Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Choosing a Fuel Economy Transmission

This article will be technically geared towards the CRX and other Civic models from 1988-2000. However, the general implications of these changes are applicable to almost any make and model of car or truck. I will detail my own changes as well as cite a few cases of people who have done similar swaps, as well as give resources that will allow you to make your own decision on the matter. While I will be primarily discussing the transmission that will give you the best mileage, there are many forms your gearing can take to meet all of your goals.

First things first, what I did with my CRX. I began with an automatic and could barely squeeze 40 MPG out of it. Needless to say I was very frustrated with its performance. Not only did I hate the gas mileage, I hated the way it drove. So, I embarked on the mission to begin my auto to manual swap. That's a whole other ordeal, which I will discuss in a dedicated article, but suffice it to say that when I weighed my options I chose the most fuel efficient transmission I could. I wanted the most bang for my buck, and I got it; I picked the transmission up for free from a www.honda-tech.com member. In the end I've averaged ~51 MPG over my last two tanks with the stick shift, and I've loved every minute of it.

Tables are too annoying to import, so see the rest of the article here.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread