EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   The best spark plug (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/best-spark-plug-22909.html)

mldeptula 08-13-2012 11:07 PM

The best spark plug

I have a a 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 w/ 185k on it. What do you guys think is the best spark plug for it. Has anybody tried those max comp spark plugs?

gone-ot 08-14-2012 12:39 PM

...if you have FUEL ECONOMY in mind, a set of OEM iridium plugs gapped slightly wider than spec is preferred; but, if you're after POWER, a fresh set of "colder" copper-core plugs, gapped somewhat narrower than spec, is better.

suspectnumber961 10-20-2012 08:09 PM

I've had good luck with some Autolite double plats...will be trying E3s eventually.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-21-2012 01:46 AM

I like Bosch spark plugs more than any other.

gone-ot 10-21-2012 12:13 PM

FWIW, E3's only seem to be "effective" in the older, carburetted engines, and "not so" much better in the newer, injected engines.

ksa8907 10-21-2012 03:02 PM

I prefer ngk platinums.

AaronMartinSole 11-11-2012 12:47 AM

I've heard of racers gapping spark plugs narrower to eek out a few horsepower. But why would a wider spark plug gap increase fuel economy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 321511)
...if you have FUEL ECONOMY in mind, a set of OEM iridium plugs gapped slightly wider than spec is preferred; but, if you're after POWER, a fresh set of "colder" copper-core plugs, gapped somewhat narrower than spec, is better.

wungun 11-11-2012 09:29 AM

And wider gap would MAYBE decrease spark strength...but with a longer spark, you're likely to ignite the mixture more reliably...

I think power and economy go hand in hand...If you can make more power, your engine is running more efficiently, and more efficiently, we'll....

I run copper plugs in my SVT with a slightly bigger gap. Ford coils are good and strong and can handle the extra gap.
Copper is a better conductor than all those rare metals...but wears faster.
Iridium is designed for long plug life, and are not the best electrical conductor.

serialk11r 11-11-2012 12:39 PM

A wider gap igniting the mixture more reliably? That seems odd, a wider gap reduces arc intensity, and since the electric field is weaker as the plug gets old perhaps or something, the spark would not be as reliable.

gone-ot 11-11-2012 12:39 PM

wungun nailed the answers.

A wider gap increases the arc LENGTH (and thus AREA) within the A/F mixture between the electrodes, which provides better 'chance' of ignition of lean A/F mixtures which are often NOT easy to ignite--it's called increased "probability of ignition"--the difference in probability between a single-bullet and a shotgun-blast "hitting" the bullseye center of a target.

A narrower gap decreases the arc LENGTH in favor of a slightly HOTTER and LONGER arc duration, but assumes the A/F is always rich-enough to ignite easily.