EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   Beaded Seat Covers Are Cheap, Keep You Cool (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/beaded-seat-covers-cheap-keep-you-cool-3843.html)

SVOboy 07-16-2008 01:31 PM

Beaded Seat Covers Are Cheap, Keep You Cool

http://www.ecomodder.com/blog/2008/0...keep-you-cool/

Quote:

http://www.ecomodder.com/blog/wp-con.../seatbeads.jpg

A few months ago in a post about A/C alternatives I promised you I’d try some of the gadgets and get back to you. Well, summer has finally hit and in between sweaty drives around town I’ve been doing a little research. Here’s what I’ve learned:

1. the A/C shirts, according to some cycling reviews I’ve read, are kind of uncomfortable and don’t last very long. Coupled with the high price, I let this one pass;
2. this was the cheapest option, and therefore first on my list, stay tuned for more info;
3. seems like it would work better than #1, but again, cost is a factor. I might give this a try later;
4. definitely still on the to do list, expect an update on this before I shell out for #3;
5. this is definitely next up with the beaded seats already taken of, when I return from HybridFest this is my next mod.

Before thinking about these tricks for alternative A/C, I’d always thought those beaded seat covers were for weirdos. Luckily, the other founder of EcoModder told me that they did a great job of keeping you cool in the summer. I was a little skeptical, but when he showed me his beaded covers and I realized I could get a pair for just $26 dollars (shipping included), I figured it was worth a try.

The Komfort Beads showed up on my doorstep the day after I ordered them, and I went right ahead and through them on both my passenger and driver’s seats. It wasn’t very hot outside, so I couldn’t tell how they worked during short trips around town, but today they got their first real trial.
The Date

When I removed my A/C (most of you will think I’m a fool, but it never worked anyway), I decided that the ultimate replacement would be found when I could go to a date and take a date in my car without showing up a puddle of sweat or reducing her to one. Today I got to put this to the test, as it was extremely sunny and blisteringly hot on the way to an engagement with a lady caller.

I won’t get into the date, but the beads were a success. When I showed up I was a little toasty, but my back felt much nicer than usual and wasn’t a pool of sweat. The seat was still slightly uncomfortable, but it was definitely refreshing to have my back feeling good. When she got into the car, she agreed. I’m sure she’s used to A/C, but I didn’t hear any complaints about the heat. The only negative seemed to be that the beads could tug at longer hair.
Success!

Yep, I’m going to call it a success. The beads don’t put you in a 70F paradise, but they greatly improve summer driving and reduce sweat. Especially for just $26 for a pair, this was a great deal. Does anyone have any other beaded seat cover brands they can recommend?

If you liked this post, sign up for out RSS Feed for automatic updates.[/IMG]

MazdaMatt 07-16-2008 01:39 PM

Is there something less brutally ugly? I still have some sense of self-respect... Maybe some carbon-grey beads?

socalsuperhero 07-16-2008 01:45 PM

Nice! I may have to look into some of those for my hf when i make runs accross the California and Nevada deserts :thumbup:

tasdrouille 07-16-2008 01:49 PM

I have a used beaded seat cover in my TDI I got for 4 bucks. My wife had to use my car the other day and found it to be very comfortable on top of helping keeping you cool. I would just love to be able to find black or grey ones to put in the elantra.

SVOboy 07-16-2008 01:57 PM

See, I don't think they're ugly...?

MazdaMatt 07-16-2008 01:59 PM

I didn't know blind people could get a driver's licence :p

MetroMPG 07-16-2008 02:18 PM

You could always paint them! Come on - are we not ecomodders??

I swear by these things. I've never had a car with AC (granted, I could probably count the number of weeks where they're actually needed on both hands).

dcb 07-16-2008 02:23 PM

I was using a cut up wicker lawnchair, but that amazon deal was too good to turn down :)

Daox 07-16-2008 02:46 PM

I've been thinking about this too. I too would like grey/black beads though. Thanks for the review Ben.

socalsuperhero 07-16-2008 03:38 PM

google ftw...

http://www.allcushions.com/images/TZ-9706-14.jpg

steensn 07-16-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 44575)
See, I don't think they're ugly...?

I dont either. I mean really... does anyone really have a nice looking car here where it matters? My muffler just fell off, beads aren' a big deal...

cfg83 07-16-2008 03:48 PM

MazdaMatt -

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazdaMatt (Post 44564)
Is there something less brutally ugly? I still have some sense of self-respect... Maybe some carbon-grey beads?

I saw them in that color in LA's Chinatown last Sunday, and you saw socalsuperhero's post.

I have one set for the driver's side. The lighter color is fine with me and also absorbs less solar radiation (lighter colors always = good thing when it comes to sunlight).

CarloSW2

MazdaMatt 07-16-2008 04:16 PM

The dark ones would be "not bad", as long as they fit tightly and don't squirm around and fold and whatnot. I don't drive a beater, i drive a 2k2 protege5 that still looks good and runs well despite a few hundred km's of race-track driving and a couple dozen autox events. If I see one at a store for cheap, I think i'd buy it.

Red 07-16-2008 05:36 PM

$20 bucks for a velour black ones

American Auto Beaded Seat Cushions

azraelswrd 07-16-2008 06:31 PM

Good to hear these things work. I have no shame so uglier the better, plus coming to work without a soaking wet shirt would be a good thing. :D

dcb 07-16-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazdaMatt (Post 44564)
Is there something less brutally ugly? I still have some sense of self-respect.

So you are saying your self respect is based on appearences? :)

atomicradish 07-16-2008 10:35 PM

I have this same problem with my car. Worst part of it is where my shirts get all wrinkled on the back.

I wonder if wearing an undershirt would help keep the sweat from wrinkling up your outermost shirt?

Blue07CivicEX 07-16-2008 10:40 PM

Somebody should start a new thread about "dressing for hypermiling, what to wear when the AC and heater fan kill your mpg"

dcb 07-16-2008 11:01 PM

It is conceivable to don your shorts and t-shirt (and flip-flops) and put your work clothes on a hangar I suppose, just duck in the ground floor washroom and change when you get there and right before you leave.

brucey 07-16-2008 11:31 PM

My friend got identical ones at wal-mart for 10$.

They worked surprisingly well in both his S10 (no air) and his sentra (Air.... but its broke)

I tried them out in my subaru and they didnt work out well. Sure, they dont let your back sweat, and are surprisingly comfortable, but my seats have too much side bolstering and the beads just want to push and on long journeys you can just kiss your lower back support goodbye.

In short: Not recommended with seats with hard bolstering.

cfg83 07-17-2008 03:20 AM

dcb -

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 44768)
It is conceivable to don your shorts and t-shirt (and flip-flops) and put your work clothes on a hangar I suppose, just duck in the ground floor washroom and change when you get there and right before you leave.

Yeah, that would work. I have a light-colored T-Shirt for the ride in and a "nice polo or golf style shirt" for work. Tankfully, no pressed dress shirts. I just change in the parking lot. Conceivably, you could change in a nearby parking lot if it wasn't "nice" to change "at work".

I also have convertible cargo-pants, so I am wearing "shorts" on the way in and pants at work. That way, I have an "operable envelope". But, that predates hypermiling.

CarloSW2

justpassntime 07-17-2008 05:18 AM

Oh well...

Quote:

I won’t get into the date, but the beads were a success. When I showed up I was a little toasty, but my back felt much nicer than usual and wasn’t a pool of sweat. The seat was still slightly uncomfortable, but it was definitely refreshing to have my back feeling good. When she got into the car, she agreed. I’m sure she’s used to A/C, but I didn’t hear any complaints about the heat. The only negative seemed to be that the beads could tug at longer hair.
Sorry to hear the beads were better than the date. Seems as though she might have needed to shave anyway.:D

Will 07-17-2008 06:02 AM

I must say the bead idea is pretty cool, but if I get one will I also have to get a crown to put on my dash?

Seriously, I cannot say anything. Tennessee is pretty hot this time of year, and will be for some months to come. Anything helps.

MazdaMatt 07-17-2008 08:51 AM

There is a product called "Cool Shirt" that people use in racing long races. It is basically a T-shirt with hoses stiched into it and a cooler full of ice water and a pump. Unfortunately, it costs 400 bucks. However, I bought a boating bilge pump for 20 bucks and I am going to try to stich hoses into a couple towels. I figure if I can put the towels on my seats just like a beaded seat cover and run ice water through them, me and the gf can stay plenty cool without A/C.

cfg83 07-17-2008 11:23 AM

MazdaMatt -

Here's my poormans "Cool Shirt" :

Ice/Cooling Vests: Hypermilers Dream Come True
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 23157)
Hello -

I just tried this yesterday and it worked pretty good :

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3...vestnr9.th.jpg

The vest is a fishing vest that I got on sale for $10. It seems to be a "short" vest, which makes it easier to wear in the car. The ice packs are $0.80 a piece. I may get 4 more ice packs to have a rotation system.

Yesterday was hot, but the real test will be in high summer,

EDIT: I'm only worried about the commute to work, because I usually drive back at night.

CarloSW2

It works fine. If I wanted it to work for more than an hour or two, I would keep a cache of ice packs in an ice chest in the trunk.

CarloSW2

MazdaMatt 07-17-2008 11:39 AM

haha, very nice :)

What about condensation on your shirt? I guess it doesn't matter if its hot enough to resort to a fishing vest full of ice packs.

dremd 07-17-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steensn (Post 44617)
I dont either. I mean really... does anyone really have a nice looking car here where it matters? My muffler just fell off, beads aren' a big deal...

Infact; I do. First thing most people say when they get IN the Golf is "Nice Car"

dremd 07-17-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazdaMatt (Post 44863)
There is a product called "Cool Shirt" that people use in racing long races. It is basically a T-shirt with hoses stiched into it and a cooler full of ice water and a pump. Unfortunately, it costs 400 bucks. However, I bought a boating bilge pump for 20 bucks and I am going to try to stich hoses into a couple towels. I figure if I can put the towels on my seats just like a beaded seat cover and run ice water through them, me and the gf can stay plenty cool without A/C.

What kind of tubes are you looking at? Im looking at a similar (but different) project.

ebacherville 07-17-2008 01:14 PM

I usually get "nice car" but only after I tell them I get 53mpg :) Before that its head scratching the entire time..lol

MazdaMatt 07-17-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dremd (Post 44922)
What kind of tubes are you looking at? Im looking at a similar (but different) project.

Canadian Tire is a major hardware store here. They sell food-grade tubing that I've used for a couple of hose project (brewing beers, etc). A small diameter tube with a wall thickness about equal to I.D. is what I will be looking for. I need something that won't pinch when i sit on it. My g/f suggested using "fabric glue" to attach the tubes to the towels, then fabric glueing another layer of fabric over the tubes... I don't know quite what I"ll do yet. Maybe that'll be my tinker project for next week.

I plan on using a wide dia hose from the bilge pump to a T-junction with 2 quarter-turn valves (passenger/driver). Then splitting the 2 outputs into multiple smaller-dia tubes attached to the towels so they run water in parallel. All the tubes will be recollected into larger dia tubes and dumped back into the ice box.

jwxr7 07-17-2008 01:31 PM

I have been using a beaded seat cover in the summer for a couple seasons now. Every summer I have trouble adjusting to the first few 85+ degree days. The seat covers aren't enough in this case so I went a step further and put a portable misting system together. It consists of a plastic coffee can with a windshield washer pump mounted thru a grommet pushing water thru tubing to an aerosol can spray nozzle. I plug it into the cig lighter and use a momentary push button to engage the pump. On the really hot days I put ice in the water too :D.

MazdaMatt 07-17-2008 01:32 PM

^^ hahaha...

cfg83 07-17-2008 02:32 PM

MazdaMatt -

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazdaMatt (Post 44912)
haha, very nice :)

What about condensation on your shirt? I guess it doesn't matter if its hot enough to resort to a fishing vest full of ice packs.

I still wear the T-Shirt on the way to work, so it doesn't effect my work shirt.

You can also wear the vest anywhere, like when you are gardening.

CarloSW2

ebacherville 07-17-2008 02:47 PM

Il have to try these for out trip to texas later this year.. also i hear they comfortable too

dcb 07-17-2008 04:48 PM

I like the light colored woods too. Nice to have a non plastic based product once in a while, even if the posers think it's ugly :p

dremd 07-17-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacherville (Post 44939)
I usually get "nice car" but only after I tell them I get 53mpg :) Before that its head scratching the entire time..lol

I Strive to make my car nice enough to drive "even if fuel was $1.00 a gallon".

Also
Started a cooled Seat project (Mine are Black leather).
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ject-3884.html

dcb 07-17-2008 06:53 PM

Lol, if it goes/stops/turns when you tell it to, it's nice enough to drive :) Anything else is a luxury, and not an eco requirement.

Tango Charlie 07-20-2008 12:28 AM

Benjamin, please don't attempt to add AC to your car in this fashion:

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n.../ACinstall.jpg

:D

Schwabe 07-21-2008 06:24 PM

anybody tried these? do they work or are they a gimmick?

Amazing SummerSeat Self-Cooling Car Seat Cushion

socalsuperhero 07-21-2008 06:45 PM

Speaking from experience, removal of clothing seems to be the most effective method for staying cool. Although, I imagine that depending on the seat material so your results may vary.