EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Big block heaters boiling & degrading coolant? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/big-block-heaters-boiling-degrading-coolant-33440.html)

Daox 02-03-2016 12:00 PM

Big block heaters boiling & degrading coolant?

So, earlier this winter I installed a 1kw block heater on the Metro. It is absolutely wonderful. 20 minutes of preheat and I jump into a car that is almost ready to blast my cold face with heat, and it doesn't idle high at all. I am really enjoying this modification.

However, I am also worried about it. When I go to unplug the heater in the morning, I can hear my coolant boiling in the heater itself. The heater is designed this way purposefully. Here is a quote from the installation manual.

Quote:

This unit operates on the principal of thermosyphoning. There is no mechanical pump contained in this unit. This unit boils the coolant and this action will move water from the top of the heater into the engine block and continue to circulate the coolant until it reaches a temperature of at least 150 degrees.
My question is, does boiling the coolant degrade it in any way? I know polypropylene glycol (used in solar hot water setups) is definitely degraded by getting too hot. I'm not sure about ethylene glycol (used in cars) though. Everything I looked up online was about cars overheating, not the effect on the coolant itself.

Daox 02-04-2016 09:25 AM

Bump, anyone?

t vago 02-04-2016 09:54 AM

Learning Coolant Fundamentals

Quote:

In general, coolants degrade over time as the ethylene glycol breaks down into primarily glycolic and formic acids. Degradation occurs more quickly in engines operating at higher temperatures or those that allow more air into cooling systems. The coolant should be tested on an annual basis if it is intended to operate the system for several years between coolant changes, and particularly where the coolant is used in severe applications.
I imagine that coolant boiling will mean that elevated temperatures exist right at the point where film boiling of the coolant occurs.

oil pan 4 02-04-2016 11:59 AM

Time will degrade the coolant more than using it.
If you are that worried about it plug in the coolant heater and circulate the coolant.
It has an electric coolant pump correct? If so then use it, or start the engine.

If the coolant pump is electric build your self a high voltage pump controller to automatically power the pump with external power like I have been working on.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ler-33118.html

I am going to run the 5500 watt coolant heater plus two 600 watt heaters and I am not worried about the coolant heaters effecting the coolant life at all.

Daox 02-04-2016 12:14 PM

The electric water pump is not yet installed on the Metro or I would definitely be using it during preheat. But, I also know others using this or a similar setup and brought this up for them as well.

Daox 02-16-2016 10:26 AM

I ended up emailing a few different manufacturers to see what they had to say about this issue. I'll let you guys know what they come back with.

markweatherill 02-16-2016 10:34 AM

Oh man! Boiling engine coolant is not a good thing. It will definitely degrade the coolant and I'd expect it would introduce air locks. It doesn't have to get that hot, does it? I mean for coolant in a pressurised system to actually boil.....!

Daox 02-16-2016 11:19 AM

Haha, so far I've gotten two replies from the manufacturers. Both of them have claimed that block heaters don't boil coolant and it shouldn't effect coolant life. I've replied to both with a link to the install manual that specifically states that it does in fact boil the coolant and that I can hear it boiling when its been plugged in for any length of time.

One of them did mention that elevated temperatures will reduce coolant life. I asked for further clarification as how that manifests itself.

Daox 02-16-2016 11:32 AM

First one back that didn't need clarification:

Quote:

High surface temperatures are normal within the engine, and to a much larger scale, so I don’t think you’d see much effect. I assume there would be a thermostat on the unit so it would cut off if above a set temperature, so that would limit the “on” time also. It is common for a vehicle to require a coolant change at 150,000 miles or 5 years, so I suppose it could cut into your mileage allowance slightly, but probably not significantly.

Daox 02-16-2016 12:27 PM

It seems the others don't want to believe me that its actually boiling the coolant. Here are the replies I've gotten.

Quote:

The temperatures produced by this heater will have no effect on coolant life.
Block heaters warm the engine coolant to approximately 180 ºF and do not boil the coolant.
To which I replied that it does boil the coolant, the manual says so and I can hear it boiling when I go to unplug it. Their reply:

Quote:

A 50/50 mix of coolant and water in a cooling system, will not boil until it reaches temperatures above 260 ºF.

The temperatures produced by the heater will not effect coolant life.

Here is the reply from the other.

Quote:

Typically, a heater of this nature will warm the coolant to roughly 160°F-180°F, which is colder than normal operating temperature range of an engine. The coolant should not be "boiling" at this temperature. Your engine will typically operate around 210°F, which would be the normal temperature for your coolant to be. As temperature rises, the life span of the coolant will begin to shorten.
To which I also replied with a link and quote to the install manual saying it does boil and I can hear it boiling. Their reply:

Quote:

The 150°F temp will not degrade coolant in any way as this is colder than what the engine itself would heat the coolant to. The engine should heat the coolant anywhere between 200°-225°F, which is normal operating temperature for both gas and diesel engines. There is no degrading to the formula at these temperatures.

So... yeah, not very helpful.

Perhaps a video where you can hear it boiling is in order.

Andrei_ierdnA 02-16-2016 12:51 PM

I have a suggestion if you cannot get to the bottom of this dilemma:

* sell your large 1kW block heater and with that money buy a small block heater 125-250 W.

So instead of heating your coolant in 20 min and having a localized boiling point, you will have to plug into a timer and let it heat the coolant for several hours overnight. Same end result, same electricity cost, but with a lower and more gradual heating of the coolant and without any localized boiling.

Daox 02-16-2016 12:56 PM

Thanks for the idea Andrei. That is definitely a possible and good solution.

For me, I have in the works an electric water pump which I'll be able to turn on when I plug in the block heater. Circulating the coolant should prevent the coolant from boiling inside the heater. This will be done either way as its one of my next mods to do to the car. But, I also wanted to gather info for myself on use with other vehicles and for other ecomodders on this topic.

oil pan 4 02-16-2016 04:30 PM

I have already tried this.
A low wattage block heater uses a lot more power to reach the same temperature as the large one.

My 3500 watt coolant heater can raise the temperature of the coolant in the engine from freezing to 75'F in 20 minutes, using just over 1kwh.
To get the same effect with a 600 watt block heater you have to leave it plugged in for hours to get the same results. Any more than 2 hours and you are at 1.2kwh.
To warm the coolant by 40'F with the smaller heater it takes around 3 to 4 hours if it can even raise the temperature 40'F. That adds up to a lot more than 1kwh.
So in the case of coolant heaters more is actually less.
That is why with the suburban engine is going to have the 5500 watt coolant heater plus two 600 watt heaters. The faster you can heat the coolant the less heat you loose to your surrounding environment.

Then even if you go to a lower wattage heating element the heating elements just get smaller. So the surface of the heating element likely gets just as hot. My 400 watt coolant heater is slightly smaller than the 600 watt elements I typically use, the newer 1,000 and 1,100 watt up grade heaters are about double the size of the 600.
The only way to get a lower heating element surface temperature is get a very large heating element such as a 1000 watt 120v element and run it on a varrac and dial the wattage down to what ever you would like to see it run at.
Or get a 240 volt heater and run it at 120 volts.

Andrei_ierdnA 02-16-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 507448)
I have already tried this.
A low wattage block heater uses a lot more power to reach the same temperature as the large one.

Indeed, you are totally right. With a small heater the rate of heat gain is considerably affected by the rate of heat loss to the surrounding freezing environment, making the overall duration much longer and resulting in more electricity/power used.
The electric water pump is probably the best solution.
Doax, can you share the pump power (W)? It should be fairly low power, so negligible running costs, right?

I'm very interested in your findings about the coolant life expectancy given the localized boiling, although based on the manufacturers' responses so far, we may never know the truth.

I'm assuming anyone using a grille block will also run into a similar situation, making coolant fluid changes needed sooner than scheduled, right?

Ryland 02-16-2016 09:26 PM

Test it and find out.
You know that it turns acidic as it breaks down and I'm sure you have a few drops of fresh coolant to test to get a base number, and maybe a friends car to compare.
So go to the drug store and get a box of ph test strips.

Daox 02-17-2016 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did measure the outlet temperature this morning. Ambient temp was about 9F out. I had it plugged in for roughly 20 minutes. I could hear it boiling as I shot the picture below. But, low and behold, the outlet temp was...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1455716002

I moved the IR temperature gun all around and 160F was the highest I saw.

But, I can hear it boiling! It sounds just like boiling water on a stove top, and the manual says it boils it too... So, now I'm confused haha. :confused: Any ideas?

Daox 02-17-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrei_ierdnA (Post 507453)
Doax, can you share the pump power (W)? It should be fairly low power, so negligible running costs, right?

I don't have power consumption numbers yet. My next step is to put the motor in and test it. My thread on it is here:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eap-29896.html

Quote:

I'm assuming anyone using a grille block will also run into a similar situation, making coolant fluid changes needed sooner than scheduled, right?
I disagree with this. A grill block shouldn't increase operating temperatures of the engine. The coolant temperature should still be thermostatically controlled via the thermostat. You should definitely get up to temperature quicker with a grill block, but you should not sustain higher temperatures once maximum operating temperature is reached. If you are, your grill block is too big. However, I've run full grill blocks on a couple vehicles and I've never had a problem with this. My radiator fan will kick on and cool things down even with a full grill block in place. However, if your fan was to fail you would definitely have problems.

RedDevil 02-17-2016 09:23 AM

I bet it boils like a portable electric water boiler does.

Soon after you flip the switch they start making a rumbling noise, caused by tiny bubbles of steam expanding on the heater plate and collapsing when they break loose and rise in the colder water above.
When that gets hotter the bubbles grow bigger and collapse more slowly, making the sound drop in pitch and intensity - until the bubbles reach the surface when it is done.

When you look inside a boiler when the water is still cold you can't even see the bubbles that are making all the noise; they are that small.

Your heater is operating in the same phase as a cold filled electric water heater.
Only a very small amount of coolant gets converted to steam (and back to fluid when it breaks free of the heater core).
Therefore I think degradation is not much of an issue.

Daox 02-19-2016 02:59 PM

One more reply. This guy actually seems to care:

Quote:

In order to answer your question, I would need to know the approximate temperature to which the coolant is being heated. Heating the coolant above the standard operating temperature of an internal combustion engine (roughly 200°F) will cause the coolant to degrade more rapidly than it would normally. Please let me know if you require anything further.
So, I replied telling him the outlet temp is ~160F, but I can hear it boiling. I think the boiling is localized to the heating element itself.

I'll update as I get more info.

oil pan 4 02-19-2016 05:48 PM

Forced circulation will further reduce the level of hissing, crackling and popping you hear as compared to natural convection.

When I turn the electric coolant pump on in my diesel the 600w heaters get noticeably quieter.

ksa8907 02-19-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrei_ierdnA (Post 507424)
I have a suggestion if you cannot get to the bottom of this dilemma:

* sell your large 1kW block heater and with that money buy a small block heater 125-250 W.

So instead of heating your coolant in 20 min and having a localized boiling point, you will have to plug into a timer and let it heat the coolant for several hours overnight. Same end result, same electricity cost, but with a lower and more gradual heating of the coolant and without any localized boiling.

Just an fyi to the OP and anyone else curious. I have an OEM 400w heater in my car on a timer that turns on at midnight and off at 6:30. I park in an uninsulated and unheated garage and the car is between 85 and 100 degrees when i leave. Within 2 minutes of cranking and 1 mile down the road it will be about 150 to 160. If the temps drop to around 0°F, it only gets to around 140 in that time.

Daox 02-24-2016 02:49 PM

Here is the reply from the previous post. The answer seems quite reasonable.

Quote:

It is pretty much impossible for us to answer your question conclusively, simply because we have not done the product testing necessary to determine the answer; all of our product testing is conducted to determine how our product performs in an automotive cooling system.

Having said that, the scenario you describe is not all that dissimlar from what takes place in an automotive cooling system, where the cooling passages in the cylinder head are directly adjacent to combustion chambers that see temperatures in the neighborhood of 600°F. The only recommendation I can make is to monitor the system as best you can, try to inspect the fluid every couple of months to see if any sediment or corrosion is evident in the fluid. If the boiler is turning on and off around the clock, you may wish to change the fluid every 3 years instead of 5, since that service life is based on a car that is only driven for a couple of hours a day rather than constantly.

Ryland 02-25-2016 10:01 PM

Why not just do a ph test to decide when to change coolent?

Daox 02-26-2016 08:29 AM

I will after a while. I was just trying to collect some info from the experts. The block heater has only been installed for about 3 months now. Come spring/summer I'll probably test it.