Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Buell XB12X - '06 Buell XB12X
90 day: 49.02 mpg (US)

Grand Cherokee WH - '06 Jeep Grand Cherokee WH (WK Export)
90 day: 15.46 mpg (US)

Honda CRV RD - '05 Honda CR-V 4WD Sport
90 day: 24.44 mpg (US)
Friendly reminder to stay careful cycling on the road

Well I thought it's only fair to post this, as a reminder, keep things in perspective and what-not.

I was hit by a car while cycling to work about 3 weeks ago.
I wont go into the details unless someone asks, but basicly I was going straight through a 4-way intersection and a car coming the opposite direction turned at the intersection, not seeing me at all the driver was just 'aiming' for a gap between the vehicles in front and behind me (which is legal, assuming there's not a cyclist in the way hahaha).
The car hit clean on my right leg doing maybe 30km/hr. I had only just clipped into the pedals and moving very slowly (lights only just turned green).

Damage was clean fracture of tibia and fibula, some bruises, knock on the jaw and slightly bent bike. I haven't seen the bike yet, but I hear it looks quite cool hahaha.

This is a common cyclist-crash scenario (traffic light'd intersections).
The solution our road authority has in aus is two 'stopping lines' at intersections.
One line for cyclists to stop at, ahead of all other traffic, then another line about 1 metre back for other vehicles to stop at.
So at red lights, cyclists are expected to ride through traffic and stop at the front, thus easily visible to everyone at the intersection while not moving, etc.

This particular intersection only has 1 stopping line, and no cycle lane.
I usually still ride to the front and stop in the space pedestrians cross at.
But this time a bus had rolled further into the intersection, leaving no room for me in front.
So I stopped behind the bus - a long way behind (maybe 6 metres), and I waited until the bus went through the intersection before I started moving... trying to avoid the _exact_ accident which ended up happening.

I'll definitely be straight back on the bike. If anything this has made me even less inclined to drive a car, and even more driven to promote alternative transport.

Oh some other things. I was wearing a muscle compression suit AKA "skin suit", and a soft 'cammelback' backpack (with the water bladder on it, which I never actually drink from).
The paramedics told me that these were both good things; the compression suit protected me well from abrasion (I had no grazes at all, despite sliding and tumbling a couple of metres), applied pressure to where the leg broke, kept wound clean, kept me warm until they got there, and generally helped blood circulation.
The cammelback type backpacks apparently do a good job of ad-lib spine protection.

So they might be worthwhile (albiet quite negative) incentives to purchase those things hahaha.

So, yeah. Just thought I'd post my little story to give other cyclists something to think about

Usually when things like this happen, I try to re-think what I'm doing to try to avoid it happening again. But I'm not so sure this time.

Anyhoo, I'm in good spirits

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Yeah, my team kit has saved me from some wicked road rash. It's amazing how much it really keeps you not bloody.

In general...that sucks about the crash. I always worry about those scenarios and do exactly what you do riding up to the light, though I agree, drivers turning right or such can block you from common view.

So let's just be alert drivers!

Reply  Post New Thread