorists saving fuel?

Not sure if we have a news section so I thought I would post here. Their advice seems fine (for a change :D ).

Piwoslaw 03-09-2011 06:36 AM

Good that they mentioned Spain lowering its speed limit from 120 to 110 km/h.

MetroMPG 03-09-2011 08:28 AM

Moved into the eco-driving/hypermiling section.

Good catch - this is the first time I've read a comprehensive article from the U.K. about fuel prices affecting driving habits.

The myth on this side of the pond is: you guys have been paying so much more than us for fuel for so long that you're immune to high & rising costs.

Quote:

It's all part of a cultural shift which has made fuel consumption a subject now regularly heard at dinner parties, says Maria McCarthy, author of The Girls' Car Handbook and proud owner of an N-reg Vauxhall Astra.

"Since January it's been the number one issue. The big discussion is how long can you make a fuel tank last? People are starting to talk about it like they used to talk about property prices.

"In my line of work, people in social situations don't usually talk to me about my work, but now they do. We have these cultural shifts and they recently reached a tipping point and everyone is now concerned about fuel consumption."

MetroMPG 03-09-2011 08:31 AM

I chuckled at the lead photo though - left hand drive pic on top of a Beeb story?

euromodder 03-09-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 224387)
The myth on this side of the pond is: you guys have been paying so much more than us for fuel for so long that you're immune to high & rising costs.

While we are and have been paying dearly for fuel, we're not immune to the cost rising further.

I've seen plenty of people, going (back) to bigger displacement cars.
They're going to take a hit with today's prices.

Arragonis 03-10-2011 02:55 PM

The article seems good but I'm disappointed in the comments - a lot are supportive with some real world experiences, but some are the usual kind of BS - "people driving dangerously slow" etc. Nonsense, I hypermile and I'm usually being held up most of the time like everyone else.

I emailed the website about ecomodder, maybe I may hear something back. If I do I'll post more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 224418)
I've seen plenty of people, going (back) to bigger displacement cars. They're going to take a hit with today's prices.

My boss has done this - Range Rover Supercharged to a Crew Cab Diesel Hilux. OK not exactly eco-friendly but it has cut his fuel costs by 75%.

We aren't insulated but the effect of each change is smaller in terms of the overall cost. That tapped there are people out in the country near us who are cutting down on travel due to higher fuel costs and our company admin / finance expert has started working from home more. Public transport is only a realistic option for those living in big cities, which in Scotland is only the Central Belt, Dundee and Aberdeen.

BBC Radio Scotland had a phone-in program about higher fuel costs the other week. You would think the studio guest would be maybe a representative of farming or rural communities but no, it was someone from the WWF. And his advice to people in the highlands and islands ? Move and/or change jobs. Hmmm. No wonder I no longer give them any of my money and no wonder me and Mrs A ended up shouting at the radio.

jamesqf 03-11-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 224688)
That tapped there are people out in the country near us who are cutting down on travel due to higher fuel costs and our company admin / finance expert has started working from home more.

Which of course begs the question: why wasn't s/he doing so already?

Arragonis 03-12-2011 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 224873)
Which of course begs the question: why wasn't s/he doing so already?

Lack of facilities - broadband didn't go out that far and the company hadn't bought her a laptop. Both fixed last autumn. :thumbup:

Frank Lee 03-12-2011 06:42 AM

I can't decide if I want to change my name to Mr. Tink or Mr. Bosdet. ;) Perhaps the cat will get one of them...

I was surprised about the "not filling the tank" advice... seems like a wasteful little gas tank game to me.

piers.singer 03-12-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 224986)
I was surprised about the "not filling the tank" advice... seems like a wasteful little gas tank game to me.

I agree, would this not ultimately lead to more trips to the petrol station? Unless you lived at one, one could easily use more fuel this way than would be used carrying the weight of a full tank around.

Arragonis 03-12-2011 11:33 AM

For 95% of the UK population a garage is no more than a couple of miles away so that would work. It would make it much harder to work out if you were saving anything though.

Most people just fill up to save time usually along with the weekly supermarket shop run.

piers.singer 03-12-2011 04:49 PM

This is very true. Back at home, in Sussex, there are two petrol stations within 400yds of my house. I tend to fill up only as much as I need for a journey because I don't use the car all that much (plus I'm usually skint), tending to walk or cycle into town instead.

In which case, it all comes down to a matter of convenience. As for the numbers actually adding up, I should think that it's marginal at best.