EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   BMW Steps Up Luxury Fuel Efficiency Game with 57 MPG Diesel 3-Series (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/bmw-steps-up-luxury-fuel-efficiency-game-57-a-9842.html)

SVOboy 08-26-2009 11:30 AM

BMW Steps Up Luxury Fuel Efficiency Game with 57 MPG Diesel 3-Series

Luxury brands from across the globe have been working hard to offer fuel efficiency and and low emissions without compromising the creature comforts that define the luxury segment. Not only will efficient vehicles quiet some of critics of luxury brands, but they will help keep the American and European regulators from levying heavy fines on [...] Related posts:
  1. One Global Emissions and Efficiency Regulation to Rule Them All
  2. Audi Cross-Country Rally Touts Diesel Economy
  3. Why Diesel is Not Going to be a Hit in Japan Anytime Soon

More...

MetroMPG 08-26-2009 11:36 AM

BMW is also claiming a 0.26 drag coefficient for this car through subtle aero tweaks:

- lowered ride height
- more aero friendly wheels

... and probably a few other things that aren't mentioned in the official press release I've seen.

jkp1187 08-26-2009 02:46 PM

Looks great. Of course, not available in the USA. :mad:

RH77 08-26-2009 10:13 PM

Patiently waiting for America to cure its self-imposed case of Dieselphobia...

RH77

still waiting...

:turtle:

MetroMPG 08-26-2009 10:51 PM

Buy a Jetta TDI and send BMW a message!

roflwaffle 08-26-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 123942)
BMW is also claiming a 0.26 drag coefficient for this car through subtle aero tweaks:

- lowered ride height
- more aero friendly wheels

... and probably a few other things that aren't mentioned in the official press release I've seen.

This is cool! It sounds like a bunch of small diffusers in the front directing air through the wheel wells so flow doesn't separate there.
Quote:

Air curtain

The big aerodynamic step forward for the 2011 3-series is the ‘Air Curtain’. This uses narrow, upright intakes in the lower bumper which channel air through the bumper and out of a slot inside the front of the wheel well.

As it exits the wheel well, this high-speed airflow runs across the face of the wheel, creating what is in effect a ‘curtain’ over the wheel face.

Smoothing the turbulent flow across this part of the car helps reduce the Cd of a 5-series from 0.28 to 0.27.

RH77 08-27-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 124077)

I drove a Golf TDi in 2003-ish and nearly bought it, but the running cost and reliability killed the deal (Synth oil, timing belt, curse of Bosch, etc.) The Jetta gives me the same impression. I still have $$$ concerns with long-term ownership of BMW and Mercedes. It would make a good TSX upgrade as the family cruiser...

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 124100)
This is cool! It sounds like a bunch of small diffusers in the front directing air through the wheel wells so flow doesn't separate there.

I agree. I'm already thinking of how to implement it. A closer look is required :cool:

RH77

tjts1 08-27-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 124077)

I would rather chew my own arm off. BMW brought a diesel to america. 2 in fact but they're the wrong ones.

jkp1187 08-27-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 124119)
I would rather chew my own arm off. BMW brought a diesel to america. 2 in fact but they're the wrong ones.

I agree. (Well, not the part about chewing one's own arm off, I didn't quite get that. But I agree with the bit about the 'wrong' diesel.) The problem was that they wanted to run a diesel in the X5. Because of the tortuously expensive process to certify diesel engines for sale in the USA (thanks, CARB!) BMW decided to only bring one engine, so it had to do double duty in both the 3-series and the X5.

The 4-cyl turbodiesel from the 123d coupe/hatchback sold in Europe seems to be tailor-made for America's fascination with 0-60 times, while still providing great fuel economy. But they couldn't re-purpose it for use in the X5, so they didn't bring it. Also, BMW USA is a bit gun-shy about 4-cylinder engines after their last one (the 318ti) didn't do so well in the marketplace.

As for the VW.... I was strongly considering a VW/Audi TDI for our next car, because I think they drive great and are very practical, but it seems that every time I screw up my courage and say that VW has really improved their reliability, they save me from myself with a story like this one:

VW DSG Transmission Problem Leads to Recall - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com