EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Best aeromod contstruction methods? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/best-aeromod-contstruction-methods-24502.html)

AXMAN 01-03-2013 04:10 PM

Best aeromod contstruction methods?

Hi chaps, This is my first post on ecomodder but I have been hypermiling for a couple of years now.
My weapon of choice is a Citroen AX 1.5d. which has returned a best figure of 72mpg (UK) with 40 psi in the tyres and some basic hypermiling techniques. Average mpg is between 58 to 62.

Now I want to get serious with it and give it a scangauge and some aero mods:
rear wheel skirts (cos I think they look sweet), a partial Kammback, smoothed bumpers ect.

Is there a proven construction method for these? I was considering light ply structures with model aircraft film as covering or GRP moulding.

I don't want to go at it all wrong and over-complicate it, but I dont want it to stand out in a way that gets me pulled over every week.

Many thanks.

2000neon 01-03-2013 04:23 PM

You can do a search for some of the build threads here for details on building the mods. With my old Neon I used mainly coroplast (corrugated plastic), and when I needed a little more strength I added some 1/8" aluminum bar behind it. I used that for the belly pan, wheel skirts, and kammback. I have a thread for it called 2000 Neon Aero Mods which shows all of mine.

AXMAN 01-03-2013 04:58 PM

Thanks neon, I read your thread. DIY wheel covers look good in green. How does the coro belly pan cope with exhaust heat? considering re-routing my exhaust to exit the side of the front bumper.

serialk11r 01-03-2013 05:10 PM

I'm thinking of doing a spoiler with Bondo Glass (glass fiber reinforced filler, for a little more peace of mind) and insulation foam, some people have done grill blocks with Bondo and insulation foam.

2000neon 01-03-2013 05:19 PM

I'm in the process of building a fiberglass kamm right now (See my other build thread: My 94 VX). The coroplast did very well as a belly pan. The closest that it got to the exhaust was about 2.5", and it didn't have any sign of melting at all. There were no problems with road debris hitting it either.

freebeard 01-05-2013 05:52 PM

Traditional: hand beaten aluminum

High Tech: vacuum infused carbon fiber

Ecomodder: coroplast political signs

I haven't tried it but I like the idea of coroplast with welding rod inside the channels for rigidity or shaping.

Edit: ...and, welcome.

nbleak21 01-05-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXMAN (Post 348687)
considering re-routing my exhaust to exit the side of the front bumper.

That's a sure fire way to get CO poisoning, I'd advise against it.

ryannoe 01-05-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbleak21 (Post 349100)
That's a sure fire way to get CO poisoning, I'd advise against it.

Agreed. Though I bet it'd look pretty awesome!

-Ryan