Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mpg_numbers_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Michigan/Virginia
Posts: 1,012

Insight - '06 Honda Insight MT
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 99.33 mpg (US)

Mom's Prius (my driving) - '08 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.72 mpg (US)

Insight Delivery Driving Log - '06 Honda Insight MT
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 84.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 237
Thanked 300 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Anyway, on another note, it looks like the Torque app has had something potentially useful added to it with fuel consumption reporting. The value reported is completely wrong, but it does accumulate a long term average which settled at 17.8 for the recent test. Given the 40.8 MPG actual measured fill, I can probably safely change the displacement in the settings for a more accurate idea of the extended consumption for each trip as quick way to compare without stopping to fuel up.
I found that the Torque app doesn't seem to count any mileage over 100 MPG in their long term trip average. For example, suppose you were going downhill and the readout said 99 MPG instantaneous, Torque would factor that into the trip log, while if you got over 100 MPG going downhill, it would not factor that in.

The long term average is very inaccurate too. You'd probably have to do an even 50% city 50% highway split to get it even, since it overestimates city FE and underestimates highway FE.

In my Civic, Torque said my best city FE trip was 71 MPG when it was really upper 50s, and said my best highway trip was 49.1 when it really was 60 - calculated over 300 miles.

__________________
2006 New Formula Red Honda Insight MT, 265k: (Build thread)
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-20-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, OR, USA
Posts: 237

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 38
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Those massive wheels are also costing range
If you ever have one off the car, please weigh it, I fear it's gonna be pretty heavy even if it looks airy.

The large diameter / small width helps, but the weight works against you
They are actually remarkably light weight. BMW made the profile of the spokes surprisingly thin and very flat on the back side. I wouldn't guess the wheel and tire combo is much over 35 lbs. total. I don't believe I am likely to gain much with wheel discs, but obviously I am going to try. Fairing the rear wheels however is another story. Probably lots of cleanup possible there.

I'll be removing them again soon and will check.
__________________
2015 BMW i3 REx
2011 Ford Flex SEL AWD
2002 Miata SE
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snax For This Useful Post:
euromodder (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 08:16 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, OR, USA
Posts: 237

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 38
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
I found that the Torque app doesn't seem to count any mileage over 100 MPG in their long term trip average. For example, suppose you were going downhill and the readout said 99 MPG instantaneous, Torque would factor that into the trip log, while if you got over 100 MPG going downhill, it would not factor that in.

The long term average is very inaccurate too. You'd probably have to do an even 50% city 50% highway split to get it even, since it overestimates city FE and underestimates highway FE.

In my Civic, Torque said my best city FE trip was 71 MPG when it was really upper 50s, and said my best highway trip was 49.1 when it really was 60 - calculated over 300 miles.
Definitely going to take it with a grain of salt. I did notice yesterday that with the range extender totally off, the app was reporting 255 MPG without the correction for displacement while moving, and it dropped to 0 MPG while stopped. Whether that counts toward the average or not I did not notice. I haven't driven with it corrected yet, but that shouldn't skew things too badly overall for collecting data in motion anyway.

I have to wonder if the accuracy of it is more dependent on the individual vehicle ECU.
__________________
2015 BMW i3 REx
2011 Ford Flex SEL AWD
2002 Miata SE
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mpg_numbers_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Michigan/Virginia
Posts: 1,012

Insight - '06 Honda Insight MT
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 99.33 mpg (US)

Mom's Prius (my driving) - '08 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.72 mpg (US)

Insight Delivery Driving Log - '06 Honda Insight MT
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 84.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 237
Thanked 300 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Definitely going to take it with a grain of salt. I did notice yesterday that with the range extender totally off, the app was reporting 255 MPG without the correction for displacement while moving, and it dropped to 0 MPG while stopped. Whether that counts toward the average or not I did not notice. I haven't driven with it corrected yet, but that shouldn't skew things too badly overall for collecting data in motion anyway.

I have to wonder if the accuracy of it is more dependent on the individual vehicle ECU.
IIRC 255 is the highest that the instantaneous readout will display. As far as I know it won't be consistently factored in on the average due to being over 100 MPG. It may work differently on different ECUs; I haven't been able to verify that.

Maybe I missed it earlier, but doesn't your car have built in efficiency instrumentation? If so, those are typically much more accurate, and if not, a Scangauge is much more accurate and doesn't cost all that much when you think of it long term.
__________________
2006 New Formula Red Honda Insight MT, 265k: (Build thread)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #55 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,422

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
90 day: 55.15 mpg (US)
Thanks: 142
Thanked 1,191 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
They are actually remarkably light weight. BMW made the profile of the spokes surprisingly thin and very flat on the back side. I wouldn't guess the wheel and tire combo is much over 35 lbs. total. I don't believe I am likely to gain much with wheel discs, but obviously I am going to try. Fairing the rear wheels however is another story. Probably lots of cleanup possible there.

I'll be removing them again soon and will check.
I can't find data for the 20", but this Jalopnik article reports BMW said the 19" would be 15 lbs before production started. With the tire weights listed at tirerack.com, that would make 31 lbs front/33 lbs rear.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
Snax (07-21-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 01:23 AM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, OR, USA
Posts: 237

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 38
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Mirror delete mostly complete! (I just need to fine tune the trim a bit.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirrorless Closeup Side.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	26479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirrorless Front.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	26480  
__________________
2015 BMW i3 REx
2011 Ford Flex SEL AWD
2002 Miata SE

Last edited by Snax; 07-23-2019 at 12:31 AM..
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snax For This Useful Post:
woodstock74 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, OR, USA
Posts: 237

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 38
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Thoughts on how to finish the rear of the skirt?

I haven't tuft tested anything for lack of a camera or other easy means, but I am confident of 100% separation behind the rear wheels. Assuming no boat tail, would it be best to leave it open like that and just brace it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190722_131919.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	26481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190722_132348.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	26482  
__________________
2015 BMW i3 REx
2011 Ford Flex SEL AWD
2002 Miata SE

Last edited by Snax; 07-23-2019 at 12:33 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mpg_numbers_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Michigan/Virginia
Posts: 1,012

Insight - '06 Honda Insight MT
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 99.33 mpg (US)

Mom's Prius (my driving) - '08 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.72 mpg (US)

Insight Delivery Driving Log - '06 Honda Insight MT
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 84.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 237
Thanked 300 Times in 235 Posts
Images don't display on my end.
__________________
2006 New Formula Red Honda Insight MT, 265k: (Build thread)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:34 AM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eugene, OR, USA
Posts: 237

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Thanks: 38
Thanked 74 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Images don't display on my end.
Okay, fixed I think.
__________________
2015 BMW i3 REx
2011 Ford Flex SEL AWD
2002 Miata SE
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #60 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 5,195

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,843
Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,050 Posts
That angle is too sharp to taper effectively, and you don't want to be building some sort of boat tail extension I've heard you say. Seems like your best option is to taper the trailing Edge of the wheel well skirt a little and create a box cavity like separation point at the tail end of the car.

__________________


See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com