EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Bolt on fuel saving device and mechanical cruise control (throttle stop w/ override) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/bolt-fuel-saving-device-mechanical-cruise-control-throttle-30300.html)

Maco 10-22-2014 01:35 PM

Bolt on fuel saving device and mechanical cruise control (throttle stop w/ override)

Please add this to the list as it cuts fuel consumption by 20%
I am the designer and manufacturer of this fuel saving device, it is very simple to install and adds up to 100 miles per tank depending on the vehicle. It is also a simple mechanical cruise control which can be used in town as its fully automatic and always activated.

See it in action here :thumbup:
youtube.com/watch?v=uez1XvX_5gI[/url]
And here is the Lab Test
youtube.com/watch?v=zccN6KHpmJs[/url]

MetroMPG 10-22-2014 01:43 PM

Hi Maco -

No need to spam multiple threads in the forum. I'm deleting your other posts, and have moved your topic to this dedicated thread.

EDIT: website link...

http://fuelsavingdevice.webs.com/

Let the discussion begin.

Maco 10-22-2014 02:19 PM

Oh OK cool thanks for your help

MetroMPG 10-22-2014 02:30 PM

I once drove an 80's Datsun 280z that had a similar set-up from the factory: a "dual spring" accelerator. But I think it was intended more as a "power mode" feature. You had to push fairly hard on the pedal when the 2nd spring came into play.

Xist 10-22-2014 02:42 PM

You linked the video, but not your site, which is weird.

Quote:

It reduces your fuel bill by ± 20%
I really think that you wanted to say "It reduces your fuel bill by ≥ 20%." Also, your video states at 1:12 "The vehicle in the video is a diesel Hyundai H100 truck, initial range was 450km per tank now the range is 550km per tank. That is a 122% improvement."

550 / 450 = 122%. However, 100% is the baseline, so it is a 22% improvement, which is more or less what you state elsewhere.

Effectively, you state that this forces the driver to maintain the speed limit while they would use 20% more fuel speeding. Here is a MPH vs. MPG chart:
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/195542/f...=1413998746878
Prius v Versus Ford C-Max Hybrid: Comparing Real-World Fuel Economy

According to that chart, slowing from 70 MPH to 65 increases fuel economy by 13% and dropping from 70 to 60 improves MPG by 24%, so driving 10% slower results in ≈ 20% improvement.

Quote:

Research by one of the major car manufacturers has shown that driver behaviour influences fuel usage by up to 30%.
Guys? :)

http://imageprocessor.websimages.com...20FSD%2001.jpg

So, this is a rev limiter? I remember a suggestion on here about installing a block under the gas pedal in the wife's car. Yes, not speeding saves money, but I believe the common consensus on these forums is that accelerating at a greater percentage of Wide Open Throttle uses less fuel than accelerating slower, and then you spend a longer time at your driving speed.

ksa8907 10-22-2014 02:47 PM

If I understand this correctly, the device modifies pedal travel? Is this more of a nanny device that helps unskilled/ inattentive drivers?

My sister-in-laws parents had a buick lesabre with a peice of 3/4 plywood under the pedal. I didn't find out about it until I wqs merging into traffic during rush hour, I about got creamed!!

Maco 10-22-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 451373)
I once drove an 80's Datsun 280z that had a similar set-up from the factory: a "dual spring" accelerator. But I think it was intended more as a "power mode" feature. You had to push fairly hard on the pedal when the 2nd spring came into play.

Hi I tried that in my first few attempts, it was not accurate and I destroyed the accelerator cable

MetroMPG 10-22-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 451381)
Is this more of a nanny device that helps unskilled/ inattentive drivers?

I would say so - like the previously mentioned block of wood, but with a failsafe for power when you need it.

Maco - you will discover that the majority of the forum members here are extremely attentive in their driving habits.

Still, on a long drive on mostly flat roads, I could see the attraction of something like this. (Speaking as someone who doesn't have cruise control.)

Maco 10-22-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 451378)
You linked the video, but not your site, which is weird.

Hi the first 5 posts dont allow websites in this forum so I couldnt add the website sorry about that its I am only on post 4 - lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 451378)
I really think that you wanted to say "It reduces your fuel bill by ≥ 20%."

In the lab test the Engineer wrote that driver behavior affects fuel consumption by up to 30% so it has potential to go to 30% but I dont want to claim any more than what I got from the Accredited Lab test but on my own vehicles I have managed to get 25%.

With regards to speeding the vehicle in the video is in km/h and the speed limit in my country is 120 km/h so we were actually 10 km/h under the posted speed, the drivers in my country get upset if you hold them up, most of them cruise at 140 km/h + in order to have reasonable acceleration there are limits as to how slow you can set the final speed if set to say 80 km/h the acceleration is so slow you would have people hooting at you - you can however over ride the device by just pushing through the mechanism and accelerate at a reasonable pace and then lift off re arm and then cruise at 80km/h that would work but most of the savings are done during the acceleration component. Wind resistance is not linear so the slower you drive the better for sure but here I am surrounded by maniacs : )

Full throttle is hard to see in that video actually that accelerator in that vehicle is not a good example, but its a diesel on a petrol car its much more distinctive and more easily identified when giving an example. Just to be clear full throttle can be implemented at any time (unlike a block of wood) when you lift off completely the mechanism rearms its self automatically this is better illustrated on the home page of our website just press play on the photo. I have added the link to the lab test, the test center is a National Test Center used by Mercedes Benz and BMW for emissions testing. So I do have hard proof of the 20% claim. Its a fun thing to have on your car it does a lot more than just save fuel.
youtube.com/watch?v=zccN6KHpmJs

Maco 10-22-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 451381)
If I understand this correctly, the device modifies pedal travel? Is this more of a nanny device that helps unskilled/ inattentive drivers?

My sister-in-laws parents had a buick lesabre with a peice of 3/4 plywood under the pedal. I didn't find out about it until I wqs merging into traffic during rush hour, I about got creamed!!

Yes it is described in the patent as a "Drivers Aid" and for long haul truck drivers its an absolute pleasure to use as you can rest your foot on the accelerator. Cruise controls add fuel to maintain speed up hills this device does not you just have to change down.

I did not release this product immediately the lab tests were done over 10 years ago. I have had them on my cars ever since, I was just making sure that the design is safe, part of my job is as a safety officer on the mines during equipment maintenance and installation so I am a bit obsessive when it comes to making sure no one gets hurt. I am a mechanical machine designer by trade and I have been working for companies that do Mining R&D for the past 30 years.

The reason why the AK 47 is such a good assault rifle is because it has massive clearances between the moving parts so dust and grit doesn't jam it. I drew on that in this design the shaft is 8mm and the hole in the plate is 12mm so you could pour sand over it and it wont jam, you will always be able to have full throttle when ever you need it - so it is safe to use.
All the rubbing surfaces, the main plate and the 8mm rod are made of stainless steel so it should last for at least 20 years and the rod can be screwed out and replaced as its part of the adjustment mechanism to set the speed. My one on my car was just polished in that area and that was after about 5 years.

elhigh 10-22-2014 04:03 PM

This is a bit like Honda's including their "Eco Assist" driver training aid on their other vehicles than just the hybrid. It encourages thriftier behavior. Or in the case of the specific example in the top video, it makes wasteful behavior a bit more difficult to do, and humans are lazy.

Maco 10-22-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 451390)
I would say so - like the previously mentioned block of wood, but with a failsafe for power when you need it.

Maco - you will discover that the majority of the forum members here are extremely attentive in their driving habits.

Still, on a long drive on mostly flat roads, I could see the attraction of something like this. (Speaking as someone who doesn't have cruise control.)

Actually this device works well in town too it works in every gear right from pull away and you can use the gears to achieve different set speeds in different speed zones if top speed is set to 110km/h it will do some thing like 90 in 4th and 70 in third.
I cant remember the exact speeds as I haven't driven a petrol or diesel for over a year now.I have converted my Smart for Two to pure electric DC battery power and to pull less amps to improve range I designed around max rpm on the motors to cruise at 60 km/h the cost to charge up after a full discharge is $0.22 (52V down to 48V) and the range is 20km at this stage will go to 25km when I up it to a 60V system so it costs me $1.10 per 100 km which makes me smile a lot, sitting at traffic lights in absolute silence is some thing I dont think I will ever get used to.
I am also going to carry a small 2.2kW generator on board so I can go further and not have to ask strangers to plug in its not an efficient method but its ok I dont drive long distances often and if I have to go really far I rent a car for the day.

Baltothewolf 10-22-2014 05:11 PM

I'm not in a position to look at the video and won't be for several hours, so I'll just ask. Can you limit how much throttle you can apply before it gets difficult? If so, then this device is something I would definitely consider as it would help my city driving. I could focus more on driving and less time making sure I don't go over 31% throttle while accelerating.

Maco 10-22-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 451408)
I'm not in a position to look at the video and won't be for several hours, so I'll just ask. Can you limit how much throttle you can apply before it gets difficult? If so, then this device is something I would definitely consider as it would help my city driving. I could focus more on driving and less time making sure I don't go over 31% throttle while accelerating.

The short answer is Yes

There is around 5 to 10 mm clearance under the devices rod, between the rod and the floor. When you put your foot down the accelerator moves down and the stainless steel shaft hits the floor and the mechanism gives the impression that your foot has bottomed out and has hit the floor. In this state in top gear your vehicle will achieve the set speed as the stainless steel shaft has M8 threads on it so you can fine tune the set speed. When you apply a very small additional force the mechanism releases the black plastic housing from the main plate and you can apply full throttle in an emergency or for overtaking. Lift off completely, mechanism rearms automatically re apply throttle gently and the vehicle will slow down to the speed limit, if you have just overtaken another car on a single lane road.
In an automatic car you just rest your foot on the accelerator and it does every thing for you until you at the speed limit. In a manual car stick shift you rev the engine until it maxes out at around 3000 rpm then change gear - you dont have to do that in first gear you only start in second as there is a bit too much grunt in first gear so you use less than the provided stop in first gear. I have posted more than 5 posts here so I can now post web links - here is the link to my website - on the home page there is a photo on the right hand side if you move your mouse over it there is a "press play" icon this will give you a slide show of how it works which is actually more clear than the youtube video
http://fuelsavingdevice.webs.com/

Frank Lee 10-22-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

In this state in top gear your vehicle will achieve the set speed as the stainless steel shaft has M8 threads on it so you can fine tune the set speed.
I'd think that "set speed" would be different all the time- constantly varying grades, winds, temps...

Baltothewolf 10-22-2014 06:01 PM

I don't see a pricing anywhere? Maybe I'm just blind O.o.

Maco 10-22-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 451415)
I'd think that "set speed" would be different all the time- constantly varying grades, winds, temps...

Yes you are correct this statement is only valid on a flat road with zero head or tail wind.

From my own experience driving with this I have never noticed the difference from wind alone, but I dont live in a very windy part of the world I am sure you would notice it at the coast. When you go up a slight incline it will loose 5 km or so, you get it back on the down hill side though if you willing to allow it to happen. Only on a massive incline like when you go into the mountains then you have two choices either:
1) Change down and maintain the setting on the accelerator or
2) Just apply more accelerator, in most cases applying more accelerator doesnt actually feel very impressive compared with the optimal set position, this applies to small engined cars, by adding more fuel you mess up the 14:1 fuel air mixture and the power doesnt feel proportional to the accelerator input you get a bit more but not much if you dont change down.
Of course on the bigger engines things do happen, I fitted a 400 cubic inch 6.9L Chevy into a 1988 Toyota Supra it had gas flowed heads, 10:1 compression, racing cams, and was statically and dynamically balanced.
At 160 km/h if I stomped on the accelerator the bonnet used to lift up 4 inches..... it was a beast.
That vehicle used to consume 25L per 100 km or 9.4 miles per gallon if I was in a hurry. I changed the diff ratio to 2.9:1 and fitted one of these fuel saving devices and I got it down to 12L per 100km or 19.6 miles to the gallon at at a set speed of 140km/h or 87 mph it wasn't fuel injected it had a big Holley double pumper on it. For a big engine like that I was happy with the fuel consumption as it was comparable with a 3 Liter standard car.

Maco 10-22-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 451418)

Its $100 excluding delivery to your front door.

I am keeping the price as low as I can as the planet is not getting any greener with the global warming thing going on.

In addition, to help spread the word, if you want to, you automatically become a distributor and you can sell them for what ever price you like.

This video scared me a bit, the CO2 levels are almost double what the planet has seen in the last 400 000 years so fitting one of these fuel saving devices could possibly cut emissions as well, so you will be a little more eco friendly too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHzADl-XID8

Maco 10-22-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 451418)

Thanks for pointing it out, it was buried in the description in the youtube video and not in an obvious place, you had to expand the text to find it.
I have updated my websites home page and put in the first 3 lines in bold.
So if you go back into the website and see it on the front page larger than life - don't think you going crazy :eek: I have changed the webpage to make it easier to find. Thanks.

spacemanspif 10-22-2014 09:27 PM

I think this is a great alternative to hand throttles that are popular on here. Instead of an extra throttle and other junk cluttering up the driver's area, this little gadget can be set to the throttle position you want for constant throttle while driving on the highway. Assuming the spring is robust enough to act as a throttle stop that your foot can rest on while driving it will enable you to gain and lose speed while going up and down the hills which is where we lose MPG while using cruise control. Neat idea Maco, if I had $100+ laying around I'd think about trying one out.

Maco 10-22-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspif (Post 451454)
I think this is a great alternative to hand throttles that are popular on here. Instead of an extra throttle and other junk cluttering up the driver's area, this little gadget can be set to the throttle position you want for constant throttle while driving on the highway. Assuming the spring is robust enough to act as a throttle stop that your foot can rest on while driving it will enable you to gain and lose speed while going up and down the hills which is where we lose MPG while using cruise control. Neat idea Maco, if I had $100+ laying around I'd think about trying one out.

Thanks for the compliment much appreciated.
Just so every one knows because I want to save people time if they want to try and build their own versions - there are no springs in this device, I tried springs on the carburetor and on the accelerator and even big return springs from a huge workshop metal guillotine (8 coils 7mm wire diameter, outside diameter 40mm 100mm long) did not give reliable and accurate results the speed always had around a 15 km/h variance just via different foot pressures, plus over time hard springs will damage the accelerator pivot point.
There are no springs in this device the mechanism is accurate to around 0.2mm every time you use it, springs cant do that, they float around at about 3mm it doesn't work its a pain in the ....
I started working on this in 1987 its taken 16 years of trying and testing to get it right. I almost gave up, then one day it all fell into place and became clear to me what to use, to build a safe accurate and reliable mechanism with no springs, hooks or catches that could jam and become a block of wood under the pedal, and possibly cause an accident. Its not what it appears to be, this is a precision instrument.

Ecky 10-22-2014 10:14 PM

For those other G1 Insight owners out there, staying in lean burn is based on throttle position...

Fantastic idea. $100 is more than I'd like to spend on this kind of mod but it's cheaper than aftermarket cruise control. I'll probably play with low-rate springs for a bit and see if I run into what you did.

EDIT: A 2-stage mechanism would be ideal for the Insight. The upper one would be best as a tactile-feedback (a click), with your resistance setup for the lower one.

http://i.imgur.com/oCzmWrQ.gif

Xist 10-22-2014 11:08 PM

Since most HXes cannot have cruise control, this is one option, with the aforementioned hand throttle being another, but as Frank Lee pointed out, this really only works on level ground.

How much resistance does it add when you need to push it all of the way down?

Maco 10-23-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 451471)
Since most HXes cannot have cruise control, this is one option, with the aforementioned hand throttle being another, but as Frank Lee pointed out, this really only works on level ground.

How much resistance does it add when you need to push it all of the way down?

Its around 4kg or 9 pounds.

As a Cruise Control it works best on a flat surface.
As a Fuel Saving Device it works best on hill climbs and during the acceleration component.
Please have a look at the Lab Test I posted earlier.

Thanks.

MetroMPG 10-23-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecky (Post 451465)

cool! :d