EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Big V8, Dead little Honda (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/big-v8-dead-little-honda-25642.html)

JETZcorp 04-24-2013 03:37 AM

Big V8, Dead little Honda

Hey guys. Been a minor lurker for a while but just decided to join now that I actually intend to do something about my FE.

As noted in my garage, I've got two vehicles. The first is a Dakota R/T, which is a vehicle famous ONLY for its supreme lack of efficiency. The engine is of a family introduced in 1964, as a major revision to the engine that Chrysler used in the '50s (remember Christine? Yeah, that motor). It also happens to be the largest version of that motor the factory made. It's hooked up to the least-efficient transmission Chrysler has ever produced, with a rear-end ratio made for drag racing. The ECU is about as intelligent as a garden hose, and moves gasoline in the appropriate quantities. And, although it's a small truck, the frame alone weighs almost as much as a Honda CRX. I drive 50mi a day, and because of the stunning reliability of my Honda CRX, the Dakota is my daily driver. I buy a lot of gas.

The Honda was, admittedly, a stupid purchase. I purchased it so that I could stop pouring gold into the Dakota's gas tank, and focus on using that money to upgrade the truck for power and handling and all that other speed freak stuff. During my test drive, I neglected to notice that it was running on three cylinders. It was very slow, which I thought was normal for a Honda. After it stopped running entirely, we removed the head and discovered that it was running on 15.5 valves. While it was running, I could get about 32mpg out of it, which in-context, I'm impressed with. This car is the main reason I'm joining here. The poor thing needs a rebuilt. I'll probably want to create a new thread detailing my ideas and questions on that, or else this is going to be a huge thread.

Gone, but not forgotten, is Windy. The only 2003 Ford Windstar that anybody ever loved. When you were off the throttle, it burned zero gas. When you were on the throttle, it burned more gas than anything Boeing has ever thought of producing.

MetroMPG 04-24-2013 10:27 AM

That's one of the most entertaining intro's I've read in a long time! Nicely written -- thanks for the chuckle!

There's lots of Honda expertise here, so if you have questions, hopefully you'll get that sorted out a.s.a.p.

Welcome to the forum!

justme1969 04-24-2013 11:47 AM

Hello I started to think I wrote your plug lol.
exactly same here have R/T and broken honda.
My hondo is a 03? and died sudden death when trans slipped on hiway climbing hill and then grabbed violently jumping the timing and bending valves.
Ive explained to others how horrible the R/t is on fuel but it is hard to fully believe.
There are some things that can be done but If you love the performance of a drag truck dont bother "take money and get second car fixed".
Ive got a thread somewhere here about the r/t mods ive done but when gas goes back up it is just no good except pulling hauling and destroying new trucks at the light.

War_Wagon 04-24-2013 01:23 PM

Welcome to the site, always good to see another old Honda here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JETZcorp (Post 368014)
During my test drive, I neglected to notice that it was running on three cylinders.

Have I ever got the Tercel for you my friend! Step into the office here and we can work out a payment plan! ha ha :snail:

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-25-2013 04:59 AM

If you were looking for fuel-efficiency for the Dakota, I could advice you to get a Diesel engine swap. Regarding the CRX, what are you considering to do?

JETZcorp 04-25-2013 04:32 PM

I can safely say I'm not looking for any fuel economy in the Dakota. My intention is to get it to be roughly as fast as a 2011 Mustang GT. I'd be happy with 12mpg on The Hog, but mileage will probably get better as the engine is built up, because I'm not a big fan of the fat nasty cams with epic overlap that are often the reason for muscle cars doing 8mpg when they could be doing 15.

As for the Honda, I have two ideas. I'm going to rebuild the motor, but I want to replace stock D15B2 components with either the D15B6 (CRX HF) equipment, or D15Z1 (Civic VX) stuff. I think the Z1 would yield better results, but the B2 would probably be a lot easier, particularly on the electronics end of things. But I'm still not sure which way I want to go. Either way, I'm probably going to want to add some compression, and I'm considering some other tricks. Aero work on the crank, basic porting, and maybe even something like powre lynz if I really feel like adventuring into the unknown. This will be my first engine rebuild, so a lot of that stuff is pretty intimidating.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-26-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JETZcorp (Post 368245)
I can safely say I'm not looking for any fuel economy in the Dakota. My intention is to get it to be roughly as fast as a 2011 Mustang GT. I'd be happy with 12mpg on The Hog, but mileage will probably get better as the engine is built up, because I'm not a big fan of the fat nasty cams with epic overlap that are often the reason for muscle cars doing 8mpg when they could be doing 15.

The right cam selection can do miracles for performance, leading to some fuel-savings too :thumbup:

JETZcorp 05-14-2013 05:16 AM

[This post got really long and interesting so I made it its own thread]

Frank Lee 05-14-2013 05:36 AM

Gee, recent posts try to lead me to believe that Hondas represent the pinnacle of reliability and longevity. :confused: :rolleyes:

Levi 05-21-2013 06:25 AM

Nice !