EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Blank slate (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/blank-slate-33275.html)

GK13 12-28-2015 08:23 PM

Blank slate

So, I just picked up the 2016 Scion tC and am itching for better gas mileage. It stays dead true to the maximum of 31 mpg. I really want to know what I can do to it to boost mpg. It's brand spanking new so no fuel system cleaners, or anything like that. I usually over inflate the tires on my motorcycles and that helps mpg, but I was advised not to with the car as it could make the tires more round and could be dangerous. I am open to learning everything and anything since this is my very first car. Thanks!!!

gone-ot 12-28-2015 09:01 PM

Air the tires UP to 40 psi (but don't exceed max rating).

GK13 12-28-2015 09:14 PM

Plakard says 32 front and 35 rear. Tires rated to 55

secaturbo 12-28-2015 09:49 PM

If tire rating is 55psi I would run 60...But would never recommend you do that.
I have 44psi on my sidewall and run 55-60

Not sure of your background but your driving style is most important thing right now to MPG. Look up Wayne Gerdes at Clean MPG lots of teaching, here's a similar question on your car
Optimal Acceleration and Coast Speed for Scion tC | CleanMPG

BabyDiesel 12-28-2015 09:57 PM

I would go with the first two I began using: Airing your tires to max sidewall and coasting to stop signs, stop lights, down hills... pretty much any chance you can get!

I want to say these 2 boosted my mpgs from 34 to 41 IIRC. As always, YMMV ;)

redneck 12-29-2015 05:11 AM

Get a Scan gauge or Ultra gauge. You need "real time" driver feedback to maximize mpg.

Read.

100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

and

65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

Also, check the garage and see what mpg others have got with the same vehicle model and what modifications if any they are using.

EcoModder Fleet list - EcoModder.com

:)

>

GK13 12-29-2015 12:09 PM

So I just read through those two links. Pretty much a lot of what I've always done. My car has an eco light and I try to keep that on 99% of the time. It also has an mpg read out. Do I still need a scan gauge? I'll try the shifting into neutral when coasting or stopped. Also, if my Eco light is on with the cruise control on, is it still just not as fuel efficient as keeping my foot steady? The car is also smoother with it on. Idk why.

NeilBlanchard 12-29-2015 12:35 PM

A fixed throttle position is better than a fixed speed.

A grill block is very inexpensive. I had a Scion xA (much different aero that your tC). Do you have a manual, or automatic?

GK13 12-29-2015 12:37 PM

Not sure how I would do a grill block? Idk of you could look at a picture of the grill and give me ideas? And it's a shiftable automatic.