EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Bioplastic from banana peels (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/bioplastic-banana-peels-26911.html)

jeff88 09-11-2013 12:22 AM

Bioplastic from banana peels

Elif Bilgin

I thought this was pretty interesting, not just for the eco-friendly aspect, but also because this girl is only 16. Pretty amazing.

Elif Bilgin has developed a way to turn historically thrown away banana peels into plastic. If we could only do this with our other wasted resources. (Cough cough, corn)

Xist 09-11-2013 12:36 AM

Very interesting. I also liked the peltier flashlight, although I think that would be expensive.

jeff88 09-11-2013 02:04 AM

Yeah, that one is a pretty cool idea, too. I think I've seen that one before, on Colbert Report or Daily Show or something.

Xist 09-11-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff88 (Post 389902)
Yeah, that one is a pretty cool idea, too. I think I've seen that one before, on Colbert Report or Daily Show or something.

I once used a flashlight a that I powered by squeezing a trigger. After that, I was happy to purchase batteries. I even knew where to recycle them!

Even here in Arizona, if you need a flashlight, there should almost always be a nine-degree differential between ambient temperature and my hand.

She used Celsius. I don't. :)

jamesqf 09-11-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 389955)
I once used a flashlight a that I powered by squeezing a trigger. After that, I was happy to purchase batteries. I even knew where to recycle them!

Or you could just buy rechargable batteries. As for flashlights, why? Unless you're a cop/cop wannabe for whom it doubles as a club, the LED lights on a headband are SO much handier. And for Peltier effect, your head does give off more heat than your hands.

Xist 09-11-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 389975)
Or you could just buy rechargable batteries. As for flashlights, why? Unless you're a cop/cop wannabe for whom it doubles as a club, the LED lights on a headband are SO much handier. And for Peltier effect, your head does give off more heat than your hands.

This was in Afghanistan. :D

I have bought one or two... head...lights...

I could not have replaced the alternator in my Accord without one. It was weird, it had one giant LED. Where I spent most of my deployment, we needed flashlights just to walk around at night. Ones for the head were popular, I just did not have one, while we were issued Mag Lites, I just would not purchase the batteries. I remember seeing a Sergeant talk to a Captain at night and he still had his light on. I thought that it must have been irritating for the Officer.

I have bought a few battery chargers. Rechargeables might not work as well as a constant stream of new batteries, but it costs less and is better for the environment.

As for the peltier effect, the head needs to maintain heat much more than the head needs hands, and if you are dressed for the cold, I do not know how much heat your gloves would give off, while I would want to integrate my light into my hat.

euromodder 09-11-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 389988)
This was in Afghanistan. :D

Where I spent most of my deployment, we needed flashlights just to walk around at night. Ones for the head were popular

Great aiming point ...

Xist 09-11-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 390015)
Great aiming point ...

Heh. We were supposed to use colored lights. I do not know how much of a difference that would make.

Look at me! I am back on-topic! :D

So, this forum is populated almost exclusively by men, seventeen and up. Wasn't that article about three girls and zero boys? (I cannot get it to load anymore...)

HydroJim, be a role model! :D