Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Isn't "62) Parking tactics: orbit to bleed momentum" stat fluffing?

I fail to see how coasting around your parking spot actually teaches you to raise your FE. It seems to be more about increasing your status as a hypermiler by getting a higher MPG figure, than actually getting practical FE. I understand it might be part of getting competitive about the FE game, but it seems to be a vestigial parlor trick.

Could somebody explain this better, so I might understand the function better?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I don't do this. But I do sometimes continue coasting toward a closer spot or a higher spot when I have too much momentum left over. At that point I'm looking for a better way to start out when I return to the car. Coasting down a hill in the lot and bump starting saves starter motor usage, and therefore fuel. But I think you have it correct otherwise... mostly... there is a value I guess to practicing that sort of planning, because you need it in all sorts of hypermiling techniques and it is not part of normies' driving styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGranger View Post
I fail to see how coasting around your parking spot actually teaches you to raise your FE. It seems to be more about increasing your status as a hypermiler by getting a higher MPG figure, than actually getting practical FE. I understand it might be part of getting competitive about the FE game, but it seems to be a vestigial parlor trick.

Could somebody explain this better, so I might understand the function better?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
It's along the same lines as not starting your car until you want to start moving by putting on your seat belt first, adjusting your mirrors and if you are on a slope then start coasting before you ever start the car, coasting in to a parking spot is the same idea, you are done using the gas engine so turn it off, to take it to the other extreme you could leave the engine running while you come to a stop, pull the hand brake, undo your seat belt, gather your stuff together then shut the engine off.
Bottom line is, your gas engine is there to do work and if you are not asking it to do work then why have it run? it's the main reason I really like my electric car, you only draw energy from the batteries while asking it to go.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
He's not talking about coasting into a spot; he's talking about orbiting 'round and 'round to bleed off excess inertia, instead of simply braking, the purpose being to rack up more miles/gallon which is useless outside of competition.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
you know, if your doing all thefirst 61 items on the list.... we can let it slide if you con't agree with this one......

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 09-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Maybe it's because I won't turn my engine off while coasting, moving without having power freaks me out still. But bleeding momentum, seems like you would spend more gas with the engine idling than just pulling into the spot and turning off the car.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
He's not talking about coasting into a spot; he's talking about orbiting 'round and 'round to bleed off excess inertia, instead of simply braking, the purpose being to rack up more miles/gallon which is useless outside of competition.
Yup. But you'd get a little practice with judging the distance the car will roll before stoping, and over time such a practice saves something in terms of brake pads!

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread